New Sword

Gyakuto128 137

Grandmaster
Supporting Member
I’ve received the opportunity to be the ā€˜new custodian’ of two art swords forged by Enomoto Sadahito. They are truly beautiful
sadayoshi sugata.webp


These are high resolution images and if you zoom in, you can see the ā€˜jihada’ or the grain in the steel. It’s called mokume or ā€˜wood burl’ due to its similarity to knots in timber. It shows the incredible skill of the ā€˜Saku’ (swordsmith).
Sadayoshi close-up.webp


The hamon (temper border) is notare which means ā€˜irregular wave’ characterised by gentle, flowing, wide waves resembling ocean swells. I love the two peaks the saku has added to the contour. You might notice the width of the hamon increases a little toward the tip end (kissaki) of the blade (the monouchi-the section used for actual cutting). This harks back to the style of Nambukuchō period swords (1336-1392) when it was widened in case of damage on the battlefield; the blade could hastily be resharpened and continued to be effectively used. The tip is longer than usual and called Ōkissaki.

The habaki (collars) are made of shibuichi covered in a thick gold foil which has been textured.
 
Do watch these two incredible videos of Ford Hallam’s skills.
 
The second sword as part of the daishō is a ā€˜kowakizashi’ or a small short sword (I’d call it a long tantō (dagger).
Sadayoshi tanto sugata.webp


It has a well-packed itame jihada that looks like wood grain and a notare hamon and is in ā€˜hira zukuri’ blade shape (flat rather than with a ridge line) which is usual for tantō and some wakizashi.

IMG_4883.webp
 
I now have to make the long journey (for a Brit it’s a long way!) up to Scotland where it currently resides and bring it down to sunny Devon and it’s new home.
 
It seems I was mistaken about the swordsmith (ā€˜saku’) of this sword. My friend who’s sold this sword to me, phoned for a chat and it he informed me that the Saku was actually Sadayoshi Enomoto (1906-2000), the father of whom I thought was the smith. This is extremely significant because Sadayoshi san was designated as ā€˜Mukansa (ē„”é‘‘ęŸ») translates literally to’without judgement’ or excerpt from inspection’s in the context of Nihontō (Japanese swords). It is a prestigious, high-ranking designation awarded to contemporary Japanese swordsmiths whose work has reached such an elite level of mastery that it no longer requires screening for awards at the annual Modern Sword Art Exhibition.
20260313_184449.webp


This also explains its cost 😬
 
I hate you. Affectionately and enviously.
same.
It seems I was mistaken about the swordsmith (ā€˜saku’) of this sword. My friend who’s sold this sword to me, phoned for a chat and it he informed me that the Saku was actually Sadayoshi Enomoto (1906-2000), the father of whom I thought was the smith. This is extremely significant because Sadayoshi san was designated as ā€˜Mukansa (ē„”é‘‘ęŸ») translates literally to’without judgement’ or excerpt from inspection’s in the context of Nihontō (Japanese swords). It is a prestigious, high-ranking designation awarded to contemporary Japanese swordsmiths whose work has reached such an elite level of mastery that it no longer requires screening for awards at the annual Modern Sword Art Exhibition.
View attachment 33965

This also explains its cost 😬
i am curious about the cost.
 
We do a similar thing with ZNKR’s Ukenagashi and train wishing a hoola-hoop to keep things nice and compact.
 
Stabbing the thenar webspace of one’s left hand is the worst I’ve seen/done but there are a couple of kata that can lead to stabbing the left upper arm (tsuka ate) should one’s concentration lapse.
 
Stabbing the thenar webspace of one’s left hand is the worst I’ve seen/done but there are a couple of kata that can lead to stabbing the left upper arm (tsuka ate) should one’s concentration lapse.
My friend shot himself through the hand with a too short arrow. He didn’t even feel it and was looking down range for his impact.
 
Stabbing the thenar webspace of one’s left hand is the worst I’ve seen/done but there are a couple of kata that can lead to stabbing the left upper arm (tsuka ate) should one’s concentration lapse.

Utsuseme.


Wish I could find a better demonstration of it...
 
I could be months before I can pick up my sword 😢😭 Conquer haste and all that…deep breaths 4-7-8
 
The sword has a name!

Sōhō Setsu (åŒå³°é›Ŗ)

Meaning of the Name

åŒå³°é›Ŗ — Sōhō Setsu
  • 双 (sō) — twin, paired
  • å³° (hō) — mountain peak or summit
  • 雪 (setsu / yuki) — snow
Literal meaning:
ā€˜Snow on Twin Peaks.’

The imagery evokes two mountain summits capped with fresh snow, which fits hamon beautifully—those two bright peaks along its length resemble snowy summits rising from a ridge.

In Japanese poetry and art, snow on mountain peaks symbolises:

  • Purity
  • Stillness
  • Refinement
  • Enduring strength
This imagery appears frequently in classical works such as winter mountain scenes in ukiyo-e prints, including those by Katsushika Hokusai and Utagawa Hiroshige.

Thus the sword’s name feels quietly noble rather than boastful, which aligns well with traditional Japanese aesthetics like wabi-sabi and yÅ«gen (subtle beauty).

In a poetic sense, it can be read almost like a short phrase or title, similar to names given to famous blades such as Mikazuki Munechika.

A Slightly More Poetic Interpretation

Rather than just ā€˜Snow on the Twin Peaks’ the name can evoke a fuller image: Two silent peaks rising from the steel, crowned with winter snow. That imagery suits a calm, elegant blade like this one.


Twin peaks on steel—
snowy mountain ridge,
moonlight along its edge.
 
Back
Top