New staff came in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I purchased this staff Big Boy White Wax Wood Staff and it came in yesterday. I haven't had a chance to use it, but so far it looks to be a good purchase. It's the 2nd biggest staff that I own. I was hoping it would be the same size or thicker than my first staff but it isn't. The staff is lighter than my original staff and has a really good balance. I'll try it out once it stops raining and some of the humidity goes away. The new staff is straight for a natural staff. Branch knots limit how straight a staff will be and most of the time there's a slight curve, but not something that affects the use of the staff It won't affect the swing of it like my original staff which has a weighted resting spot.

Now if it would only stop raining.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The white wax has one end bigger than the other end. It's used for spear that you hold the large end and use the small end for spear head. It's not suitable for staff.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The white wax has one end bigger than the other end. It's used for spear that you hold the large end and use the small end for spear head. It's not suitable for staff.
It's suitable just not "perfect". I think any that uses a natural staff is looking for imperfection within reason. One has to accept that it will not be balanced.

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How long is it?

My preferred weapon is my baseball bat. It's metal, so more durable.

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like straight out of a Shaolin Kung Fu movie.

Did you hit the jackpot of being in a State where they have a weapons-based martial art dojo? Here where I live, it's mostly MMA, grappling, and boxing folks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you train for spear technique, the white wax pole is much longer.

long_pole.jpg
long_pole_1.jpg

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like straight out of a Shaolin Kung Fu movie.

Did you hit the jackpot of being in a State where they have a weapons-based martial art dojo? Here where I live, it's mostly MMA, grappling, and boxing folks.
When I got into Kung Fu, the only thing I knew was that Kung Fu had weapons and all I needed was a system that was practical and straight forward. If it wasn't Jow Ga then it would have been something else that used weapons. The only real luck that I had was taking a chance on Jow Ga Kung Fu and it's been one of the better choices in my life. lol

Karate, Hapkido, and TKD rule where I live.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In CMA, peoople usually learn

- staff first and then learn spear later on.
- single edge knife first then learn double edges sword later on.
I don't think there's any single edge knife forms in the Jow Ga association that I trained under. We have double daggers which is a double blade. I'll try to teach myself that as I recorded the form from when my son learned it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think there's any single edge knife forms in the Jow Ga association that I trained under. We have double daggers which is a double blade. I'll try to teach myself that as I recorded the form from when my son learned it.
The broadsword (dao) is knife. I imagine that exists in Jow ga?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The broadsword (dao) is knife. I imagine that exists in Jow ga?
yes we have that, but I was thinking knife and not sword. I don't have a Dao yet nor daggers. I probably should purchase one in the near future

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. I believe knife is a closer translation. We in the West tend to call it a broadsword, although I prefer saber as I feel it captures the shape better. But technically it means knife.
I learned something new today.

Latest Discussions