New Pope Elected!

K

Kempogeek

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany elected! Has taken the name of Pope Benedict XVI. Congratulations Holy Father!!

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
A German? Is that a first?

Martin Luther is probably rolling over in his grave.

I don't even recall a German being a contender. Any scoop on this guy?

Regards,

Steve

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
A German? Is that a first?

Martin Luther is probably rolling over in his grave.

I don't even recall a German being a contender. Any scoop on this guy?

Regards,

Steve

He was the leading contender.

/steve

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ratzinger is the oldest cardinal to be named pope since Clement XII, who was also 78 when he became pope in 1730. He is the first German pope since Victor II (1055-1057).

And, he's a very strong conservative.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Any scoop on this guy?

From what I've read in newspapers, he is ultra conservative, says what he thinks and has earned some nicknames that aren't really too flattering, like "God's rottweiler" and "tank cardinal"

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting.
Given the limited intel I've seen, I'd love to know how the decision was made. What were the deciding factors, etc.

Who knows, he may mellow a bit. After all, being pope is a lot different than being just another cardinal.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The news here in Finland said that this new pope is obviously only a pope for a transitional period because of his age (78). My guess is that he was sort of a compromise, because nobody younger could get enough support

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Who knows, he may mellow a bit. After all, being pope is a lot different than being just another cardinal.

As I understood it, he was more than "just another cardinal". He was named the head of inquisition and he was pope John Paul II right hand man

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just heard on the news that the choice of the name "Benedict" could be a sign of a "softening of his hard-line image" as his namesake was remembered as an intellectual and a moderate.....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TimoS said:
The news here in Finland said that this new pope is obviously only a pope for a transitional period because of his age (78).
Yes, I think that was widely expected, though nothing was for sure!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard he was a strict conservative. Has strong views on abortion, homosexuality etc etc. i.e. its wrong!
Its not my place to question as I'm not a catholic but surely they is no need for such a hard-line person as pope? Surely its going to cause more problems in the future, can they not see that? Or is it just how strictly they follow their own religion that it cannot change!

I dont mean to offend anybody here!

Kind Regards

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Yeah, I heard he was a strict conservative. Has strong views on abortion, homosexuality etc etc. i.e. its wrong!

But on the other hand, being that just about all of the cardinals who were selecting the new pope were handpicked by the previous pope, how liberal do you think any of them were ? I'm only guessing that not too liberal. I agree that this kind of ultra conservative pope, who has said something like that all other groups of christianity are wrong and only catholic church is correct, is likely going to create a lot of problems

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well..he is a Roman Catholic Pope after all. When it comes to the point I really dont know what people expect.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it just goes to show you that I did not get the job.Umm maybe it because I'm Jewish nah that can't be it. I hope the man does a wonderful job it will be hard to be like as much as the last one was.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well it just goes to show you that I did not get the job.Umm maybe it because I'm Jewish nah that can't be it. I hope the man does a wonderful job it will be hard to be like as much as the last one was.
Agreed! The last pope was a good man, the great communicater, lets hope this one upholds that legacy!

Kind regards

Latest Discussions