New Member From FL - Getting Back Into MA

TH420X

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Todd and I am from Lakeland, FL (Tampa Bay Area). Over the years I have studied Karate, Kung Fu, and Aikido, but nothing for any length of time; basically, I'm a noob. I am presently checking out various school in my area to decide where I want to train.

My choices, in the area I live, are Karate, Kung Fu, Aikido, BJJ, MMA, Krav Maga, Tae Kwon Do, and Tai Chi (kinda). I believe my decision will be to train in Wing Chun Kung Fu. I enjoy the flowing style of Kung Fu, as well as the traditionalism and history that goes along with it. My goal is not to train for a UFC cage match or to even compete in tournaments; my goal, rather, is to regain the flexibility and strength I once had as well as to tone my body and maintain my weight (getting older - 33) while also learning a useful skill that I could employ should the need ever arise. As time goes by (years), I would also like to learn some Tai Chi.

Well, that's about it for me. I would like to say thank you for all of the useful information contained in this site and contributed by everyone.

-Todd

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Those are great reasons to start training in MA. Keep in touch and let us know how you are enjoying Wing Chun

Chris

OP
TH420X

TH420X

White Belt
Reaction score
What I meant by "kinda" is that there is a guy who teaches it one Saturday a month, for an hour, in the park, for free. Not really something I could study to become proficient in due to only having 12 hours of training per year.

The Wing Chun has been great. I went ahead and finished out my research on the different schools last week and decided that the Wing Chun Kung Fu was what I wanted to learn. I really like the style, the school, the Sifu, and the students. Obviously, I signed up. All in all it is a great match. Plus, there is a total of 14 hours per week that I could attend so it fits very nicely into my schedule. As a bonus, I can learn the traditional Lion Dancing, if I so choose. They do it in the Lakeland Christmas Parade every year. Looks interesting. I'll let you know how it progresses!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I meant by "kinda" is that there is a guy who teaches it one Saturday a month, for an hour, in the park, for free. Not really something I could study to become proficient in due to only having 12 hours of training per year.

The Wing Chun has been great. I went ahead and finished out my research on the different schools last week and decided that the Wing Chun Kung Fu was what I wanted to learn. I really like the style, the school, the Sifu, and the students. Obviously, I signed up. All in all it is a great match. Plus, there is a total of 14 hours per week that I could attend so it fits very nicely into my schedule. As a bonus, I can learn the traditional Lion Dancing, if I so choose. They do it in the Lakeland Christmas Parade every year. Looks interesting. I'll let you know how it progresses!

Thanks

And Wing Chun is a good thing

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So strange to teach only once a month for a year.
Maybe he can teach more if you talk to him. But Wingchun is good and I am glad you found something you enjoy. Best of luck and fortune towards you.

OP
TH420X

TH420X

White Belt
Reaction score
The guy is like a mid-thirties hippie guy who just does it for fun and doesn't want to do it any more than he does. A Birkenstock earthy type. I like the Wing Chun; the Sifu has a great program and it gives me the endurance workout I need now that gravity is trying to set in. :)

Thanks!!

Latest Discussions