New Instructor at Academy

danielle

White Belt
Reaction score
The Master Instructor has retired and a Master from a sister school is running it. It's difficult adjusting since I'm use to the previous instructor. Also, I don't see eye to eye with the new instructor on certain things . Has anyone else experienced this?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably everyone who got a new instructor at any point has experienced this. I've been through it as a student and as an instructor. It takes time to adapt to a new style of teaching. Keep an open mind and give it time. If you're still not seeing eye to eye with the new teacher after a few months, maybe you'll need to look elsewhere.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
What don't you like about the instructor? Has the focus of the class trained drastically? Training with new instructors can be a good thing, so can new training partners. Give it a chance. Tell us what you don't like maybe we can give you better advice.

OP
D

danielle

White Belt
Reaction score
He's authoritative. During belt testing (before the other Master left) a student was trying multiple times to break a board. I went to grab his wrists for support and he told me to let go. I been attempting 540 hook and roundhouse kicks, a kip up and back tuck.I injured my knee doing a back tuck; but still motivated. He said I'm too old for those techniques (25)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
25 years old isn't too old to learn a back tuck. It might be harder than if you were 10, but whatever. If you want to try those techniques, go for it.

OP
D

danielle

White Belt
Reaction score
You are doing gymnastics in a martial arts class?

The backtuck was outside class. However, students do learn it in class on crash matts for demo .

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The backtuck was outside class. However, students do learn it in class on crash matts for demo .

We've never done anything like that for demos or not, we stick to martial arts techniques. I'm not disapproving but just don't see there's any place for non martial arts techniques.

I would say though you are hardly too old, my daughter is a Cheer coach, they have ladies in their forties as wellas older learning and training gymnastics!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We've never done anything like that for demos or not, we stick to martial arts techniques. I'm not disapproving but just don't see there's any place for non martial arts techniques.

Sometimes people do that kind of thing as part of a board break routine or creative form. Yeah, it's flashy and just for fun/to look cool, but so is a 540 kick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people do that kind of thing as part of a board break routine or creative form. Yeah, it's flashy and just for fun/to look cool, but so is a 540 kick.

LOL, we don't do those either. We like the mean, hard fighting stuff. :D

Latest Discussions