New guy....

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, and still very new to the world of Martial Arts. I started doing both Kung Fu, and Ju-jitsu about six months ago, and had no idea how much I would love it! The Kung Fu, is a spin off of Wing Chun, that incorporates some long range strikes to make it little more well rounded, called "Quan Shou Dao Kung Fu". The Ju Jitsu is called "Maki Te Ju-Jitsu" which is a compilation of different styles, both of which are taught in the same club.

So far, practicing Martial Arts has been an amazing experience, and I believe it to be one of the best decisions I've made in my 27 years of life. I'm kind of a forum junkie, and have been on a quest to find a good MA forum to hang around in. So far this seems like a great place, and I really look forward to learning, and contributing where I can.

Thanks, and have a great day!

-Denny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to Mt.
I hope to see your thoughts on many different subjects in the future

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, sounds like you're really enjoying your new studies!

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all! I really appreciate it. People here see much nicer than some of the folks on the other forums I've been checking out. It's kind of a breath of fresh air.

Thank you!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, and still very new to the world of Martial Arts. I started doing both Kung Fu, and Ju-jitsu about six months ago, and had no idea how much I would love it! The Kung Fu, is a spin off of Wing Chun, that incorporates some long range strikes to make it little more well rounded, called "Quan Shou Dao Kung Fu". The Ju Jitsu is called "Maki Te Ju-Jitsu" which is a compilation of different styles, both of which are taught in the same club.

So far, practicing Martial Arts has been an amazing experience, and I believe it to be one of the best decisions I've made in my 27 years of life. I'm kind of a forum junkie, and have been on a quest to find a good MA forum to hang around in. So far this seems like a great place, and I really look forward to learning, and contributing where I can.

Thanks, and have a great day!

-Denny

Wing Chun doesn't need long range strikes to make it more well rounded , if your in punching or kicking range it's on , further out than that is just posturing.

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun doesn't need long range strikes to make it more well rounded , if your in punching or kicking range it's on , further out than that is just posturing.

^In theory, and in most cases you're totally right.

Not all fighters think like us Wing Chun based guys do, and in some of those cases, it can be nice to borrow from other arts.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not all fighters think like us Wing Chun based guys do, and in some of those cases, it can be nice to borrow from other arts.

But when you "borrow to augment", you start changing/loosing the core of what it is. I don't practice WC, but from what I've seen of WC (seen lots), if you're out of range... either close & finish, or walk away since you're already out of contact range.

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But when you "borrow to augment", you start changing/loosing the core of what it is. I don't practice WC, but from what I've seen of WC (seen lots), if you're out of range... either close & finish, or walk away since you're already out of contact range.

Yourself and Mook Jong Man, both have very good points. My Sensei has his logic for teaching what he teaches, and could probably explain it better than I can. Ha ha, I'm still very new, and this is my first MA experience ever.

We stick to most of the main principals of Wing Chun (WC style foot work, center-line theory, rolling punches, Chi Sou practice, ect ect.) but, like most all MA's practiced here in the US, it has been altered to better suit the geographical fighting style/culture.

I could be wrong, but from what I've read/heard, it is nearly impossible to find any MA clubs that practices a purely traditional style, unless you are near the place of the arts origin. And even at that rate, they try to stick to family, and aren't willing to just let some guy such as myself, just join in at any time. Ha ha.

Again, I could be wrong about that, and will be the first to admit it, if I am. That's why I'm here, to learn:)

-Denny

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yourself and Mook Jong Man, both have very good points. My Sensei has his logic for teaching what he teaches, and could probably explain it better than I can. Ha ha, I'm still very new, and this is my first MA experience ever.

Good enjoy it!

We stick to most of the main principals of Wing Chun (WC style foot work, center-line theory, rolling punches, Chi Sou practice, ect ect.) but, like most all MA's practiced here in the US, it has been altered to better suit the geographical fighting style/culture.

I'm disagreeing with this statement. Where you find altered MA's is a variety of reasons. Some are valid, most are to accomodate the ego of the person altering & "founding" something new.

I could be wrong, but from what I've read/heard, it is nearly impossible to find any MA clubs that practices a purely traditional style, unless you are near the place of the arts origin. And even at that rate, they try to stick to family, and aren't willing to just let some guy such as myself, just join in at any time. Ha ha.

Again... a bit of a disagreement. There's plenty of TMA out there that keep & hold the traditions as passed on & are brutally effective in today's world as back in Qing Dynasty (and before) China. You just gotta look & sometimes, there's just nothing handy. No fault of your own on that. So you go with what you got. But there's plenty out there to be had.

Again, I could be wrong about that, and will be the first to admit it, if I am. That's why I'm here, to learn:)

-Denny

We're all here for that... and to rag & bag each other & people who aren't around to defend themselves, talk tons of crap & get along. Have fun!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

In Wing Chun there are basically three stages of realistic fighting , if we discount the grappling range , although it could be argued that Chi Sau is a vertical grappling range.

The three stages are " Bridging the Gap " using a kick to safely traverse the distance between kicking and punching range .

" Chi Sau " contact with the opponents arms has been made.
Then the last stage is striking.
It is irrelevant what other fighters think , they are either going to be in fighting range or not.

Other styles will have a slight reach advantage with one arm and leg because they fight from a side on stance , but this advantage can be nullified by speedy footwork.
Anybody who thinks that Wing Chun needs long range strikes needs to work on their closing in speed.

I remember seeing my late Sifu once demonstrate a charging knee , a technique used when the opponent is outside of kicking range .
From standing still he exploded across a gap of about three metres in the blink of an eye to finish up with his fist right in front of someones nose.

That footwork and ability to bridge a large gap is contained within the Bart Jarm Dao form , mainly because the butterfly knives are short in comparison with the reach advantage of the long pole .

To overcome this reach advantage , the knife form focuses on footwork that covers a lot of ground fast , so that the wielder of the knives can deflect the heavy blows from the pole which can be 3.6 metres long and quickly move in for the kill.

The problem is that people don't stick with the system long enough to get to the stage where they learn this stuff , so they go out and start teaching and think that somehow the system is lacking something and needs to be added to.

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good enjoy it! I definitely am. It's been a wonderful experience.

I'm disagreeing with this statement. Where you find altered MA's is a variety of reasons. Some are valid, most are to accomodate the ego of the person altering & "founding" something new. I'm sure that you are right on the money with this, in majority of cases. After Bruce Lee invented JKD, it seemed to create a whirl wind of people creating new stlyes, and offshoots. Many of which, I'm sure have a lot to do with feeding the ego.

Again... a bit of a disagreement. There's plenty of TMA out there that keep & hold the traditions as passed on & are brutally effective in today's world as back in Qing Dynasty (and before) China. You just gotta look & sometimes, there's just nothing handy. No fault of your own on that. So you go with what you got. But there's plenty out there to be had. I was hoping to find something a little more traditional, but the ones who claimed to be traditional in my area, turned out to be the definition of a Mc Dojo. Examples:Handing belt colors out every couple of months, charging ridicules amounts for testing, charging $300+ a month for two classes a week. In my opinion, that's not how a TMA should operate. Maybe one day, I'll get lucky enough to find a good, solid TMA Dojo. Until then, I'm very happy.

We're all here for that... and to rag & bag each other & people who aren't around to defend themselves, talk tons of crap & get along. Have fun!
So basically it's just like any other forum I've ever been on:slapfight: Ha ha! I'll feel right at home then!

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Wing Chun there are basically three stages of realistic fighting , if we discount the grappling range , although it could be argued that Chi Sau is a vertical grappling range.

The three stages are " Bridging the Gap " using a kick to safely traverse the distance between kicking and punching range .

" Chi Sau " contact with the opponents arms has been made.
Then the last stage is striking.
It is irrelevant what other fighters think , they are either going to be in fighting range or not.

Other styles will have a slight reach advantage with one arm and leg because they fight from a side on stance , but this advantage can be nullified by speedy footwork.
Anybody who thinks that Wing Chun needs long range strikes needs to work on their closing in speed.

I remember seeing my late Sifu once demonstrate a charging knee , a technique used when the opponent is outside of kicking range .
From standing still he exploded across a gap of about three metres in the blink of an eye to finish up with his fist right in front of someones nose.

That footwork and ability to bridge a large gap is contained within the Bart Jarm Dao form , mainly because the butterfly knives are short in comparison with the reach advantage of the long pole .

To overcome this reach advantage , the knife form focuses on footwork that covers a lot of ground fast , so that the wielder of the knives can deflect the heavy blows from the pole which can be 3.6 metres long and quickly move in for the kill.

The problem is that people don't stick with the system long enough to get to the stage where they learn this stuff , so they go out and start teaching and think that somehow the system is lacking something and needs to be added to.

Closing the gap hasn't been forgotten in the practice I've chosen. I just started working on "the hidden step", small T-steps, and finally am getting better with my shuffling forward quickly, while rolling punches. Or at least getting better at doing it properly. Ha ha. My sensei has demonstrated moving in quickly several times, as well as some students, and it is VERY impressive! I had no idea that a human could actually move that fast. I thought it was just a movie-Fu thing.

I understand your reasoning for the opinions you have, and respect it very much. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" Right? Well, my options are limited, when it comes to places to go for MA education, and so far it is working out very well for me. It may not be the best, most original, or what you would like to practice, but I am very happy to be doing what I'm doing.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Closing the gap hasn't been forgotten in the practice I've chosen. I just started working on "the hidden step", small T-steps, and finally am getting better with my shuffling forward quickly, while rolling punches. Or at least getting better at doing it properly. Ha ha. My sensei has demonstrated moving in quickly several times, as well as some students, and it is VERY impressive! I had no idea that a human could actually move that fast. I thought it was just a movie-Fu thing.

I understand your reasoning for the opinions you have, and respect it very much. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" Right? Well, my options are limited, when it comes to places to go for MA education, and so far it is working out very well for me. It may not be the best, most original, or what you would like to practice, but I am very happy to be doing what I'm doing.

As long as the system is practical and you enjoy the training that is the main thing .
You could be studying under one of the original "Closed Door Student's" but if you don't enjoy the training then you are never going to go to class and train are you .

Latest Discussions