New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who believe Mr Weiss over me

Here's is a pattern delivery approved by General Choi himself.

Zero hip twist punching...

Sir, You must be looking at a different video. GM Lu's hip moves in the direction of the punch. I will leave it for others to state what they see (one person already has) . If you see this and you don't think this is "Hip Twist" them perhaps you misunderstand what hip twist means.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Low high low. that's it.

I guess the originator forgot the part where you twist the hips.

So, an instructor demonstrates to make a certain point and you forget everything else they teach. Here is a true story I tell my students. Friend had a truck driving school with simulators which taught student how to shift. Then they would go out in the yard to do it on actual trucks they drove. Students starts driving and shifting without steering. Instructor starts yelling at the student saying "you have to steer". Student says "I didn't have to steer on that thing inside". Same, if I teach a sparring technique and have my hands down so I can see students and they can hear me better, someone could see the clip and claim I am teaching them to spar with my hands down.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, an instructor demonstrates to make a certain point and you forget everything else they teach. Here is a true story I tell my students. Friend had a truck driving school with simulators which taught student how to shift. Then they would go out in the yard to do it on actual trucks they drove. Students starts driving and shifting without steering. Instructor starts yelling at the student saying "you have to steer". Student says "I didn't have to steer on that thing inside". Same, if I teach a sparring technique and have my hands down so I can see students and they can hear me better, someone could see the clip and claim I am teaching them to spar with my hands down.
Agreed. Most demonstrations (and many drills) focus on specific principles, so may (purposely or not) leave others out. There are footwork drills I've done that specfically require the hands down, so you HAVE to move enough to get out of the way of the "attack".

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
His intention in that short clip is pointing out the basic principles of the sinewave motion, nothing more.

And they do not contain hip twist as you can see. Performers kept it in at varying degrees despite the fact that he removed it from his own parameters.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I do not believe for a moment that General Choi advocated hip twisting punches for Sine Wave in his instructor seminars. Are you going to tell us that he did?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think I recall that you have 4 years of instruction in TKD. Assuming your schedule was like most (2-5 hours/week) during that time, it's unsurprising you don't see the hip twist. It's not much, but it's there. Subtleties are hard to learn to see.

There are several times it's not there at all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several times it's not there at all.
There are times he's isolating specific components for demonstration, so yes. But that's not the same as the "zero" you earlier claimed. I can demonstrate parts of a punch, too, and each "part" leaves out part of the mechanics. That in no way supposes that I don't encourage or teach those mechanics. I've even had students (who were having trouble with a specific part of the punch) purposely leave out other parts they were using to compensate for the lack. Where you see him trying to teach how the sine wave movement works, he may in fact purposely be limiting hip twist so folks will focus on the part he's trying to correct.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
And they do not contain hip twist as you can see. Performers kept it in at varying degrees despite the fact that he removed it from his own parameters.

[IRONY]So the correct way to perform ITF Taekwon-Do is wearing leather shoes, a nice shirt and dress pants? And there is no power nor speed in the correct punching and blocking when applying the SineWave?

It's crazy that so many Masters didn't notice and realize all this. Thanks for finding valuable sources on YouTube and spreading the truth!

[/IRONY]

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed. Most demonstrations (and many drills) focus on specific principles, so may (purposely or not) leave others out. There are footwork drills I've done that specfically require the hands down, so you HAVE to move enough to get out of the way of the "attack".

The exhibit wasn't about footwork but it was about punching. Your analogy fails. You should think about a career as lawyer because the excuses for General Chois complete disregard for hip twist are getting more and more elaborate.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
The exhibit wasn't about footwork but it was about punching. Your analogy fails. [...]

You don't think the exhibit was about moving the body down before going up and then going down again?
Instead of just raising and then lowering the body?

Also he's showing a block. And different stances... I don't understand how this was about punching.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't think the exhibit was about moving the body down before going up and then going down again?
Instead of just raising and then lowering the body?

Also he's showing a block. And different stances... I don't understand how this was about punching.

If hip twist was an automatic part of that motion for him, he would do it even if the point raised was about sinking and raising, since It would be part of his muscle memory. His exhibit is very incriminating evidence.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For those who believe Mr Weiss over me

Here's is a pattern delivery approved by General Choi himself.

Zero hip twist punching...

The quickest and easiest way to verify this is to simply watch the belt. The belt he is wearing is relatively short and appears rather stiff, possibly newer. Regardless, the belt still moves as a reaction to the hip twist motion.

Your assertion is completely false.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No sir, he did not. You are mistaken. As I have pointed out the text still mentions it and as you can see of the video you post with GM Lu it's still there. I have no idea where you got this mistaken impression from aside from stating someone senior to me told you so.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not believe for a moment that General Choi advocated hip twisting punches for Sine Wave in his instructor seminars. Are you going to tell us that he did?
There is no doubt about it . He covered it several times in each Instructor course. I took notes during each IIC I attended. This entry appears several times. If you don't "believe" it them you must have interviewed several people with different experience.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir, This is totally false. I am acquainted with many performers in the videos with the Black background and to somehow claim they kept something General Choi removed is disingenuous.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If hip twist was an automatic part of that motion for him, he would do it even if the point raised was about sinking and raising, since It would be part of his muscle memory. His exhibit is very incriminating evidence.
Sir, do you just make this stuff up on the spur of the moment or do these fabrications take you a little time to come up with? I think most if not all instructors on here will state that they isolate motions all the time when teaching - some already have.
While I have been trying to provide you with information establishing your rash generalizations based on limited observations are erroneous I am quickly coming to the conclusion it's hopeless.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, do you just make this stuff up on the spur of the moment or do these fabrications take you a little time to come up with? .

You were the one erroneously equating "jerking the hip and abdomen" with twisting it, and then moved on.

If he meant twist, he would have written twist. But nothing is to going to convince you. If it doesn't say what you want it to say, you will reconstruct it to do so, or pull a quote out of context.

So, I will bow out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, since you can't separate motions and use them independently, nobody can. Got it.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And "don't twist your body" was reconstructed by the lawyer to mean don't twist your shoulders.

There, I''m done.

Latest Discussions