Nerves and Muay Thai

dan.g

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm pretty much zero in Muay Thai, having trained in Judo and Karate many years back when I was much younger. I'm looking into learning MT, currently researching the theory aspect of it, and have a question:
Since Muay Thai incorporates so much elbows and knees, I am wondering how one is able to protect the nerve points (the ones between the bone on the elbow for example - when you touch them you feel nerve rushing up to the pinky)? Do you pretty much train to the point where you kill the nerves? Is it good in the long run for overall health?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
"elbow strike" is often something of a misnomer. what you're actually striking with most of the time is about a 3 inch area on your forearm, just below the elbow. if you strike with the actual elbow, you are usually throwing it in an arc to induce cuts rather than an actual concussive blow. also when you throw an elbow, your palm should be open. the moves most of the tissue out of the way so that you are striking with the bone of the forearm.

however your shins will get all banged to hell. if you do hard core long term shin hardening, you will probably have health issues later. but if you just kick the bag & spar (which is what most fighters in thailand do) you won't have much trouble.

jf

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know from time to time I've felt a few "zingers" up my arms before and few in my legs from knees, elbows, kicks, blocks etc. You pretty much just ignore them and keep on hitting or you can pause and get hit. It's like the first time you see someone clash shins with someone who's been doing MT a while, one guy drops, the other guy has this amused look on his face. You'll get used to it and you'll be fine.

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never feel any nerve pain or reaction from elbow strikes, whether it's a hard strike or a soft cutting strike as jarrod mentioned.

Elbows are conditioned, like everything else, by hitting heavy bags and thai pads.

Latest Discussions