Need help finding a school that teach japanese jujutsu or combo of japanese jujutsu and aikido.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My family and I will be relocating to Florida soon to find a job in Miami or Tampa area and looking for a martial arts school that teach japanese jujutsu or combo of japanese jujutsu and aikido.

I found some schools but they seem McDojo and some other good schools that are not in the area.

This is a Japanese jujutsu school in Miami but it looks sorta of McDojo
Bushido Florida Dojo Contact

And this on in Miami. That seems like it may be good and less McDojo.
Miyama-ryu Ju-jutsu of Miami - About Us

And this one in Hialeah close to to Miami and one in Hollywood and Davie.

Seems disorganized,overcrowded on the mat, people working way too close to one other and many different uniforms.

May be McDojo.
Atemi-Ryu Ju-Jitsu Home

This one Bushido Knights Ryumore in ‪Dania Beach north of Miami‬

‪It looks odd and sorta of almost ninja like‬
http://www.bushidoknights.com/‬

This is in Tampa bay area. It looks very good a very good web sites and Affiliated schools.

Looks very good.
Tatsumaki Jujutsu Academy Tatsumaki Dojo

And this one here looks very good

The only problem it is in Boca Raton not any where close to Miami or Tampa it is well north of Fort Lauderdale.

Aiki Combatives looks very good.
http://www.aikicombatives.com/

Out of all the schools I found so far the Aiki Combatives in Boca Raton and the one in Tampa seem most interesting for me and best looking. And may be Miyama Ryu Combat Ju-jutsu one.

It would be too long of a drive from Miami to Boca Raton well north of Fort lauderdale. And drive from Miami to Tampa would be out of question.

I do like Miami over any other city in Florida so would like good schools similar to that in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area.

Aiki Combatives one in Boca Raton is too far of drive from Miami.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh boy... Chris Parker is going to have a field day if he sees this thread... :muted:

Personally, it would be none of the above. Something about the American Classical Jujutsu scene just gives me hives. Not saying there's not some good ones out there, but man, some of those schools just scream B.S. all over it.

If someone was searching for a Jujutsu system, I'd tell them to either do Judo, Bjj, or Aikido (and there's some VERY good schools down in Southern Florida) before investing their time and energy into a "classical" Jujutsu school here in the states. So many of them have this air of the instructor studying Judo, Karate, some random Jujutsu system, and then claiming the title of Soke and saying that they're performing traditional Japanese Jujutsu. That school that you said "looks good" is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

In the end though, its your dollar and your time. Visit each school, and see which one suits your needs best.

Good luck in your search.:)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a Japanese jujutsu school in Miami but it looks sorta of McDojo
Bushido Florida Dojo Contact

Don't see anything particularly McDojo-ish about this one. The jujutsu system in question is a modern eclectic system. It supposedly has a Japanese founder, but it still probably has more in common with modern eclectic Western jujutsu systems than it does with classical Japanese jujutsu. The instructor's 6th dan in the Kodokan is a good sign. My biggest objection is that they only have two classes per week.

And this on in Miami. That seems like it may be good and less McDojo.
Miyama-ryu Ju-jutsu of Miami - About Us

Miyama Ryu is a modern eclectic Western jujutsu system. I think elder999 may have some experience with that if I remember correctly.

Atemi Ryu is another modern Western eclectic system. I don't much about it, but the videos don't look very impressive from my perspective.

It looks odd and sorta of almost ninja like‬
http://www.bushidoknights.com/‬

Whatever that is, it's definitely not Japanese jujutsu. From the video, it looks like the instructor may be drawing more as much from FMA as anything else.

This is in Tampa bay area. It looks very good a very good web sites and Affiliated schools.

Looks very good.

Another modern eclectic Western system. I can't find any info on the history, but it looks like the techniques are mostly derived from judo and aikido. Mr. Taylor's technique in the videos looks significantly better than what I saw in the videos for the previous schools.

Aiki Combatives looks very good.
http://www.aikicombatives.com/

Another modern eclectic Western system. I don't actually see that much aikido in it. Looks more like kung-fu striking missed with submission wrestling.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it would be beneficial to redefine your search. What are you after, without regard to names or styles,? Are you looking for locks and holds, throws, strikes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is wrong with American Classical Jujutsu? Or the difference of American Classical Jujutsu,modern eclectic Western jujutsu system vs traditional Japanese Jujutsu.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is wrong with American Classical Jujutsu? Or the difference of American Classical Jujutsu,modern eclectic Western jujutsu system vs traditional Japanese Jujutsu.
I'm not sure what you mean by "American Classical Jujutsu." Any American system of jujutsu is a modern, eclectic form. Typically such systems will have roots in judo and/or aikido, but they may also include elements from karate, kung fu, arnis, and who knows what else.

There's nothing inherently wrong with such systems, but you said you were specifically looking for Japanese jujutsu, so I thought I should point out that most of these schools don't really fall into that category.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

As Tony said, there's nothing inherently wrong with American Classical Jujutsu, it just appears from what you're looking for that schools like the ones you linked probably isn't what you're looking for because they aren't really classical Japanese JJ schools. They're eclectic mixtures of modern styles that pick up the Jujutsu moniker because they want to appear traditional, or they have a desire to revert the modern styles they learned back to their more traditional roots.

For example, a guy studies Aikido and Karate, and eventually achieves instructor rank in one or both styles. Well, he may just merge the two styles together and say he's performing an Aiki-jutsu. He may be a competent instructor teaching you great martial arts, but he's not really teaching you traditional Japanese jujutsu. I personally wouldn't practice in such schools because I don't believe a person can master 5-7 different, unrelated arts, much less smash them together into a competent fighting system.

I also don't personally like the misrepresentation. If you studied Judo, Karate, and Kobudo, why are you claiming to be teaching traditional Jujutsu? Why are you calling yourself Soke? Such practices simply rub me the wrong way.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would look for a good Aikido school (and that shouldn't be too hard to find in Southern Florida). Aikido offers you the standing locks and holds you'd expect from Jujutsu, but also offers you a lot Japanese culture which I think is what you're looking for. Its a purely Japanese art with direct links to Japan and Japanese Jujutsu, and several instructors in that region are respected members of global Aikido federations.

If you're looking for more rough and tumble grappling, there's always Judo or Bjj.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "American Classical Jujutsu." Any American system of jujutsu is a modern, eclectic form. Typically such systems will have roots in judo and/or aikido, but they may also include elements from karate, kung fu, arnis, and who knows what else.

There's nothing inherently wrong with such systems, but you said you were specifically looking for Japanese jujutsu, so I thought I should point out that most of these schools don't really fall into that category.

If I understand it right there is two types of Japanese jujutsu the modern one and the old one. But Japanese jujutsu I think has over 600 styles and each school may modify it some what. So many Japanese jujutsu styles and modification of it you could not learn it all.

Is the modern Japanese jujutsu a bit more striking and some judo and some aikido in it where the old one was opposite of this.

aikido is soft art and so well it nice I was looking for Japanese jujutsu a bit more harder and more strikes and throws,locks and take towns.

If traditional Japanese Jujutsu is more softer and less strikes ,throws and take downs than I will go for the modern one.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to redefine your search. What are you after, without regard to names or styles,? Are you looking for locks and holds, throws, strikes?

I need to understand traditional Japanese Jujutsu vs modern Japanese Jujutsu one. The videos I was looking on the internet may be modern one.

Now I'm more confused with traditional Japanese Jujutsu vs modern one. If the traditional Japanese Jujutsu is softer less throws, take downs and strikes I will go with modern one.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand it right there is two types of Japanese jujutsu the modern one and the old one. But Japanese jujutsu I think has over 600 styles and each school may modify it some what. So many Japanese jujutsu styles and modification of it you could not learn it all.

Is the modern Japanese jujutsu a bit more striking and some judo and some aikido in it where the old one was opposite of this.

Not exactly. Chris will probably be along in a while to give more details from the traditionalist point of view, but I'll do my best to provide a summary until he gets here.

Jujutsu is a large, extended family of martial arts containing considerable variation. The earliest forms were probably intended for armored grappling on the battlefield, but most of the extant classical forms were developed during the Edo period, which was an era of (relative) peace. Some were developed for members of the samurai class as a supplement to their weapons training, others may have been intended for civilian self-defense purposes. In some cases the jujutsu represented a complete art in its own right, in other cases it was just a part of a larger curriculum. Some forms included striking. Some forms included weaponry. In general, the primary focus is on unarmed grappling.

Although there is considerable variation between styles, the schools developed in this time period share certain ideologies and training methodologies common to Japanese martial arts of the time period, which are collectively called koryū arts. Chris can go into more detail concerning the variation and the commonalities, but I will note that the primary form of training in these arts is two-person kata,

After the Meiji restoration (1868), the classical forms of martial arts largely fell out of favor as Japan moved towards modernization and the older martial arts were seen as a relic of the past. It was in this time period that Jigaro Kano created Judo. The techniques of Judo are largely derived from older forms of koryū jujutsu that Kano was trained in (Tenjin Shinyo Ryu and Kito Ryu), but the ideology and training methodology was intended as a modern innovation. Judo spread rapidly across Japan and the world, becoming probably the most widespread member of the jujutsu family. One of the distinguishing features of Judo is the emphasis on randori (freestyle practice). Another is the adaption of the art as a competitive sport.

Aikido was developed in the early 20th century by Morehei Ueshiba as an offshoot of Daito Ryu Aiki-jujutsu. Daito Ryu was established around 1900 by Sokaku Takeda. Takeda claimed a long lineage for the art, but there are no historic records backing up that claim. Nevertheless, the art probably has some basis in earlier forms of jujutsu. Aikido and judo are the two most widespread members of the jujutsu family that were actually founded in Japan.

As early exponents of judo spread across the world (both foreigners who had studied a bit in Japan and official Japanese representatives of the Kodokan), they directly created and/or inspired a host of splinter arts which developed their own flavors and specialties. Some kept the jujutsu/jiu-jitsu name (ex - BJJ, Danzan ryu), some did not (ex - Sombo, Bartitsu). Some added material from other sources (karate, aikido, wrestling, arnis, etc). Some claimed a direct connection to particular koryu schools of jujutsu, although the documentation for these claims is usually lacking. Some emphasize traditional Japanese cultural trappings and language, others boast of being modern and street lethal.

TL;DR - Jujutsu is a land of contrasts.

aikido is soft art and so well it nice I was looking for Japanese jujutsu a bit more harder and more strikes and throws,locks and take towns.

If traditional Japanese Jujutsu is more softer and less strikes ,throws and take downs than I will go for the modern one.

Aikido isn't necessarily "soft" or "nice." Depending on the school and the instructor, it can be rather brutal. It does contain throws, locks, and takedowns although many schools neglect the striking.

In general, almost any school of jujutsu will include throws, locks, and takedowns. Many will also include striking, although the extent will vary.

You can't really make any useful generalizations about older or newer forms of jujutsu being "harder" or "softer." The best thing is to try some different schools and see which ones have a training environment that appeals to you.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As early exponents of judo spread across the world (both foreigners who had studied a bit in Japan and official Japanese representatives of the Kodokan), they directly created and/or inspired a host of splinter arts which developed their own flavors and specialties. Some kept the jujutsu/jiu-jitsu name (ex - BJJ, Danzan ryu), some did not (ex - Sombo, Bartitsu). Some added material from other sources (karate, aikido, wrestling, arnis, etc). Some claimed a direct connection to particular koryu schools of jujutsu, although the documentation for these claims is usually lacking. Some emphasize traditional Japanese cultural trappings and language, others boast of being modern and street lethal.

Aikido isn't necessarily "soft" or "nice." Depending on the school and the instructor, it can be rather brutal. It does contain throws, locks, and takedowns although many schools neglect the striking.

In general, almost any school of jujutsu will include throws, locks, and takedowns. Many will also include striking, although the extent will vary.

You can't really make any useful generalizations about older or newer forms of jujutsu being "harder" or "softer." The best thing is to try some different schools and see which ones have a training environment that appeals to you.

So I think this what you where trying to get at by saying that American system of jujutsu is a modern, eclectic form. It so mixed and bit of this and bit that but nothing. To get proper feel you have train in aikido, japanese jujutsu and Judo than one school trying mix all three.

But I thought to start it does not really matter how real it is, example it is only 20% aikido, 30% japanese jujutsu and 40% Judo and other forms.

You get a bit of feel of all and than later if interested take it separately.

And there many aikido and japanese jujutsu modification and new and old by the seems of it that I would know the difference.

japanese jujutsu and aikido and Judo what I like.

Or better response is sorta of the rougher and faster fighting. More combative aggressive one.

The throws, take downs, pressure points and locks, more striking all three japanese jujutsu, aikido and Judo.

The reason why I said japanese jujutsu is I thought it had more throws, striking, holds, submission and some Judo. May be this was new japanese jujutsu I was looking at on youtube.

Where aikido lot of take downs and locks but less on striking and throws. That aikido was way to get guy on ground and run away not hit the guy on the ground or put him in hold or submission.

That aikido was designed as self defense using the little force than needed. That japanese jujutsu and judo was more aggressive and fighting almost up there as Hapkido.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I think this what you where trying to get at by saying that American system of jujutsu is a modern, eclectic form. It so mixed and bit of this and bit that but nothing. To get proper feel you have train in aikido, japanese jujutsu and Judo than one school trying mix all three.

Not really. I was describing where the various systems come from, but a well designed system is its own thing, regardless of where it comes from. Judo comes from Tenjin Shinyo Ryu and Kito Ryu, but you don't need to train those arts to get a proper feel for Judo. Sombo comes from Judo, Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling, and local forms of wrestling from various Slavic countries, but you don't need to train in those base arts to understand Sombo. Danzan Ryu jujutsu contains elements from Judo, Karate, Kung Fu, Lua, Escrima, and purportedly some older forms of jujutsu (although there is controversy over this), but you don't need training in any of those arts to get a proper feel for Danzan Ryu.

I will say that one test of the quality of a system is how well the various elements that went into it have been integrated into a coherent whole. You can find some schools where the founder has grabbed a smorgasbord of techniques from various sources without regard for the underlying principles that make the techniques work. I would avoid such schools.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For example, a guy studies Aikido and Karate, and eventually achieves instructor rank in one or both styles. Well, he may just merge the two styles together and say he's performing an Aiki-jutsu. He may be a competent instructor teaching you great martial arts, but he's not really teaching you traditional Japanese jujutsu. I personally wouldn't practice in such schools because I don't believe a person can master 5-7 different, unrelated arts, much less smash them together into a competent fighting system..

Understandable, but for newbie like myself mix systems are not all bad:eek::eek: because it gives exposure to Aikido, japanese jujutsu, Judo,wrestlers so on. It is sorta like high school you learn different things but to really understand you need to go to collage.

I don't have time to take Judo class and Akido class at the same time.

It is sad that Japanese jujutsu in a lot of ways like kung fu and ninja are almost impossible to find schools these days and if they are schools most are McDojo.

Now traditional martial arts are getting harder to find these days. The Japanese jujutsu seems more popular in UK and Europe

The American culture is rooted into direct fighting and part that may be ADHD society!! People don't want to spend 5 to 8 years getting black belt in japanese jujutsu. And 10 to 15 years to you a really good at it.

With Americans ADHD taking Boxing or BJJ in year or two they can beet up most people with no training in martial arts .With traditional martial arts you need black belt and that take 5 to 8 years :(:( With traditional martial arts there much to learn that takes long time.

So traditional martial arts schools are closing down and it is getting harder and harder to find schools that alone good schools.

Also sports fighting like MMA, UFC, Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai,wrestling and Kickboxing!! people take this cause they want to get into MMA or they thing it is cool and norm now.

There are so many of these schools in Miami I could not count them all.:wtf:

Try finding traditional martial arts and you in for shock and very much so the non mainstream traditional martial like Karate or Taekwondo.

Now Europe may not be into culture like the US like MMA, UFC, Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai,wrestling and Kickboxing!!

May explain why more traditional japanese jujutsu there.

It funny the military and police officers learn Judo and Aikido and very much so the police because strikes are not allowed.

If cop used Karate or kung fu he or she would be in Jail for police brutality, unless he or she could show the court that the officer was getting assaulted and had no other choice but to use those moves to fight back.

But the public likes sport fighting now that the fad now.

Just like ninja and kung fu was fad in 70's and 80's.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not really. I was describing where the various systems come from, but a well designed system is its own thing, regardless of where it comes from. Judo comes from Tenjin Shinyo Ryu and Kito Ryu, but you don't need to train those arts to get a proper feel for Judo. Sombo comes from Judo, Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling, and local forms of wrestling from various Slavic countries, but you don't need to train in those base arts to understand Sombo. Danzan Ryu jujutsu contains elements from Judo, Karate, Kung Fu, Lua, Escrima, and purportedly some older forms of jujutsu (although there is controversy over this), but you don't need training in any of those arts to get a proper feel for Danzan Ryu.

I will say that one test of the quality of a system is how well the various elements that went into it have been integrated into a coherent whole. You can find some schools where the founder has grabbed a smorgasbord of techniques from various sources without regard for the underlying principles that make the techniques work. I would avoid such schools.

Tony I understand what you saying, I'm looking for a school with strikes, throws,take downs,holds and locks.

Here is Japanese jujutsu first ‪DAN Test‬
Base on this would you say this is a Japanese jujutsu or one of those modern, eclectic form and not really Japanese jujutsu in here.

If it is not true Japanese jujutsu is this what most schools are like these days.

Last edited:

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tony I understand what you saying, I'm looking for a school with strikes, throws,take downs,holds and locks.

Here is Japanese jujutsu first ‪DAN Test‬
Base on this would you say this is a Japanese jujutsu or one of those modern, eclectic form and not really Japanese jujutsu in here.

If it is not true Japanese jujutsu is this what most schools are like these days.

That is NOT Japanese jujutsu. That looks like some modernized form.

This is Japanese jujutsu.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Finding good JJJ is difficult. You may have to broaden your search a bit. Taking Judo and maybe a modern combatives (Krav Maga, KAPAP, etc) class might fit the bill. If you find a good Catch Wrestling gym (also hard to find), jump all over it. Above all, try some classes and see what you like.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Finding good JJJ is difficult. You may have to broaden your search a bit. Taking Judo and maybe a modern combatives (Krav Maga, KAPAP, etc) class might fit the bill. If you find a good Catch Wrestling gym (also hard to find), jump all over it. Above all, try some classes and see what you like.

It could be Japanese jujutsu is more popular in the UK than the US.

Langenschwert there does seems to be some good ‪Aikido‬ schools in Florida.

I may have to take ‪Aikido and Judo to get the throws,take downs,holds and wrist locks.

And than at a later date take karate or kung fu to get striking.

It will not be proper Japanese jujutsu but at least I will get some throws,take downs,holds,wrist locks and some striking.

Did some searching today.There does see to be some good ‪Aikido schools in Florida‬.

‪Aikido of South Florida‬

Aikido of South Florida - Iwama Shin Shin Aiki Shuren Kai USA

‪Aikido Miami - United States Aikikai‬

Aikido Classes - United States Aikikai - AIKIDO MIAMI
Aikido Techniques - AIKIDO MIAMI
Guillermo Gomez - YouTube

‪Aikido of Goldcoast Aikikai‬
Welcome to Aikido of Gold Coast Aikikai Miami
Gold Coast Aikikai - Picture Gllery
Aikido Techniques Martial Arts School Miami FL- Gold Coast Aikikai

‪Aikido Miramar‬
Miami Aikido dojo
Aikido Miramar

‪Aikido School of Self Defense - Fort Lauderdale‬
About the Instructor - Aikido Fort Lauderdale Martial Arts Lort Lauderdale

I was thinking of taking Japanese jujutsu first and than later on ‪Aikido.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is NOT Japanese jujutsu. That looks like some modernized form.

This is Japanese jujutsu.

Yes the traditional Japanese jujutsu does seem to be bit more ‪Aikido like than the Judo like. Where modern Japanese jujutsu seems to be more Judo like.

I think it will be hard to find older traditional Japanese jujutsu in US that alone a state.

May have to look under Aikijujutsu or Aiki.