need enlightenment

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with what has already been stated; parkour isn't a martial art.

I don't doubt that the attributes enhanced through training in parkour would be useful for a martial artist, just like any other athletic form of training such as gymnastics and dancing, however that does not make it a martial art. Likewise, training attributes that might be useful in self defence don't neccessarily mean that the 'thing' your training in is a martial art either - for instance holding a world record in the 100 metre sprint would certainly result in you being very effective at escaping some types of self defence situations, but that doesn't mean that sprinting is a martial art.

To me, being a Martial Artist means that you're actively engaged in the study, and dedicated to the process of, improving your own combative fighting techniques and ability. Parkour probably ticks more than a few boxes required but its missing the major component; there is no fighting.

Wasn't there an awful, horrific martial arts movie about a gymnast using his skills....Gymkata was it?

Oh yeah...here it is.....LOL...

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't there an awful, horrific martial arts movie about a gymnast using his skills....Gymkata was it?

Oh yeah...here it is.....LOL...

Oh, my, god!

"Kurt Thomas' only weapon is..........himself" *does a backflip-twist into a RKO*

Hello Friday night viewing. I need to watch this.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a fair amount of parkour style running in this too......IIRC, haven't watched it since the 80's....