need advice for greater flexibility....and good exercises?

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
right now I can throw an upward side kick and hit a target approximately 5'10" with my toes. I know this is bad technique......I want to do a perfect side kick......right now I stretch morning and night....sometimes three times per day with a set stretch routine.......I concentrate on groin and hip flexors......the other stretch I do is doing side kick technique and resting my foot on a wall, and bend over to stretch and strengthen......any exercises you think are good for sick kick flexibility would be much appreciated......thanks rocco.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Stretching scientifically" by T. Kurtz.

It has helped me much ^^

I remember that my Eskrima instructor asked a girl who taught ballet for some advice on stretching, he was a smart guy hahaha

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my thing is this....I think I am getting to the point where I am only so flexible....I don't think I can get any more flexible.....am I wrong? if I continue to work at it can I progress more? when I was a kid I was so unflexible the doctors thought they would have to operate on my Achilles tendon to stretch it.....I can front kick and heel kick a target 5'10 with good technique....my roundhouse and side kick connects with my toes...which I know is not great technique.....I would love to be able to connect with a high round using my shin....but I am just not sure I can progress anymore....thoughts? thanks

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my thing is this....I think I am getting to the point where I am only so flexible....I don't think I can get any more flexible.....am I wrong? if I continue to work at it can I progress more? when I was a kid I was so unflexible the doctors thought they would have to operate on my Achilles tendon to stretch it.....I can front kick and heel kick a target 5'10 with good technique....my roundhouse and side kick connects with my toes...which I know is not great technique.....I would love to be able to connect with a high round using my shin....but I am just not sure I can progress anymore....thoughts? thanks
Take Yoga. LOL :) On the other hand you could just quit trying. It really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. :)

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well, I think I have reached my max flexibility.....I think I am flexible enough for what I want to do....the other night I was circling to my left, and I faked a punch low, my opponent dropped his hands.....and I landed a roundhouse (toe part of my shoe) right on this chin, and it slipped up and cut his lip.....after checking to see if he was okay....I felt the rush! it feels amazing to perform something for the first time! QUOTE=Touch Of Death;1571144]Take Yoga. LOL :) On the other hand you could just quit trying. It really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. :)[/QUOTE]

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice. There's no magic technique that'll make you kick at your best possible level right away.

Also, unless you're like 7' tall, 5'10" is a perfectly respectable height for a high side or roundhouse kick, so don't worry about it. The only thing you said that really concerns me is that you're hitting with your toes. You can break your toes doing that if you're not careful.

Latest Discussions