My wife ruptured

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife was doing light bag drills the other night and ruptured her achilles tendon. Now she is off to the ortho to get it taken care of. She believe she will be ready to fight at National and I am doubtful of that happening. Women believe they can just bounce back like nothing ever happened.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ouch!!! What happened? maybe to light warm up and felxibility/elasticity exercises? The Achilles tendom is something to take care and rest and then physioterapy.

Please put wife's feet on the ground and tell her a good recovery is the most importa thing and then tak the things slowly.

Manny

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ouch. Happened to a guy I train with and he was out for a while. Looked painful, too! :( I hope she mends quickly.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that Terry, Achilles tendon rupture is not an easy recovery. Caution to the wise, the majority of people who rupture one, will end up rupturing the other leg too.. . Tell her she would be wise to follow the orthopedist's and therapist's advice on returning to activity, she definitely doesn't want to hinder her recovery by starting back too soon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Terry, sorry to hear that let her know that it takes a while. Mine took 6 months to fully recover. One thing after recovery that I did was to wear ankle wraps. They keep heat to the area and with them I feel less susceptible to another rupture. Tell her to take it easy!

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I doubt she will be able to fight nationals, it takes months to recover. I had three different casts pointing my toes down, then each one bringing the toes back. I could not put weight on it for weeks after the surgery. My thoughts and prayers are with her - best advice I can give is do what the doctor says and don't push it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear it, prayers for a quick and painless recovery!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Patience is easier when you choose it than when it's forced on you. I hope you encourage her to listen to her doctors and her body rather than trying to be ready for a date. My master just tore his meniscus trying to push a ligament surgery recovery too hard. Once she's back on it, she'll need to recondition her whole lower body patiently to avoid injuring something else.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another point: we don't mend as well as we used to. So I can see where she thinks she is still like the kid that popped up from everything if she never had anything serious happen.

(consider some duct tape to tie her down if she wants to go back to soon :D)

Seriously achilles tendon is a major thing...Best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery (and the wisdom to stay off that foot!)

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ouch.....
One of my black belts did that in the 90's. Took her 6 months to recover and never kicked the same. She got realy good with punching:)
I hope she recovers and regains normal use quickly.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that... but are you going to survive after she sees the heading you put up about her?!! Im not sure my wife would like it if I started a post about her rupturing! Hope she dosnt see it!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Once the Achilles is torn it is never the same. This is a common sports injury and most professionals are done with their sport within two years of the injury due to loss of speed and power. It just does not heal as it was, even with surgery.

Tell her to take her time and not to rush anything. She will only make things worse.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, Terry. Best wishes to her (and you).

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes she knows I put this here, she is a member here as well. MRI tomorrow, the ortho believes she will need surgery. She now has relize she will not be ready for National this year. Thank all of you for the well wishes.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else I hope you can convince her to have patience, at the same time study all you can about your injury so you will feel the doctor is giving you the right advice. When ever possible I like adding Naturopathic or Homeopathic methods.

Here is a nice link to a Home treatment for all tendon related injuries you may like to look at.

http://www.aidyourtendon.com/?REF=GTendon

Good luck

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch! Please tell her that I hope it isn't as bad as the doctor thinks, and that she recovers quickly and completely.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
The worse case if she can't fight anymore, she can do Competitive Poomsae. If train correctly, she will be in great shape. :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The worse case if she can't fight anymore, she can do Competitive Poomsae. If train correctly, she will be in great shape. :)

I have mention that to her, lets hope she can do both.

I would truely like to thank all of you for saying such wonderful and kind words for my love. It is appreciated from both of us and you truely have made her feel better.:asian:

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sucks for her, but since it looks like I tore mine yesterday I am routing for her miraculously swift recovery &#58388;

Latest Discussions