My style

K

Karushi

I would like an opinion of my style it is something that I (at least I think) have invented. It is similar to JKD in the aspect of being like water, calm and fluid at one moment and torrential at the next. But where it differs is I assault my opponent mentally. I do things like stand with my hands in my pockets, or behind my head, dance little jigs, sing songs, and gennerally look like I am not even combating them. This will trick most enemies into becoming angry and losing focus, where as I am calm and happy about the situation. If I have not invented this please tell me I would like to know.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not especially new. Jackie Chan's demonstrated that in every movie he's ever made.

OP
S

Shaolinmack

i thought about creating my own style, but there is more to it then just a trick here and a techneque there. there needs to be philosopy and controled movements. no offence but standing with your hands in your pocket cant raly be a style it can be a tactick but little more. if you are realy going to create a style read alot about other systems of martial arts and disect them then create a theory and build techneques on that theory. but what you seem to have is just a tactick to defete a single enimy. ask yourself how this would work on a group or maultiple attackers..

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have you actually trained in a real martial art? That would be a good start, then you can try out your idea against people in a more controlled situation than a real fight and see how you do. I'd make sure you have insurance first though, as doing any of that in a real fight will probably get you hurt when you can't defend yourself quick enough.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't mean to be a jerk here or anything, but what is it about people wanting to invent their own styles? i don't really feel there is anything left new, unturned.

my feeling is that regardless of what system of fighting you are envolved in, you WILL have your own personal style of executing that system. i hope that makes sense.

let's take say, American Kenpo or even Goju-Ryu for example. have you ever seen any two stylists execute the same exact Kenpo technique identically? or even two Goju artists? each individual martial artist will have there own interpretation of their respective systems. why the need for something new? and then again, you really wouldn't be "inventing" something new, just rearranging the sequence. just my thought on the matter.

please don't take what i said as being too critical, just my own opinion. good luck in your endeavors. :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karushi said:
If I have not invented this please tell me I would like to know.
It's called Tim Allen-Do ... it's how he survived prison.

Next ....

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I have a "new style". It's used when confronted by multiple attackers. It's called RUN-FU!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hands in pockets? I think you need a practice partner to help test these ideas out, I'm afraid. It's one thing to defuse a tense situation, but one has to be prepared for violence.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think were being invaded by the middle school crowd lately....

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Karushi,
It might not be a bad idea to join a martial arts school and train hard. This may give you new insights into the art, and will, at the very least, give you a chance to test your theories on a variety of people.
BTW, your tactics have (in spirit) been used before. Research "Drunken Style Kung Fu".
Gary Crawford said:
I have a "new style". It's used when confronted by multiple attackers. It's called RUN-FU!!
An excellent strategy, except for those of us particularly blessed by gravity :).

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having your own style is great, as long as you got great coaches and good sparring partners to guide you in it. ;)

Without that your just a guy watching kung-fu movies and dancing around in his basement...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Screw you pig! (as I jump on my skateboard and try to escape through the mall...) :rolleyes: :uhyeah:
WHY YOU LITTLE...!!!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this where the Blue Knight brings down the fleeing suspect with a well timed thrown nightstick to the back of the knees?

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Karushi said:
I would like an opinion of my style it is something that I (at least I think) have invented. It is similar to JKD in the aspect of being like water, calm and fluid at one moment and torrential at the next. But where it differs is I assault my opponent mentally. I do things like stand with my hands in my pockets, or behind my head, dance little jigs, sing songs, and gennerally look like I am not even combating them. This will trick most enemies into becoming angry and losing focus, where as I am calm and happy about the situation. If I have not invented this please tell me I would like to know.

This has to be a joke right? Dance little jigs, hands in the pockets or behind your head? Why not bring a deck of cards and show some cheap magic tricks while you are at it! Who left the gate to the looney bin open again?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karushi said:
Really all you've done is turned yourself into a sound effects laden punching bag. If it feels good to you though... who am I to say different?

Enjoy it & your parent's insurance while you can...

OP
K

Karushi

*sigh* once again I am insulted but you guys just don't seem to understand. It is not like all I am doing is being a retard. It's about being fluid and in this way you are able to move away from the attacks of the opponent. There is a guiding principle (for lack of a better word/s) to it. Be calm when others are in rage. Create their rage. I have also trained against someone using this and it worked really well I just wanted to know what people thought. To the guy who said it probably doesn't work on multiple opponents, you are probably right. I have only fought multiple opponents once, but that was before martial arts and there was like 7 of them.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No actually most of us understand pretty well. You're wanting acceptance/praise on something you believe is revolutionary in your mind that is a basic concept to any seriously trained martial artist.

Go home, ask for your allowance early & find a school to actually train at as opposed to watching anime & playing game stations.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do one of those neat jedi back flips over the crowd and use a "force pulse" to knock the closest ones over.....

OP
K

Karushi

clfsean said:
No actually most of us understand pretty well. You're wanting acceptance/praise on something you believe is revolutionary in your mind that is a basic concept to any seriously trained martial artist.

Go home, ask for your allowance early & find a school to actually train at as opposed to watching anime & playing game stations.
Look I was just looking for insight! I wanted to know if I didn't make it up! I wanted to know if you thought it was stupid or lame or unpractical or whatever! I just didn't expect everyone to keep calling me a child and pretend that just because they train in a dojo they know everything in the world about everything! I came here to learn, gain knowledge, not to be insulted by you, or by anyone for that matter! I want to learn to be a better artist not be assaulted by *******s to make me feel like more of a loser than I already am!

Latest Discussions