K

kenpochad

I ll be testing in a month or two for my brown belt is normal to kinda question
your own ablity? i know if i wasnt there that my instructors wouldnt pass
me ,but some times i wounder. if iam up to par

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm testing for high red next week, and I'm questioning myself on it. I waited so long to test period that I'm allowed to test to BB in the fall (Nov). So, I know what you are going through. I'm .... I'm ... I need a good word for it for on here ....

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it. It's not good if you are constantly thinking that you are not up to par, but questioning yourself if anything will only lead you to more practice. More practice never hurt anyone.

In fact, I bet practicing your stuff a little more will help you feel more confident in your skills.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you are in a quality school, then your instructor wouldn't let you test if he didn't think you could pass.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's easy to lose perspective on your own training. Your improvement's going to naturally take time, and you won't see sudden jumps in ability. The improvement is gradual. Others will notice it even when you think you've been going along just like you always have.

Don't let yourself get high centered on your own perception of your ability. You're always going to be the harshest critic because you always know every single little thing you could've done better etc.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think questioning your ability is good. It stops you from becoming complacent and not looking for areas to improve. I think it helps leave you always open to learning. Also recognize at the same time your imstructors wouldn't look to promote you if they didn't feel you were ready. No good instructor would set you up to fail.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think most martial artists go through that phase. it can be good for your personal progression. just don't become so involved in the idea that you suck though, this can be counter-productive.

practice, perfect practice is the key. if you haven't already, you may want to start working technique drills with a partner a little more. as always, start out slow, then progress to a point that you and your partner are comfortable. you'd be suprised at your own ability, especially when you see that punch coming at you, even at half speed.

confidence comes through constant training. reinforce your "basics" training. regardless of how "advanced" a technique is, it's just a more complex arrangement of the basic fundamentals of your system.

good luck in your endeavors. :asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have trouble with the concept of "quantifying" my abilities, so, I've given up on trying.

Here's the thing - your abilities are relative, and can vary from day to day. First of all, in order to really "measure" something, you need to have something against which to compare it. So, do you compare yourself to your instructor? To your fellow training partners? Is that really fair? I don't think so - the fact is you should only really be measuring your progress vs. yourself. Do you feel that you're improving? No? You're wrong. If you are working at it, you're improving. Maybe not at the rate you would like, or maybe even faster. Who cares? Can you move better than when you started? Are you putting forth a daily effort? Are you challenging yourself? Good enough, I say.

In essence, you should ask yourself why you're training, and what your goals are. Are you satisfied with your progress in that context? Good enough. Take pride in your success, relax, and have a beer.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Take pride in your success, relax, and have a beer.
Geez, man, what is it with you and beer?

OP
G

Gary Crawford

kenpochad said:
There would be something seriously wrong with you if you didn't feel that way. Because you do question your own ability, that shows a lot of character on your part. Good luck!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's natural. Don't worry too much about it. Unless you fight constantly, how can you really know?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kenpochad said:

I think we have all been down the same road. I certainly would not let this get to you. I seems like you're training hard, and as you said, your inst. wouldnt pass you if he/she did not think you were ready.

Keep training hard!! Every time you train, you're making yourself better!

Good luck on your test and please let us know how it goes!!

Mike

OP
K

kenpochad

i have thought about to much untall now i think its probale

becouse iam going from intermediate to advance.

i and i go to a farly young school iam the most advance student they
have .
i have placed at every tournament that i have been to all two of them
ha ha i know sparring doesnt mean anything.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
i have thought about to much untall now i think its probale

becouse iam going from intermediate to advance.

i and i go to a farly young school iam the most advance student they
have .
i have placed at every tournament that i have been to all two of them
ha ha i know sparring doesnt mean anything.
Dear Sir it not about tournaments and it not about what people presieve of you but it is how you presieve yourself, your instructor is the one that finally make his decission and even through it is a new school I'm sure he is very knowledgable in his teaching, relax and have fun!!!
Terry Lee Stoker

OP
B

BaiKaiGuy

kenpochad said:
I ll be testing in a month or two for my brown belt is normal to kinda question your own ablity? i know if i wasnt there that my instructors wouldnt pass me ,but some times i wounder. if i am up to par
I'd be worried if you weren't questioning yourself! Your instructor has faith in you, so I wouldn't be concerned. Practice your stuff, you'll be fine. Questioning yourself simply reminds you that you don't know everything, nor are you expected to.

OP
K

kenpochad

terryl965 said:
Dear Sir it not about tournaments and it not about what people presieve of you but it is how you presieve yourself, your instructor is the one that finally make his decission and even through it is a new school I'm sure he is very knowledgable in his teaching, relax and have fun!!!
Terry Lee Stoker
thank you Mr. Stoker :asian:

i know my is knowlegable , and i aiso tournaments dont mean anything.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE HERE AT THIS SIT YOU ALL HAVE HELP ME A GREAT DEAL !

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
A few years back when I finally came near to the dreaded -blacktest- after so many years, I became --well alittle anxious- so about six months prior I doubled my workout routines. faithfully every single day I worked myself to exhaustion.
then the final day before I tried to relax (couldn't for all the tea in china)
24 hours later it was over. I stood (barely) before the grandmaster of my system after his approval and was silent. I think he sensed my frame of thought
I didn't feel any differant then the day before but I could sport a new rank.

Out of the blue he looked me square in the eye's and said simply "you know, what youw know" This at first sounded rather simplistic. but it has always stuck with me. always be humble but never doubt the abilities you develop
I'm sure you'll do fine on your test. your instructor wouldn't test you unless he saw your growing knowledge of your art of choice

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
Good luck on your upcoming test.
Do your BEST and trust your instructor(s)!!!
Other than that, just keep having fun.

The very fact that you are concerned about your level of ability is a good sign:
#1: You care.
#2: You are paying attention and analyzing your self.
#3: You are humble.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions