My son sparring

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well then maybe he should be training at a different school. I'm not saying to discredit the current one as I have no knowledge either way but if he's the best in the club then he's not truly getting pushed or tested as well as he could somewhere else so he won't improve as much fighting people lower than him.
And it seems to be already happening as he's over confident thinking he's better than everyone so he can just dodge and ignore the basics. Over confidence in martial arts is a very dangerous thing especially at a young age.
That's part of being young. Young people are always thinking that they can't get hurt or that they are the best. It'll pass as he gets older.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if he truly Is better than everyone else in the club he's not getting as much out of it as he could and if he's as serious about competing as his dad makes out it'd do him good to spar people way better
Keep in mind this is what competitions are for. They provide that experience of going against other people who may be better than you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is what competitions are for. They provide that experience of going against other people who may be better than you.
Yeah but you'd rather be prepared for the competitions rather than going in and getting smoked by a guy way better. Now I'm saying all this based on him taking it very very seriously which is the vibe I'm getting from the op but if it's just a bit of fun and the tournaments are a quick way to pass the time and have some fun then by all means just do what you do.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks but we are very happy with the Dojo we are at.

We backed off training for the past few months due to basketball and hunting seasons so we are just trying to get him dialed back in.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way i smashed out a side kick off a backwards step in sparring today. And just about cut the guy in half with it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well then maybe he should be training at a different school. I'm not saying to discredit the current one as I have no knowledge either way but if he's the best in the club then he's not truly getting pushed or tested as well as he could somewhere else so he won't improve as much fighting people lower than him.
And it seems to be already happening as he's over confident thinking he's better than everyone so he can just dodge and ignore the basics. Over confidence in martial arts is a very dangerous thing especially at a young age.
I would attribute his overconfidence to being 11, rather than being the best in his school

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is what creating a network for sparring with the best guys you can is for.

Doesn't have to change dojos to do that.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would attribute his overconfidence to being 11, rather than being the best in his school

And it's not so much overconfidence. It's more of it working for him so far and he hasn't had that fight that is an eye opener to make a change yet.

And again he is stubborn and often times has to learn the hard way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he enjoys the school, it's worth him being there - even if he's the best in the school, at least he's training. It would be worth finding him some sparring partners who outclass him, at least a little, to challenge him and force him to deal with those basics.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way i smashed out a side kick off a backwards step in sparring today. And just about cut the guy in half with it.
I honestly don't know whether to "like" or "dislike" this one. Depends whether I'm voting for the move, or on behalf of the guy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it's not so much overconfidence. It's more of it working for him so far and he hasn't had that fight that is an eye opener to make a change yet.

And again he is stubborn and often times has to learn the hard way.
Aren't we all, until someone shows us we're wrong?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he enjoys the school, it's worth him being there - even if he's the best in the school, at least he's training. It would be worth finding him some sparring partners who outclass him, at least a little, to challenge him and force him to deal with those basics.

He does enjoy the school and we travel all over the country to let him compete and push himself.

We compete in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, New Mexico, and Vegas.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uploaded my son competing in the USKA world championship.

This was his first tournament in the 12-13 year old division (lil bit of a size difference compared to the 10-11 year old div ;))

Here is the Quarterfinals, Semis, and Finals.

Art M.

White Belt
Reaction score
Have him work on ground techniques too. Sparring is good but only half the equation of Martial Arts.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have him work on ground techniques too. Sparring is good but only half the equation of Martial Arts.

I found a Gracie BJJ school that I told him we would check out next summer if possible.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Uploaded my son competing in the USKA world championship.

This was his first tournament in the 12-13 year old division (lil bit of a size difference compared to the 10-11 year old div ;))

Here is the Quarterfinals, Semis, and Finals.

He has to learn to keep those hands up, I know he likes the point sparring but he's definitely picking up some bad point sparring habits. He missed a lot of opportunities to counter simply because his hands were down. He definitely has the speed and quickness for point sparring. Does he have any interest in continuous sparring?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does he have any interest in continuous sparring?

Yes at the dojo they mostly do continuous sparring but it isn't as popular on the tourney circuits.

He actually finished 2nd in continuous sparring at the tourney. The kid in the first fight beat him in the finals of the continuous event.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes at the dojo they mostly do continuous sparring but it isn't as popular on the tourney circuits.

He actually finished 2nd in continuous sparring at the tourney. The kid in the first fight beat him in the finals of the continuous event.
Congrats for the 2nd place finish in the continuous sparring. I like that he doesn't let his size shut him down, it takes a lot to mentally get over sparring against someone with longer arms and legs. I'll have to look but I think that first kid was the one who was catching him coming in. What's not allowed in terms of kicks for his age? kicks to the lower leg?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leg kicks aren't allowed but you can sweep the front leg at the heel.

No face contact...all contact to the head has to be on the head gear. And no kicks to the spine.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does the sweeping the front leg at the heel also include foot hooks, where you hook the front leg of the opponent and pull the foot? Wow no contact to the face? If they are that concerned, then a full head gear with a clear face protector may be the better option?

Latest Discussions