My own MA...

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, my point was not that such things are necessarily art, just that creative, "new" techniques are far from the definition or essential criteria for it being art. Really, both can be, and both can just as easily (or, really, more easily) fail to be! But so you know, my background includes acting and as a musician (gratuitous plug here, see if you can find Restless Company on you-tube), playing drums initially, then playing around with guitar, bass, mandolin, some keyboards, and pretty much anything I wanted to pick up. Add to that my martial art including both expression of established movements (in my teaching and training) and creatively coming up with new training drills, class formats, teaching programs etc. Then there's my songwriting and poetry explorations....

But yeah, this is very subjective. And you're half right, at least!

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wooh I got an orange belt!
But I bought a 10. dan online, where do I enter the serial code to update my rank here? :uhyeah:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(Not sure why I'm extending this trollish thread, but hey!)

So you've come back 9 months later with a post that adds nothing whatsoever, and still have no answers to the questions you've been posed, or the video you were repeatedly asked for, which you always said was coming? What on earth did you resurrect this thread for, as all it does is remind people how little you understand or know about martial arts, really....

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol hello, I see you are still mad that I disagreed with you..
..had RL issues which stopped me from training but now im back. =)
You really think I still remember questions from 9 months ago? Sorry... maybe when I find the time I will read back into it again.
But to defuse some bombs that still seem to be ticking here even though its been such a long time....: Although I do pay attention to self-defense and effectiveness, my focus really is the elemental aspect. Like animal styles would begin by imitating the certain animal and their combat movements and even mental aspects like attitude, my MA is to embody storms. As I have explained from the beginning, I am not trying to create something new or unique, nor do I copy or adapt anything from other styles, I simply try to focus on the storms idea.
So far I have ended up with moves and ideas that may remind of Taijiquan, Taekgyeon and Kyokushinkai, but it has never been my intention.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
, my MA is to embody storms. As I have explained from the beginning, I am not trying to create something new or unique, nor do I copy or adapt anything from other styles, I simply try to focus on the storms idea.

thumbnail.aspx

Storm Power

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Think of it for a moment. Combat happens on the mental level for around 70%.
I was just sick of crap on my mind distracting me during sparring, of course in an actual self-defense situation that stuff will be gone once adrenaline kicks in. But after a certain point you dont feel that much adrenaline anymore because you got used to it and that is where regular crap starts to occupy your brain again.
I think I should make a website about this because it feels really messy rolling this up from the backside.
The storm idea is just metaphoric of course, it is supposed to provide the person with certain attitudes, just packed into a natural picture "storms" we can intuitively understand, such as flexibility, relaxation, letting your opponent run into void, killing their balance, overwhelming and breath-taking actions and so on..

Originally I was tired of complicated moves in Chinese MA without flexibility. In the end I found it stupid your brain fills up with hundreds of specialized techniques that you could only effectively utilize after ages of practicing in situations as close to real combat as possible. I figured if there was a style based on something everyone can intuitively understand, learn and train it should be about just as effective, but less ... "artificial".

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of "own MA"....
.... what do you think about IWC (Innovatice Wing Chun)?
I came across this link
http://www.usadojo.com/kata/viewfull.asp?bioid=6
and thought (interesting).

For some weird reason the only video I could find about it was
and i thought (?...)
so I asked them directly on the FB profile and the result was:

"
龍風
drP8vlvSl_8.gif
Innovative Wing Chun and Bare-Knuckle Boxing

Hi, I got a question. I was wondering why there are no application videos or other kinds of videos providing at least a little bit of insight into IWC?
I am working on my own "innovative" martial arts and after all the researching and exchanging I have done, in my opinion it is rather disappointing and suspicious claiming a martial arts to be really effective yet not providing some videos with "obvious" info.

Like · · January 28 at 7:55am ·
    • Innovative Wing Chun and Bare-Knuckle Boxing So you want me to provide you with videos. Would you like free lessons as well? How about I go to work and do your job? How pathetic it is when someone wont do the hard work and wants videos and online information, rather than just getting your *** over here and training hard! I am very suspicious of you sir!"
"

I think it is slowly getting time for this thread to be closed...

Last edited by a moderator:

Native

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Read this whole thread.. like a train wreck. Just to catch you back up, Fenglong, because it looks like you have had a long time to think about things.

I will post a link once I got the first video done but I won't reply anymore since this topic has turned into some sort of hocus-pocus direction.

1: What is the power source your art uses?

2: What is the primary angle used?

3: How is your art classed (striking, grappling, generalist)?

4: What is the environment your art is designed for?

5: What weaponry concepts are in your art, if any?

6: What is the primary rhythm, or what are the primary rhythms of your art?

7: What are the main postures of your art, and how do they reflect the primary strategies of your art?

8: What are the primary tactics of your art, as well as the primary strategy?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol hello, I see you are still mad that I disagreed with you..
..had RL issues which stopped me from training but now im back. =)
You really think I still remember questions from 9 months ago? Sorry... maybe when I find the time I will read back into it again.
But to defuse some bombs that still seem to be ticking here even though its been such a long time....: Although I do pay attention to self-defense and effectiveness, my focus really is the elemental aspect. Like animal styles would begin by imitating the certain animal and their combat movements and even mental aspects like attitude, my MA is to embody storms. As I have explained from the beginning, I am not trying to create something new or unique, nor do I copy or adapt anything from other styles, I simply try to focus on the storms idea.
So far I have ended up with moves and ideas that may remind of Taijiquan, Taekgyeon and Kyokushinkai, but it has never been my intention.

Still mad? Nope. Never was. I was frustrated with you, but that's a different thing entirely.

The rest of this post is honestly just noise with no real meaning whatsoever.

I was just sick of crap on my mind distracting me during sparring, of course in an actual self-defense situation that stuff will be gone once adrenaline kicks in. But after a certain point you dont feel that much adrenaline anymore because you got used to it and that is where regular crap starts to occupy your brain again.
I think I should make a website about this because it feels really messy rolling this up from the backside.
The storm idea is just metaphoric of course, it is supposed to provide the person with certain attitudes, just packed into a natural picture "storms" we can intuitively understand, such as flexibility, relaxation, letting your opponent run into void, killing their balance, overwhelming and breath-taking actions and so on..

Hmm... no.

Originally I was tired of complicated moves in Chinese MA without flexibility. In the end I found it stupid your brain fills up with hundreds of specialized techniques that you could only effectively utilize after ages of practicing in situations as close to real combat as possible. I figured if there was a style based on something everyone can intuitively understand, learn and train it should be about just as effective, but less ... "artificial".

And in this comment you sum up your lack of understanding of the realities of training in martial arts, particularly those with larger curriculums.

Speaking of "own MA"....
.... what do you think about IWC (Innovatice Wing Chun)?
I came across this link
http://www.usadojo.com/kata/viewfull.asp?bioid=6
and thought (interesting).

For some weird reason the only video I could find about it was
and i thought (?...)
so I asked them directly on the FB profile and the result was:

"
龍風
drP8vlvSl_8.gif
Innovative Wing Chun and Bare-Knuckle Boxing

Hi, I got a question. I was wondering why there are no application videos or other kinds of videos providing at least a little bit of insight into IWC?
I am working on my own "innovative" martial arts and after all the researching and exchanging I have done, in my opinion it is rather disappointing and suspicious claiming a martial arts to be really effective yet not providing some videos with "obvious" info.

Like · · January 28 at 7:55am ·
    • Innovative Wing Chun and Bare-Knuckle Boxing So you want me to provide you with videos. Would you like free lessons as well? How about I go to work and do your job? How pathetic it is when someone wont do the hard work and wants videos and online information, rather than just getting your *** over here and training hard! I am very suspicious of you sir!"
"

I think it is slowly getting time for this thread to be closed...

Look, frankly Armando doesn't come across particularly well there at all, nor does he seem particularly impressive from what I've just read... but does his response to your request mean anything? Here, you were the one offering video footage, after it was requested as the phrasings you use really don't mean anything when it comes to martial art. Additionally, Armando is basically just doing a slightly different version of Wing Chun, not making up things on the back of nothing much at all. So I fail to see the relevance to your situation. If you had half the credentials that Armando claims, you would probably see just how bad your ideas are coming across here.

Read this whole thread.. like a train wreck. Just to catch you back up, Fenglong, because it looks like you have had a long time to think about things.

7: What are the main postures of your art, and how do they reflect the primary strategies of your art?

Yep, these are some of the most pertinent questions. All I was going to say was that, well, if you don't remember the questions, you're in luck! You can simply go back and re-read this thread you're reading now! You don't need to actually remember then, as they're still sitting there, in black and white for you. Simple, really....

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi, I've trained Kukkiwon TKD for about 12 years, amongst other arts. It's been said that I am talented, but in no way do I consider myself an expert in MA. I have my own ideas about how MA techniques and principles work, and I make those ideas work for me within the bounds of the art that is TKD. I have no idea why someone would think that having this amount of experience is enough to create a new form of martial art, even if the experience were combined with genius levels of creativity and intelligence (doubtful).

I think Chris's questions are absolutely valid, and would suggest that if these points are not at least considerations when building an art, then said art will be more of a damp squib than a full on storm.

Here are my answers for TKD. I've had to make some horrible generalisations, but it's not that challenging to answer if you've given your art due diligence.

Power is generated through two main sources, which may or may not be used in isolation or combination. 1) Twisting the waist then transferring that motion into the desired direction, and 2) Shifting the body weight over the stance.

45 Degrees

By others, striking. By me striking & grappling.

Debatable. Military / Dojang / Tournament / SD - it depends on how you learn and what you ask

Most commonly knife and short stick, attack and counter with trapping / locking disarms.

1,1-2,1-2-3, broken rhythm with feints. Depends on the situation.

Long and short walking stances, and back stance, reflecting the concepts of aggressive weight shifting for power transference, mobility for turning purposes, and defensive weight shifting to unbalance repectively. Generally these stances are combined with two-handed parry / strike / grab combinations.

The primary strategy is to overwhelm the opponent. This is achieved through striking with the feet and hands. The primary tactics used to facilitate striking are a 45 Degree position of advantage, unbalancing the opponent and striking during the unbalanced phase.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Instead of multi-quoting (which I always seem to mess up somehow), I'm going to put my responses in red.

This number seems rather arbitrary, but I think I catch your meaning. Yes, a very huge part of fighting is about the mentality of those in the situation.

I was just sick of crap on my mind distracting me during sparring,
Training in the Japanese concepts of Isshin, mushin, and zanshin will eliminate such distraction.
of course in an actual self-defense situation that stuff will be gone once adrenaline kicks in.
This depends on your level of training. The truth is that in a self-defense situation everyone will hesitate and a million thoughts will race at once (why is he doing this? what's going on? should I fight back? Should i just run? Should I call the police? Will I go to jail? ect. With training this delay between thought and action will decrease.

But after a certain point you dont feel that much adrenaline anymore because you got used to it and that is where regular crap starts to occupy your brain again.
In self-defense? NO. In training, maybe, but that is indicative of lazy training and needs to be addressed by being more mindful of the situation and focusing on the results you want.

The storm idea is just metaphoric of course, it is supposed to provide the person with certain attitudes, just packed into a natural picture "storms" we can intuitively understand, such as flexibility, relaxation, letting your opponent run into void, killing their balance, overwhelming and breath-taking actions and so on.
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. How are storms a concept? I mean I can see storms as a metaphor for anger or danger, but what do they have to do with flexibility or relaxation?

Originally I was tired of complicated moves in Chinese MA without flexibility. In the end I found it stupid your brain fills up with hundreds of specialized techniques that you could only effectively utilize after ages of practicing in situations as close to real combat as possible.
Martial arts should not be focused on the techniques themselves but rather the principles and startegies that are expressed through techniques.

I figured if there was a style based on something everyone can intuitively understand, learn and train it should be about just as effective, but less ... "artificial".
Martial arts are not intuitive. It is training because you actively work to do something that you could not do before. If it was intuitive people would do it without effort, and martial arts requires effort. Some people may be more apt to some martial arts than others but that is usually due to body composition and the personality of the practitioner. And I have no idea what you mean by artificial.

A martial arts concept cannot be built from such a lofty and unrealistic idea of "I like stroms, so I'm going to make a martial art based off that." Martial skill is built when a person studies the reality of combat and recognizes that certain things happen in fighting and there must be practical ways to deal with it. It does not sound like you are interested in exploring the practicality of martial arts. I honestly have no idea what you are trying to achieve, even after all this time.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So instead of working on your flexibility you think instead to give up and say" it is stupid for your brain to fill up hundred specialized technique
There is a saying in Chinese"Zhi yao gong fu shen tie chu mo cheng zhen" 只要功夫深铁杵磨成针 it means if you work hard enough you can grind an iron bar into a needle.

One of the arts I practice is Chen Taijiquan. In the form there is 75 steps in Laojia Yi Lu. Everyone of those steps has applications but you need a teacher to point out
the applications behind it. One of the things practicing the steps does is train your body and mind to move as one unit, to understand where and how power is generated.
When you understand this you practice Tuishou or push hands and are able to put it into practice with a partner this starts the idea of free sparing and the theory of combat in Taijiquan. Wong Kiew Kit in his book"The complete book of Taijiquan" said that it takes a while to develop skill in Taijiquan and he suggests practicing Thai boxing.

I agree if you are interested in a quicker development then it would be a practical choice. I think you take everyone's feed back and meditate on creating your style and why you want to and how to go about it. My suggestion is if you truly want to do that then get a bunch of people and work hard on it. Really spar hard and see what works and doesn't. If you can make an art that can show a practical application then bravo!
But there are many people on Youtube who created their own arts and you can see the results of their labor.