My knees are weird

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My knees will not let me do Xingyiquan, they will not let me do Yang Style Taijiquan either. I can do the little Sun style I know, but they remind me they are there. But I can to baguazhang mud walking, and it doesn't hurt either... my knees are weird

I see the MD about the ding dang knees next week.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did something new happen to your knees? I thought you had been doing good with practicing your forms recently

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And how’s you saying it ok, but me saying it isn’t?

Maybe because you’re a mod and I’m just a regular schmuck.

Or maybe it’s ok to say it plural, but single is just crossing the line.

:)
Yeah, I'm not sure. I expected that to get caught in the filter, and didn't even look back to see if it had. Now I'm tempted to post a bunch of variations, just to see what gets through.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And how’s you saying it ok, but me saying it isn’t?

Maybe because you’re a mod and I’m just a regular schmuck.

Or maybe it’s ok to say it plural, but single is just crossing the line.

:)
Usually people have two knees and one a..h…. But I have seen plurals of both in some people.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I have 2 knees....both are annoying....as is one hip and both shoulders at the moment. But the other part under discussion here I only have one of and it is just fine thank you

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I too have ******* knees. The mud walking has definitely helped as has the bagua silk reeling, particularly the water trigram bowl wiping exercise we do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I too have ******* knees. The mud walking has definitely helped as has the bagua silk reeling, particularly the water trigram bowl wiping exercise we do.

I did not know "mud walking" was an actual exercise. Man, I get a Lot of that feeding cattle during our winter months. Not super deep thankfully; more like ankle or shin walking but it can pull your boots off.:)

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FWIW, the last two videos are not at all what I understood mud walking to be so clearly I know nothing about the exercise. The tea cupping reminds me of walking on ice (also something we do in the winter). Better than nothing, but I take exception to practice like this because it is completely controlled. They are great for the beginner who is learning balance and footwork but without resistance, like an actual muddy field or ice slick, much is lost.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
FWIW, the last two videos are not at all what I understood mud walking to be so clearly I know nothing about the exercise. The tea cupping reminds me of walking on ice (also something we do in the winter). Better than nothing, but I take exception to practice like this because it is completely controlled. They are great for the beginner who is learning balance and footwork but without resistance, like an actual muddy field or ice slick, much is lost.

Tea cup exercise is more for flexibility and balance and generally done with feet stationary. And mud walking is all art of baguazhang foot work training and goes directly to how it is applied.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score

That's only the most basic aspect of mud walking. Once you're comfortable with walking this way and doing it correctly you can start working on floating root and partnered walking exercises.

The teacups are for learning to use the torso to move the arms. One normally practices this stationary but it can be used as a basic palm change drill as well. One gains a better understanding of the art by placing the teacups on the circle and incorporation of those qualities into the rest of the art.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well it appears I'm a mess

Bone spurs in both knees, reason for pain when I stand up. A possible torn meniscus in the left knee and really bad arthritis in the right hip

Latest Discussions