My instructor kicked my butt last night.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh man, it was great. At the end of Black Belt class last night we were free fighting, which is basically what it sounds like. I was paired up with my instructor and we went five minute rounds. Anything goes, but we practice with control so that we can keep training and fighting. Throws, grappling, striking, all the good stuff like eye gouges, ear pulling, hair pulling, nose pulling, all practiced with control. I was doing pretty well, holding my own, and then he pulled me to the ground, got in the mount position, and rained destruction on my poor little head. Oh what fun! I tried my mount escapes, but he just pinned my arms and pounded away. Like I said, all controlled contact, so it was really just him striking at my face, full intensity, letting me know that I'd be blood on the pavement if he was hitting me. One time I managed to mount him, but that only lasted about two seconds until he rolled me over into my guard, then he picked me up and slammed me into the ground and it started raining down again.

It was the best part of class. The other students noticed and thought he was gonna kill me. I managed to parry or otherwise defend against some of his punches, but in general I just got pounded. It's so great to see how amazing my instructor is. I could man handle most of our new students the way he did me, but compared to him, I'm still a white belt. It's such a great feeling to know that you are in the right place, learning from the right instructor. Afterwards he showed me how to defend against getting picked up and slammed into the ground while in the guard position. It's invigorating to be beaten to a pulp every now and again. If you haven't done it lately, I suggest you try it.

Being able to pull off my Kenpo in situations like this is very affirming and really gives you a sense of how the static techniques work in a dynamic situation. You realize that your techniques counter your opponent's techniques when you try for a groin shot and he tries for a knee at the same time. Or your head butt is interrupted by his inward elbow. At one point I was choking him from the front and he pulled off an entire technique on me in about half a second. This kind of exercise really introduces the aliveness you want in your training and demonstrates for you that stand up fighting and ground fighting aren't two seperate things, they are two parts of one thing. You fight on your feet till you fall to the ground and then you fight on the ground till you get to your feet. It's also good for the endurance. Five minutes is a long, long time to fight someone full intensity. Really makes you conscious of the need to take out your attacker quick and hard. I don't ever want a fight to last that long. Some nights we do five or six rounds like this, and you really get the work out then.

I can't wait till he beats me up again. Then I'll have something else to brag about to my Kenpo friends.

"Mr. Sturgess really handed me my money maker the other night."

-Rob

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I love/hate those nights.

I have precisely ONCE felt that I beat my instructor in such an encounter. I remember if fondly... hip throw, rear mount hooks in, to a rear-naked choke. We started over and I got stacked in my gaurd and spent way too many minutes being pounded on. Every other occasion that we have fought like this I have decisively lost (about once a month). Usually standing, with me completely gassed and sucking up knees strikes while I'm trying to protect my head. Two weeks ago it ended with a knee strike to my jaw, I'm glad there was a wall behind me for me to grab. Obviously it wasn't full strength, but I was sipping through a straw for two days.

Like I said, I love/hate those nights.

Lamont

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is definetly something wrong with a group of people that enjoy getting their butts handed to them. :) Having said that...I love it myself. Every once in a while our instructor will be first up in an attack line and all you really see are people of all shapes and sizes flying across the room. I know what you mean, Rob by the feeling that your instructor is that much bette than you are. It really helps to have that reaffirmation that you are getting your monies worth when you have it proven to you that the techniques that are being taught can indeed be used in a fight.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I've never ever fought my instructor! I wonder how I'd do...I'll have to tip a pint over his head or something and provoke him :)

Actually, maybe not...!

Ian.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember on the odd occasion I I have sparred with my instructor, I have been very afraid and I have found myself always on the defensive! he has caught some lovely mantis strikes to my chin and i never saw them coming!
One time i remember nearly sweeping him, which felt good because I nearly unbalanced him but I soon get worn out sparring with him and he is much smalelr than me! There would be no point if I could beat him everytime, but there has to come a time when a student does become better than the student, because I guess that is nature! He has encouarged us to become better!

Thesemindz said:
Oh man, it was great. At the end of Black Belt class last night we were free fighting, which is basically what it sounds like. I was paired up with my instructor and we went five minute rounds. Anything goes, but we practice with control so that we can keep training and fighting. Throws, grappling, striking, all the good stuff like eye gouges, ear pulling, hair pulling, nose pulling, all practiced with control. I was doing pretty well, holding my own, and then he pulled me to the ground, got in the mount position, and rained destruction on my poor little head. Oh what fun! I tried my mount escapes, but he just pinned my arms and pounded away. Like I said, all controlled contact, so it was really just him striking at my face, full intensity, letting me know that I'd be blood on the pavement if he was hitting me. One time I managed to mount him, but that only lasted about two seconds until he rolled me over into my guard, then he picked me up and slammed me into the ground and it started raining down again.

It was the best part of class. The other students noticed and thought he was gonna kill me. I managed to parry or otherwise defend against some of his punches, but in general I just got pounded. It's so great to see how amazing my instructor is. I could man handle most of our new students the way he did me, but compared to him, I'm still a white belt. It's such a great feeling to know that you are in the right place, learning from the right instructor. Afterwards he showed me how to defend against getting picked up and slammed into the ground while in the guard position. It's invigorating to be beaten to a pulp every now and again. If you haven't done it lately, I suggest you try it.

Being able to pull off my Kenpo in situations like this is very affirming and really gives you a sense of how the static techniques work in a dynamic situation. You realize that your techniques counter your opponent's techniques when you try for a groin shot and he tries for a knee at the same time. Or your head butt is interrupted by his inward elbow. At one point I was choking him from the front and he pulled off an entire technique on me in about half a second. This kind of exercise really introduces the aliveness you want in your training and demonstrates for you that stand up fighting and ground fighting aren't two seperate things, they are two parts of one thing. You fight on your feet till you fall to the ground and then you fight on the ground till you get to your feet. It's also good for the endurance. Five minutes is a long, long time to fight someone full intensity. Really makes you conscious of the need to take out your attacker quick and hard. I don't ever want a fight to last that long. Some nights we do five or six rounds like this, and you really get the work out then.

I can't wait till he beats me up again. Then I'll have something else to brag about to my Kenpo friends.

-Rob

I dont know about this one. :p

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thesemindz said:

-Rob
I've only been training a year but I can tell you I love being bruised. I train in a Kenpo school but it is also a Kali-escrima-silat, jiu-jitsu, hapkido, and jeet- kune-do school not to mention a favorite training spot for alot of local boxers. We focus a lot on sparing and I get to spar with fighters of all levels. There's no better way how to learn how not to drop your guard than taking a few hits. If I don't go home bruised I didn't work hard enough.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a kempo teacher, I had a couple students move on to the Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA, shortly after it first opened. As events unfolded, I eventually joined them, but kept my smart mouth. Myself and a bouncing/training buddy would regularly tease Royce about his accent..."Boofahlow...Booolets". He would usually only take so much before reigning us in by partnering with us for a drill. I can still hear the echoes of "Breathe, Eric. Breathe" from years ago, as skinny Royce would lean into the diaphragm of a guy in full oxygen deprivation panic, who went to Torrance to take the Gracie Challenge saying, "I've got black belts in kenpo and Norris' system, am a 2-time power-lifting champion, wrestled NCAA through college winning state trophies in Ohio where men are men and sheep are scared, have been a bouncer for over ten years and gotten in over 500 fights with no losses, and I kick-box with the guys at the Jet Center at least once a week. What are they gonna do to me that I haven't seen before?". Call later that day..."I've got "Wussy" written accross my forehead, and it's not going to go away until I get really good at this stuff".

One of my favorite butt-kickings...never before met Royler, who is the spittin' image of Royce, just much shorter. Walking onto the mat, my way is blocked by a familiar face, at an unfamiliar height. Says I, "Royce, you shrunk". Royler apparently not a big fan of short jokes. Went from one painful position to another without even enough time to tap in between, for the entire hour. All I could do was laugh, because it was absolutely amazing to me how much he owned my behind. Just made him madder, I think. Wasn't laughing the next morning.

Told Mr. Parker once that I didn't think he could hit me in the chest hard enough to really hurt me (only half-joking). Well, you can guess the rest.

Until we meet again in the place where we are all one,

Dr. Dave

Latest Discussions