My First ITF Class

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably too subtle for the eyes of a beginner, but any more advanced student will point out things like how diffeerntly the knifehand strikes are done in your two videos. In the one done by the man you claim is your mythical daddy, the fingers are spread. I this one, they are together.
I don't really expect you to understand why that is a significant difference.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know it's probably too subtle for the eyes of a beginner, but any more advanced student will point out things like how diffeerntly the knifehand strikes are done in your two videos. In the one done by the man you claim is your mythical daddy, the fingers are spread. I this one, they are together.
I don't really expect you to understand why that is a significant difference.

Fingers are together in his Compendium, regarding Knife hand strike. My fingers are together too. Sorry, try again. Maybe he didn't demonstrate Knife hand strike in that particular clip.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ultimately, as I understand it, Jhoon Rhee, ATA, ITF, and GTF styles of taekwondo all have Shotokan in their heritage.

Jhoon Rhee was a Chung Do Kwan product, and for a time was with the ITF and adopted the ITF Patterns. ATA Founder HU Lee was a Chung Do Kwan product, for a Time was an ITF affiliate using the Chang Hon Patterns. So the link is undeniable. General Choi trained in Shotokan, so the Link is undeniable. GTF founder Park Jung Tae was an ITF head instructor and principal instructo introducing TKD to NK, so that link is undeniable as well.

Latest Discussions