My Black Belt Bloopers

Reaction score
i have a question. if you train in Hapkido Karate, then why are the the people in the video using Japanese terms.( i mean no disrespect)but Hapkido is Korean, these are things that make you go mmmmm

ONLY if you've not a clue to the Japanese occupation of Korea and their enforcement of the use of the Japanese language there until the end of the Korean War.

Many of the martial artist from Korea, especially the ones that came up through their ranks in the late 50's, 60's and 70's (my time frame) still use the Japanese words along with their Korean words.

With total RESPECT,
DR John M. La Tourrette

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is also a whole 'Japanese connection' with Hapkido.

Check out the Wiki article on it and you will see listed as one of the 'controversial' historical students of Sokaku Takeda, a famous Japanese master of Daito Ryu AikiJiuJitsu. When I had the opportunity to work with some HapKiDo guys in Chicago, the connection with that famous teacher was directly stated to me.

At the least, the founder of Hapkido studied at seminars with Sokaku Takeda and Ueshiba Morihei, the founder of Aikido, at gatherings where he taught.

The use of Japanese terms makes sense in the perspective of the connection to a Japanese source.

I think the OP also stated the style as 'Hapkido Karate' in that it was either a fusion of the arts or a school where both arts are taught. Not uncommon for people who have been around the block in the martial arts world.

Hope I helped.

Rob

Latest Discussions