My Australian Tax Refund ???

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just got this e-mail in my junk yahoo address...
Wow, I've never even LEFT the country ... ever! And never worked in Australia and I'm getting a tax refund... wheee ... where do I sign up??

NOT!

Please Note: After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of:

$175.60

Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 10-30 days in order to process it.
A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund,click here
This is the "official logo" they used as a letterhead of sorts... :rolleyes:

and no, I didn't "click here"

Attachments

• $Photos_ATO_Logo.JPG
    $Photos_ATO_Logo.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 104

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah, well, I bet those are in Aussie dollars. Probably translates into something like $8.73, US...
icon12.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmmph. Clearly, the phishing is pretty lousy in Australia....

... but as it happens, I got one of those yesterday from the 'U.S. Tax Office' as well (except it was for around $250). Getting inundated with crap spam is bad enough—why do they have to add insult to injury by insulting our intelligence in the process??!! :rpo:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well that might be fake but the guys wanting me to help him get his money out of China and Africa are at least trust worthy... althuogh I have been waiting for awhile to get my cash :rolleyes:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just got this e-mail in my junk yahoo address...
Wow, I've never even LEFT the country ... ever! And never worked in Australia and I'm getting a tax refund... wheee ... where do I sign up??

NOT!

This is the "official logo" they used as a letterhead of sorts... :rolleyes:

and no, I didn't "click here"

Australia? What's this with Australia? What happened to Nigeria? :lol:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Australia? What's this with Australia? What happened to Nigeria? :lol:

The difference is the number of zeros—Nigeria wants you to have something in the millions, the various tax agencies want you to have something in the hundreds. The phishermen got that right, anyway! :lol:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFLKLITA!

I'm sure they must catch somebody, else they wouldn't bother - in fact I think I recall an article on a good consumer program over here (called "Watchdog") where some poor old fellow got stung by the Nigerian scam.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFLKLITA!

I'm sure they must catch somebody, else they wouldn't bother - in fact I think I recall an article on a good consumer program over here (called "Watchdog") where someone poor old fellow got stung by the Nigerian scam.

The funniest bit, though, is that there are guys out there who get exquisite sadistic pleasure from stringing the Nigerian phisherfolk along, responding eagerly with all kinds of information... there's just one problem, and could they please help them with this, or that... or the other... and after doing this for several months, the tables are turned: the 'Nigerian' starts writing peeved, baffled notes to the intended victim asking them what the hell's going on, why haven't they sent the necessary data, what's holding the plan up... and so it goes, till the scam artist is going out of his mind: here's this great phish he's caught, why won't the guy finally get landed?? I wish I could retrieve the news stories on this kind of thing that I read a while back...

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It can't be real........the ATO doesn't give your money back - they only try and take more!!!!!!!

GRRRR to taxes!!!!

Latest Discussions