My 3rd Dan Requirements

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where we could compare our requirements for 3rd dan (3rd degree black belt). This does not have to be a TSD specific thread because I would really like to see some other perspectives. Please comment on what you see even if you are not testing for 3rd dan.

3rd Dan Test Requirements

Hyung (forms)

Nai Han Chi Sam Dan
Ro Hai
Cane Hyung
Yang Lu Chan Tai Chi Chuan Form
Chil Sung O Ro (optional)

Ill Soo Shik (One Step Sparring/bunkai/tuite)

10 Empty Hand
10 Empty Hand seated or from a chair
10 Empty Hand defense against stick type of weapon

Kyok Pa

Two kicks (two boards on each) and one hand technique (one board) all in the air.
Creative break of student's choice.

Dae Ryun (sparring)

Match with sticks and/or other weapons
Tuk Soo in Deh Ryun - multiple opponents with weapons
Da Soo in Deh Ryun - sparring multiple opponents (up to four)
Ja yu in Deh Ryun - sparring single people of different ranks (must show expert ability)
Demonstrate proficiency in grappling and randori

Additional Requirements

Demonstrate use of stick (s), staff, nunchaku, and cane.
Demonstrate expert knowledge of one of these weapons.
Expert knowledge of crane and its fighting techniques and abilities.
Creative project - mine is a TSD website
Student should demonstrate intuitive movement and defense throughout test.
Thorough knowledge of energy and meridian theory.

General Requirements

Expert Knowledge of all lower rank techniques.
Demonstration of instruction abilities
Assist in promoting TSD as an art and warrior system
Demonstrate good TSD spirit
Regular Dojang attendence
Sound Moral Character

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm WTF TKD but our focus is not on sport. We do more forms, no one-steps (taken out), no weapon ability testing.

This is on my requirements paper for 3rd:

Rising Kicks: 100 per/leg-head level, Side stretches 100/leg -above waist,
Front kicks: 250 per leg
Pushups: 35 (I had to do 50 at 2nd dan so this has been reduced)
Forms: 22, Taeguek and traditional (ITF)
Self Defense: about 30 techniques
Slow Motion: 3 per leg to a count of 7 holding 2 sec.
front, round, side-these to head level, spin side-solar plexus, spin heel kicks to head level (to a suspended ball)
Breaking: Speed break: jump back 2 boards (2 finger hold)
Technique: 360 jump back kick blindfolded 2 boards
Power Break: 3 boards with both hands, both feet (choice) 4 breaks
Concrete: Men 2, Women 1 any hand-patio bricks
(Breaks were made easier after my 2nd dan test as I had to do knife/concrete then)
Kicks: 40 different kicks demonstrated on each leg/3 times each (240 total)
Sparring: 1 on 1, 1 on 1, 2 on 1, 3 on 1, all black belt
Paper: Perseverance (topic) 5 pages typed-to be read but not always
Questions by the master, black belts present
Teaching skill: teaching at least one class per week
Tournament: 7 tournaments from 1st dan

I stopped jumping because of wear and tear on my knees so won't be practicing for these breaks so won't be testing. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That looks like a nice set of requirements. Should prove to be a good test.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The ONLY thing that I don't like on the sheet is one of the weapons requirements. Nunchaku. Of the three times that I've been knocked unconscious, one was a self inflicted nunchaku mishap. I hate them...period. Also, I am a little skeptical of their practicality in our times. Basically, what I've been practicing is a few basic switches, strikes at angles 1 - 12, and some weapon trapping/grappling applications. I don't know if I'll go much further then that.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck. Remember in some ways an art evolves to adapt to the environment, but in other ways it stays the same and we transmit the information from one generation to the next.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The ONLY thing that I don't like on the sheet is one of the weapons requirements. Nunchaku. Of the three times that I've been knocked unconscious, one was a self inflicted nunchaku mishap. I hate them...period. Also, I am a little skeptical of their practicality in our times. Basically, what I've been practicing is a few basic switches, strikes at angles 1 - 12, and some weapon trapping/grappling applications. I don't know if I'll go much further then that.

Did you pick the weapon or did your instructor? My experience with nunchuks: My son got really good at it, but he loved it, that is the difference. He practiced everyday, hours at a time walking around, up and down stairs, up and down halls. He was a walking menace. But the key was to practice with those foam covered nunchuks until he got good. The strings wore out, so he had to get the ball-bearing variety and went through a couple of those. Finally he progressed to real wood ones and he could do anything, all kinds of exchanges, attacks while kicking too. He taught our master some technique and subsequently taught in class. I guess what I am trying to say is that the master thought he, the master was good at them, but he didn't love them either. In order to get good at something, you have to choose the right weapon, and embrace it wholly. A little late for you, but not for the next rank up. Me, I think I will stick with the bo, as I didn't like the nunchuks either. I hope you do well on the test. TW

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Did you pick the weapon or did your instructor?

My teacher picked it. I'm sure he wants me to think about some principles of flexible weaponry...and I understand it from that POV. None of my "chuck" work is going to be flashy though. My teacher does want me to specialize in one weapon for this test. I'm going back and forth on weather to specialize in the use of the cane or the stick. I may do both because some of the stuff is similar.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chucks might be fun but to learn and beat yourself up with, infact my late friend Jerry Stanley was awsome with them. He learned how watching movies and practiceing what he saw. But I agree on the practical use, Its much easier to find a stick in a situation than it is to find something that resembles chucks.

Mark

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
forgot one thing on your requirements-advanced knowledge of application and concepts for Pyung Ahn Ee Dan Hyung. Also forgot but it is usually implied knowledge and understanding of all requirements up to and including 2nd Dan.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do Y.M.C.A. style requirements: Sam (3rd) Dan

Hyung:

You pick two, and your teacher randomly picks two.

available hyung to demonstrate;

Kicho 1-3
Pyung Ahn 1-5
Bal Chae Dae
Bal Chae So
Nei Bo Jin 1-3
Sam Jun
Kyuk Pa 1-2
Sul Soo

must demonstrate proper execution, as well as demonstrate
basic and intermediate applications(bunkai)

Dae Ryun: Knock out or submit 4 attackers. No time limit, however, quick efficient knock outs are a sure way to pass this portion.

All Il Soo Shik

All Sam Soo Shik

Ho SHin Sul #1-100

Breaking:
pick 4 techniques, 2 with foot, 2 with hand(or other parts of body, ie head, elbow, knee, etc.

Interview: Orally demonstrate proficient knowledge in history from Moo Duk Kwan and Y.M.C.A. style. Must also be ready to verbally answer any questions on philosophy, ettiquette, etc.

theres more, but i'm being rushed off the computer right now, so I'll write the rest tomarrow. Sorry.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to take a stab at this, based on what I've had to do at recertifications. This is probably not a complete list, but here's what I know is on the agenda for me when I test for sam dan in a couple years:

Basics: Hand and foot combinations, same as has been required since red belt, but with much, much, much greater proficiency and accuracy.

Hyung: jinte, pyung ahn sam dan, keema hyung sam dan, and any other form below that they ask us to do.

Weapons: bong hyung sam dan

Il Soo Sik: Pyung ahn il soo sik #1-6, and we have to know them perfectly.

Ho Sin Sul: Ee dan ho sin sul (2 cross-hand, 2 same-hand, 2 both hands, all sleeve grabs), as well as sword defense (attacking and defending - the aim is not to get cut)

Sparring: 3-round sparring, 2-on-1. In other words, #2 and #3 fight #1 until they ring the bell, when #1 and #3 fight #2, until they ring the bell for #1 and #2 to fight #3. All continuous. Goes for as long as they want it to go.

Breaking: Flying side kick over 3 people (kneeling down). One board, because we don't pay for boards at tests.

Endurance: 30-45 seconds continuous 2-leg hop-up kicks

Knowledge: 3 judges each get a turn to ask me any question they want from the gup manual or from the knowledge I should have learned of terminology and philosophy.

There might be more, but here's hoping I survive all that ;)

Tang Soo!

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I hear you on the ssang jool bong. I hate to see them used in a way that is not with the original, and dare I add "intended" usage. People today usually have way too much flash with this weapon...The application of the swinging and twirling is juvenile at best. When I was learning this weapon my teacher gave it the nickname "Okinawan Handcuff", that in-of-itself speaks myriads about the practical usage of the weapon. It was explained to me that anyone (including small children) can walk up and whack someone over the head with a nunchaku and do major damage...However the martial art application (bunseok) is quite different. In fact many of the swings, and "catches" are just that, the swings can hook a limb and the catch applies pressure to the bones, nerves, and tendons, allowing for grappling movement, that very quickly disable your opponent (very painful stuff with even a little pressure)...the rest of the applications I learned that did involve striking were usually to nerve centers on the arms and legs, that led to grappling, or choking maneuvers...

In any case, best wishes.
--josh