Must everything be combat applicable??

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I have a friend on his way to Iraq right now. One of the reasons why he joined was that his goal is to be a martial arts instructor as a career. He asked me, "How can I teach if I don't actually know if it works?"

Obviously having served I have a healthy respect for the commitment aspect of your friends choice to serve.

I do disagree with the "how do I know if it will work logic" though because in actuallity (because the "it" that he/she will be applying will NOT be the same "it" that they will use in a martial arts career or self defense situation)

the more important question that will be answered is "how do I know if I will make it work?"

or

"How do I deal with myself when I am faced with my own inadequacies under stress?"

I really hope that everything goes well and that you get a chance to talk out the war stories after the fact in any case.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I have a friend on his way to Iraq right now. One of the reasons why he joined was that his goal is to be a martial arts instructor as a career. He asked me, "How can I teach if I don't actually know if it works?"
I can empathize with that point. Part of the reason for my stint in green too.

Ultimately he probably got more experience shooting, driving, working radios, figuring out which MRE's taste best and doing KP duty than he did/will seeing if his MA skills work in the combat zone. 99% of the whole military/LEO "thing" is just putting your #$% out there. The rest is the skills, toys and "adventure"....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not fair Paul, you beat me too it. Just in a different way.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I can empathize with that point. Part of the reason for my stint in green too.

Ultimately he probably got more experience shooting, driving, working radios, figuring out which MRE's taste best and doing KP duty than he did/will seeing if his MA skills work in the combat zone. 99% of the whole military/LEO "thing" is just putting your #$% out there. The rest is the skills, toys and "adventure"....
This from the guy who got to ride helicopters and play PlaySTation more than any ten of us because he was with the PSD team and was the PSO (read stood next to the 1 Star General and ate, rode and traveled as comfortably as that guy got too).... I don't sound bitter about that do I :)....

Seriously though, even among 'those who were/are there' there are 'warriors' and there are 'guys/girls who are doing their time.' Committment, dedication, professionalism,... even in the service there are those who take them seriously and those who are just marking time. A cook could be a more 'warrior-like' soldier/sailor/Marine than an infantryman who doesn't have the same drive for personal excellence or dedication to duty.

In the end though the willingness to apply what you know for the service of others is a huge part of 'being a warrior.' Training in a vacuum of hobby and enthusiast interest is fine for individual development, but doesn't make you a 'warrior' IMO.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
This from the guy who got to ride helicopters and play PlaySTation more than any ten of us because he was with the PSD team and was the PSO (read stood next to the 1 Star General and ate, rode and traveled as comfortably as that guy got too).... I don't sound bitter about that do I :)....
What can I say, some are high speed, elite, warrior-class bodyguards. Others can ony drive around in HMMWV's.... ;)

Seriously though, even among 'those who were/are there' there are 'warriors' and there are 'guys/girls who are doing their time.' Committment, dedication, professionalism,... even in the service there are those who take them seriously and those who are just marking time. A cook could be a more 'warrior-like' soldier/sailor/Marine than an infantryman who doesn't have the same drive for personal excellence or dedication to duty.
Very good point. 50% "being there" 50% "work ethic".....

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
What can I say, some are high speed, elite, warrior-class bodyguards. Others can ony drive around in HMMWV's.... ;)
Don't even go there, you're just taller than me and they saw your raised hand when they asked for volunteers in formation... my hand didn't clear Tweety's shoulder...

Why does it have to be "High Speed" what is that a "Tall joke" are you poking a LITTLE fun at the short guy... I get it now. "Low Profile" isn't good for Body Guard, but I did have a lot more leg room on those horrible cots...:).

Don't worry, I will only see this as a SMALL offense at my expense....:)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry for that LITTLE bit of thread drift there folks.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Drag'n said:
The fighting abilities I've gained from my training are valuable.If I ever have to defend myself on the street I'm more than confident in my abilities.
But the self dicipline and sense of integrity I've gained from studdying Budo is invaluable.
I may never have to use my fighting skills to survive, but they are there if I ever need them.
My commitment to "the way" however , serves me every day in every aspect of my life.I would not be where I am today had I never been a martial artist.
To me, being a martial artist is a constant strive for self perfection.Not just in physical techniques. A true warrior lives with courtesy , self discipline, respect and integrity. Without these qualities he is nothing but a thug, and a danger to himself and others.THAT is why most traditional martial arts have a stong ethical and moral foundation. If you think it is some kind of marketing plee then I pity you.
Many students may already have a sense of morality, but do they listen to it?
To live as a true martial artist requires great discipline.There are so many opportunities to take the easy way out, both in training and in everyday life.
The social institutions in place to teach moral ethics have largely failed.
I beleive training in true Budo is the most efective method of body mind spirit and moral development ever devised. Fighting techniques are just the tip of the iceburg.
Quote:
"Everything you do in daily life is a facet of the training towards fulfilment in the Way- the Karate Way.
Subjecting oneself to the demands of training is more aimed at victory over the self and the forging of an unshakable spirit than at developing mere phisical strength."

Mas Oyama - founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Excellent post.:cheers:

Latest Discussions