Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave to make

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That has not been alleged.
Gee, isn't it interesting that the Obama Justice Department gets involved in this, yet wanted nothing to do with the Black Panthers outside the polling place in 2008?

This isn't a Justice Department case-it's the EEOC-for the umpteenth time. It's what they do, based upon some pretty strict guidelines, which this case clearly falls within. It's just that simple-no plot, no conspiracy-except maybe on the part of the woman who initiated the complaint.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't a Justice Department case-it's the EEOC-for the umpteenth time. It's what they do, based upon some pretty strict guidelines, which this case clearly falls within. It's just that simple-no plot, no conspiracy-except maybe on the part of the woman who initiated the complaint.

If you take the right to complain away surely you will also be taking rights away from everyone. This case may be just her being awkward or whatever but take away the right to go to court for this and you'll find that you've taken away your rights to go to court for what maybe a serious case for you.
She may have a case or may not but if your laws etc say she has a right to complain she must be allowed to do so. One day it might be you who has to complain.

This is 'you' as in everyone btw not 'you' as in just Elder even if he is being 'inciteful' :)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is why they have substitutes, not so teachers can take trips to the other side of the planet. There are laws directly on point for that, which do not apply in this case because "Sometime in her lifetime." Does not and did not mean the three weeks she demanded. There are laws directly on point for that, which do not apply in this case because "Sometime in her lifetime." Does not and did not mean the three weeks she demanded.
Someone without 1 minute of law school can point out that "Sometime in her lifetime." does not and did not mean the three weeks she demanded.

All she needs to prove is that her going did not cause undue hardship to the employer. Since her being off for 3 weeks for any other reason does not cause undue hardship, then the school dustrict does not really have a case.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Justice department is the one suing the school district, at the behest of the EEOC, but, Justice brought the suit.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the vacation accrual and usage policy? If she can accrue the time and take it off in one chunk (assuming it fits the existing policy) then she should get.

If the policy doesn't allow that much vacation accruing, or it doesn't allow someone to take it off in that big of a chunk, then too bad.

If she was Muslim when hired, then she probably should have checked the bennies & policies to make sure they fit with her needs. If she converted after being hired, then she should make a decision as to whether the job requirements fit her personal needs.

I've known people who have changed jobs after religious conversions...I've known people who have a religious belief that caused them to reject jobs.

I think this may give her a fine opportunity to make a personal sacrifice for her beliefs.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The Justice department is the one suing the school district, at the behest of the EEOC, but, Justice brought the suit.

Yes-but-unlike the 2008 Black Panther case, which was invested by the DOJ's Civil Rights section, the DOJ has no choice or say so in representing the suit once the EEOC has made the determination and sent it to them. It's also worth pointing out that there are several steps required for the process to reach that point, including mediation -both sides have to sit down and make attempts to reach some sort of accomodation or settlement. Barring that, there is only a court case if one or both parties refuse arbitration.

The very fact that the EEOC has elected to bring a suit pretty much says she's going to win. Doesn't make it "right," or even fair, but they violated the law by not offering a reasonable accomodation and not being able to demonstrate that a three week absence constitutes "undue hardship" in any way.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh my word. I can`t believe I did that. With most people it could be either, but in his case it`s deffinately the former.

Would you beileve I teach English? *Hangs head in shame*

LOL, lucky find. :angel:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my word. I can`t believe I did that. With most people it could be either, but in his case it`s deffinately the former.

Would you beileve I teach English? *Hangs head in shame*

Freudian slip lol?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a word of advice here...

It's OK to attack the message, but not the one delivering the message. Keep in mind, that all it takes is one or two words, and that could easily make the difference.