Bangladeshi Muslims Whip Rape Victim to Death

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only 14, Bangladeshi girl charged with adultery was lashed to death

Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN) EXCERPT:-- Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl.
Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public.
Hena dropped after 70.
Bloodied and bruised, she was taken to hospital, where she died a week later.
Amazingly, an initial autopsy report cited no injuries and deemed her death a suicide. Hena's family insisted her body be exhumed. They wanted the world to know what really happened to their daughter.
Sharia: illegal but still practiced
Hena's family hailed from rural Shariatpur, crisscrossed by murky rivers that lend waters to rice paddies and lush vegetable fields.
Hena was the youngest of five children born to Darbesh Khan, a day laborer, and his wife, Aklima Begum. They shared a hut made from corrugated tin and decaying wood and led a simple life that was suddenly marred a year ago with the return of Hena's cousin Mahbub Khan.
Mahbub Khan came back to Shariatpur from a stint working in Malaysia. His son was Hena's age and the two were in seventh grade together.
Khan eyed Hena and began harassing her on her way to school and back, said Hena's father. He complained to the elders who run the village about his nephew, three times Hena's age.
The elders admonished Mahbub Khan and ordered him to pay $1,000 in fines to Hena's family. But Mahbub was Darbesh's older brother's son and Darbesh was asked to let the matter fade.
Many months later on a winter night, as Hena's sister Alya told it, Hena was walking from her room to an outdoor toilet when Mahbub Khan gagged her with cloth, forced her behind nearby shrubbery and beat and raped her.
Hena struggled to escape, Alya told CNN. Mahbub Khan's wife heard Hena's muffled screams and when she found Hena with her husband, she dragged the teenage girl back to her hut, beat her and trampled her on the floor.
The next day, the village elders met to discuss the case at Mahbub Khan's house, Alya said. The imam pronounced his fatwa. Khan and Hena were found guilty of an illicit relationship. Her punishment under sharia or Islamic law was 101 lashes; his 201.
Mahbub Khan managed to escape after the first few lashes.
Darbesh Khan and Aklima Begum had no choice but to mind the imam's order. They watched as the whip broke the skin of their youngest child and she fell unconscious to the ground.
"What happened to Hena is unfortunate and we all have to be ashamed that we couldn't save her life," said Sultana Kamal, who heads the rights organization Ain o Shalish Kendro.
Bangladesh is considered a democratic and moderate Muslim country, and national law forbids the practice of sharia. But activist and journalist Shoaib Choudhury, who documents such cases, said sharia is still very much in use in villages and towns aided by the lack of education and strong judicial systems.
The Supreme Court also outlawed fatwas a decade ago, but human rights monitors have documented more than 500 cases of women in those 10 years who were punished through a religious ruling. And few who have issued such rulings have been charged.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it you want to say here, Don? Please be specific what your point is.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Barbarism is unacceptable?

Really? I was born at night, Don, but not last night. Please do not urinate down my back and tell me it's raining.

Did you think anyone would disagree with the sentiment that bad people doing bad things is bad? Did you suspect that anyone here step up and say that no, they think barbarism is a lovely thing altogether and they wish it was practiced more often these days?

Or was this perhaps - just perhaps - part of your agenda, dovetailing as it does with your perpetual posting of every negative news story you can find that has the world "Muslim" in it?

The term 'one trick pony' springs unbidden to mind. You have a problem with Muslims. We get it. You're convinced we just don't understand how dangerous them there people are. We get it. Some of us agree with you - bilichak, your echo chamber - and some don't - like me. Nobody is likely to have their mind changed by your posting these things over and over again, and then denying you're doing it because of some religious hatred like ANYONE believes you. Yawn. It's boring, Don. It's banal. It's pointless.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Big Don, I guess that's it. Bill Mattocks has spoken and so I guess you will now depart from Martialtalk. If only you had listened to him, this whole mess could have been avoided. Well, it was nice knowing you. Bye.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to say it is pretty funny when people on the study complain about what other people post here on the study. I have to say, "Who cares." Post what you want and other people will post what they want. As long as the owner of Martialtalk doesn't mind, it is really noone (yes, I misspelled it) elses business. Have a nice day.:angel:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say it is pretty funny when people on the study complain about what other people post here on the study. I have to say, "Who cares." Post what you want and other people will post what they want. As long as the owner of Martialtalk doesn't mind, it is really noone (yes, I misspelled it) elses business. Have a nice day.:angel:

Except I'm not complaining. I asked a question about Big Don's motivation in posting the same old crap over and over again. He obfuscated, which he pretty much does every time I ask that question. I also made a statement about how boring, mundane, and otherwise useless I happen to find his brand of ugliness.

You, on the other hand, chose to make an inane comment, indicating to me that you really have nothing else to offer; certainly no insightful commentary or meaningful critique; just your usual sneer.

Then you followed up by suggesting that I should not criticize Big Don's right to post whatever he wishes without questioning it. If true, then pray explain why you question my right to post my commentary without YOU complaining about ME? Wouldn't that be my business and Big Don's, and not yours? Oops, huh?

Seriously, if you want a battle of wits, go get some and come back. I'll wait.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? I was born at night, Don, but not last night. Please do not urinate down my back and tell me it's raining.

Did you think anyone would disagree with the sentiment that bad people doing bad things is bad? Did you suspect that anyone here step up and say that no, they think barbarism is a lovely thing altogether and they wish it was practiced more often these days?

Or was this perhaps - just perhaps - part of your agenda, dovetailing as it does with your perpetual posting of every negative news story you can find that has the world "Muslim" in it?

The term 'one trick pony' springs unbidden to mind. You have a problem with Muslims. We get it. You're convinced we just don't understand how dangerous them there people are. We get it. Some of us agree with you - bilichak, your echo chamber - and some don't - like me. Nobody is likely to have their mind changed by your posting these things over and over again, and then denying you're doing it because of some religious hatred like ANYONE believes you. Yawn. It's boring, Don. It's banal. It's pointless.
A few acquantances of mine here in the hinterlands happen to be Muslim. They are the FIRST people to balk at barbarism like this. Ozymandis is even Bangladeshi. See, the problem isn't Muslims, it is the overwhelming fear of Muslim terrorists that keeps sane people from commenting on how utterly and unambiguously wrong behavior like this is. For the record, those people who speak out the loudest against Fred Phelps and his merry band of friggin loons are Christians, not wanting to be painted with the same brush. Why then aren't Muslims the loudest speaking out against crap like this?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, stick to the topic please, and leave the personal shots out of it.
Thank you.

To be honest here....I'm tired of defending Islam from itself. I think Don's right here...Why then aren't Muslims the loudest speaking out against crap like this?I know some do, but it's be a fricken lot nicer to see more of them doing it, and taking stands against this stuff. Maybe I'm reading the wrong news blogs but I rarely see Muslims condemning self-inflicted hatred like this.

Bill's right too though...seems a number of folks (myself included most likely) post a lot of 1 sided stuff. Be nice to see more of a balance in here.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few acquantances of mine here in the hinterlands happen to be Muslim. They are the FIRST people to balk at barbarism like this. Ozymandis is even Bangladeshi. See, the problem isn't Muslims, it is the overwhelming fear of Muslim terrorists that keeps sane people from commenting on how utterly and unambiguously wrong behavior like this is. For the record, those people who speak out the loudest against Fred Phelps and his merry band of friggin loons are Christians, not wanting to be painted with the same brush. Why then aren't Muslims the loudest speaking out against crap like this?

You make your real point with the same breath, Don.

First you claim you're not anti-Muslim. Some of your best friends, etc, etc. Then you admit that not *all* Muslims are terrorists.

But then..."Why then aren't Muslims the loudest speaking out against crap like this?"

That's been asked and answered over and over again, Don. They do. Do you speak Bangladeshi? Do you read Islamic newspapers? Do you know what "Muslims" around the world have to say about this? Or do you, like me, mostly read English-language news sources that have a readership with a very small Muslim readership? So how is it you know what Muslims are or are not saying about this crime? How would you know what they are speaking out against?

But this isn't about the lack of Muslims 'speaking out against' this sort of thing. This is a rhetorical question on your part - not requiring an answer - to 'prove' that indeed, Muslims do not speak out against such things, because they secretly approve of them.

In fact, if you want to have some fun, go to Google Books and search for "why don't they speak out". Nothing more, just that. Amazingly, what you find are arguments against blacks, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, and Protestants. It's the standard argument one uses when one wishes to demonize another group and does NOT want to stand up and say "Hey, I hate these guys and I'm proud of it!"

The nouns change over time, Don. The sad insinuation never does. It's a sneaky way of saying what you want to say but don't want to say out loud. It's code, Don. As I've urged before, be a mensch and say what you really mean.

Seriously. Either you're woofing me, in which case you failed, or you're woofing yourself, in which case, find a mirror, man.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest here....I'm tired of defending Islam from itself. I think Don's right here...Why then aren't Muslims the loudest speaking out against crap like this?I know some do, but it's be a fricken lot nicer to see more of them doing it, and taking stands against this stuff. Maybe I'm reading the wrong news blogs but I rarely see Muslims condemning self-inflicted hatred like this.

Think about where you live, what news you are exposed to, and consider that there are thousands of newspapers that are not in English, not published here, and people who give their opinions loudly and clearly that neither you nor I will ever hear from.

By what means can you state with certainty that Muslims do not speak out against atrocities? Because they still happen? Considering that there are 1.3 billion Muslims on the planet, I'd wager that if many Muslims thought such killings were fine and dandy, they're be a lot more of them happening. The fact that they're news clear over here would seem to indicate that they are relatively rare compared to the Muslim population.

Imagine a Muslim guy in Pakistan sitting down watching the evening news or reading his local newspaper and he reads a story about a Catholic priest abusing a child, or a US serviceman killing an Afghani civilian, and he says "If Americans are against this sort of thing, why aren't they speaking out against it?" Do you suppose he sees a lot of the news we see, especially if he doesn't speak English?

"Why don't they speak out against it"
is a tool used to indict a people, because it is made in places and times when the general population can look about them and notice that indeed, no one of that sort seems to be making a big fuss as one might expect they would. The truth is that the entire nation of Bangladesh could be crying in pain over this particular murder under color of religion, and you and I would never know it. But it sure is an easy charge to make. Just pick someone you don't like an apply it; especially if they're a minority or their voices are not commonly heard at all where you live.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A few acquantances of mine here in the hinterlands happen to be Muslim. ?

On the other hand, Don, I don't see you decrying the burning of "witches"-many only children-in Nigeria or other places in sub-Saharan Africa, or questioning why the "Christians" aren't screaming the loudest about this (and other) barbarisms taking place, and perpetrated by Christians.....

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Christ, I get tired of doing this over, and over, and over again...
3071528506_fe09d8e60f_o.jpg
fatwa.jpg
muslims-against-violence-against-women.jpg
MusBroJamIsl-woman-protest-sign.jpg
IranHangingProtest-2%2520%28WinCE%29.jpg
_45190048_antiterrorprotestap226.jpg

They "aren't speaking out" because YOU ARE DELIBERATELY NOT LISTENING!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
how many stories like this have to be posted before some people admitt that THAT much smoke? prob means there is some fire there.....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
women forced to wear a burka as evidence of how GOOD islam is?

that just fractured my irony bone.....

I carry a Rosary. Oh, excuse me, I mean I'm forced to. I just think I do it because I choose to obey the dictates of my faith of my own free will.

I don't know why some women wear a burka. Here in the Detroit area, we see them a lot. A free expression of piety? A religious choice of their own? Submission to their husband or their local Imam? I have no idea.

But you do. You know these things. :rofl:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well lets see....how many school girls was it that were FORCED to burn to death because they wernt wearing thier burkas??

so yeah, FORCED is a pretty safe bet

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why then aren't Muslims the loudest speaking out against crap like this?I know some do, but it's be a fricken lot nicer to see more of them doing it, and taking stands against this stuff. Maybe I'm reading the wrong news blogs but I rarely see Muslims condemning self-inflicted hatred like this.

THEY DO!!! They are stalking the corners in Vancouver and Portland all the frickin' time.

And ... correct me if I'm wrong here, but ... isn't speaking out against your government in terrorist nations a death-penalty offense??

Why don't you hear it more? Because the war against terror is bigger news. Because the twins who babble to each other is bigger news. Because Kyron Hormon is still missing. Because Portland's Gay mayor can't shave or stay away from teen boys. Because Tiger Woods has got a new girlfriend. Because Charlie Sheen is going off the deep end ... or getting screwed by the network or SAG or both.

It's all bigger news. Who wants to hear that most Muslims are peaceful? Just look at the Study, Bob.

No one except me, Empty Hands, elder999, Bill Mattocks and a few others.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well lets see....how many school girls was it that were FORCED to burn to death because they wernt wearing thier burkas??

so yeah, FORCED is a pretty safe bet
Uh, that was from the West Wing quote that I quoted...

Latest Discussions