Music

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What Music do you guys listen to when you are on your way to and from class?

I personally listen to some hair rock on the way to class and I always to Elvis on the way home.

V/R

Rick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Classic rock on the way and mostly 70's type music on the way home thank God for XM radio.
terry

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a long drive, each direction.

Going to class, it takes me a little bit to transition out of my "work" mindset. I usually listen to talk radio long enough to get my blood boiling, then I switch over to my tunes. Hair rock usually works for me :D

Going home, the trip isn't as long as the trip to the school....but I MUST play something that keeps me awake. Recently I've been listening to the Celtics or Bruins. When they aren't playing, I listen to blues or rockabilly...sometimes classic rock.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like stuff like Allman Bros, or Stevie Ray Vaughan to get me
cranked up on the way there. On the way home, the local
jr. college radio station has a great jazz playlist that I find very relaxing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
NPR news on the way in (40 minutes) and classic rock on the way back.

Lamont

OP
Rick Wade

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am seeing alot of classic rock are we all showing our age?

Ha Ha just kidding.:-offtopic sorry.

V/R

Rick

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a pretty short ride to and from but I get to the school early and jam with my windows down and BS with my fellow students. (The school is in a big parking lot) I like Country and Rock or a mix of. On the country side maybe Trace Adkins – songs about me, Honky Tonk Badonkadonk, Chrome. Or some good ole Chris Ledoux –County Fair, Cowboys hat. And on the rock side just about all of the 80’s rock bands.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
What Music do you guys listen to when you are on your way to and from class?
Rick
ME???
Preparing for class:
50% Metallica (principly from the Black Album and Master of Puppets album)
15% Disturbed (first two albums)
10% AC/DC (Back in Black, and some other stuff)
10% Pantera (Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power)
5% God Smack
10% Megadeath

These stats are almost exact, because I created the list in my computer.

After class:
One of the several "Gathering of Nations" CD's....
like the Native American POW-WOW druming and singing..!!
Very powerful and thought provoking!!
OR....
MOZART!!!!
He rocks..

Your Brother
John

cloak13

White Belt
Reaction score
I actually bring music into the class, something for us to listen to while we work. I find that it gets the students a little more pumped.

Metallica
Drop Kick Murphys
System of a Down
Slipknot
Misfits
Rage Against the Machine

Those bands and others like them tend to get the most play. Usually we let students bring stuff in as long as no one in the class finds the material offensive we play it. And as you can guess with bands like those we are not offended easily :)

Tim Kulp
Westminster, MD

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dean Martin,BlueBeat/Ska Clash, The Four Tops, Jimi Hendrix, Any Atlantic Rec. 68/69 Soul,Spingsteen, Dylan and latterly Green Day....sorry what was the question?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
I am seeing alot of classic rock are we all showing our age?

Showing our age? Nah, I'm usually mistaken for a women in my mid-20s. Kenpo is good for sooooooo many things! :rofl:

(ahem) I'm a Rush geek...and a Zepplin geek....and a Robert Plant geek....and...

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hate to sound like a dope here, but what is Hair rock? Are we talking about the flinstones here?:rolleyes:
I listen to things like evenessence...sp... on the way there. I usually listen to whatever is on the radio on the way back.

Liking classic rock in no way reveals your age. What it does reveal is taste.:2xbird:

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this is appropriate, but music is put on *during* class at the instructors' option. For instance, if I'm doing the Medieval sword, Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is playing. On the reverse side, the JKD class has Industrial mixes playing for following they rhythym of the sticks, punches, takedowns, etc. Allowances in volume are made when there's instruction being given, of course.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On the way to class - Clapton, Led Zep, AC/DC, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and just before a test.....all 17 minutes of Ina Godda Da Vida (Iron Butterfly for those in question). LOL. Dating myself, nah! It was actually supposed to be In The Garden of Eden, but pharmacutical influences carved a different title for history.

On the way home.....something smooth and reflective.

-Garry

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin Moose said:
On the way to class - Clapton, Led Zep, AC/DC, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and just before a test.....all 17 minutes of Ina Godda Da Vida (Iron Butterfly for those in question). LOL. Dating myself, nah! It was actually supposed to be In The Garden of Eden, but pharmacutical influences carved a different title for history.

On the way home.....something smooth and reflective.

-Garry

So that WASN'T just a Simpson's episode? :D

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mcura said:
I don't know if this is appropriate, but music is put on *during* class at the instructors' option. For instance, if I'm doing the Medieval sword, Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is playing. On the reverse side, the JKD class has Industrial mixes playing for following they rhythym of the sticks, punches, takedowns, etc. Allowances in volume are made when there's instruction being given, of course.

I think it's a great motivator putting on music during the class (it is also proven to aid memory if it's appropriate).

I remember one time trying to instill a bit of aggression into some students during a class - brought in the matrix CD and suddenly they all thought there were Neo or something. I find any kind of Rock as a good activator.

There is nothing like doing a few technique line ups to Creed, GnR or AC/DC etc to get everyone in the frame of mind - but keep a softer CD back for them unwinding before the end of the lesson! :)

Give it a go!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have to admit I love listening to some good ol' AC-DC, KISS, or Classic Rock. Every once in awhile though I just have to have some country, Blues (Leadbelly rules), or - God help me - New Age stuff. Just depends on the day, no rhyme or reason to it. I will listen to ANYTHING, except maybe Lawrence Welk style Big Band. (insert retching sounds here) LOL.

Latest Discussions