Music Anyone?

J

JKD_Silat

I'm newb here, so please forgive me if this was the topic of a past thread. What music , if any do you guys listen to while training? For South East Asian arts, we listen to traditional Phillipino percussions. For JKD, we blast everything from classis rock, techno, speed metal, to underground hip hop, depending on who is instructing in any given class. Its kinda funny, when I'm shadowboxing, or working my heavy bag at home, I often still hear the music pulsating in my head, and it really helps my rhythm! Guess thats better than the voices that were there before......

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
JKD_Silat said:
I'm newb here, so please forgive me if this was the topic of a past thread. What music , if any do you guys listen to while training? For South East Asian arts, we listen to traditional Phillipino percussions. For JKD, we blast everything from classis rock, techno, speed metal, to underground hip hop, depending on who is instructing in any given class. Its kinda funny, when I'm shadowboxing, or working my heavy bag at home, I often still hear the music pulsating in my head, and it really helps my rhythm! Guess thats better than the voices that were there before......
The beat can help. Pure congas allow the beat to flow without the distarction of listening to a song.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
During my eskrima class I play a cd called Sabla Tolo 2 by Hassam Ramzy. He does traditional arabic percussion. It gives a nice beat to the class that doesn't cause a distraction. He also has a nice flamenco cd out called Flamenco Arabe that does pretty nice too.

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I rarely notice the music, I just train.

JPR

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cuda plays jazz when we train. He can get more in-depth as to why, but basically it has to do with the improvisational nature of jazz. The broken rythm, half-beats, etc. that you find there.

Personally, I like classic rock (gotta get the Led out) and latin music (specifically salsa) and latin jazz (Tito Puente, Arturo Sandoval).

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like doing martial arts to music. It helps me get lost in the art and think of nothing else for some reason. I mainly listen to New Age, like Enya and enigma when I do martial arts. For faster, harder training, Evanescence.

OP
J

jkdhit

there are a few i listen to that are more related to rock and some inspirational. i mainly use them for the beat to work on footwork and speed

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I almost always train with music,but nothing stops "the voices"

Latest Discussions