Muscle pain in oblique muscles

Leviathan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

After practicing martial arts on my own I have a lot of muscle pain in the oblique muscles of the lower back and on the sides. These are the muscles that tilt your pelvis to the side.

When / How long? Usually I can feel some fatigue on the same day and muscle pain lasts for a few days. Recovery is really slow and I cannot train like that more than 2 x a week. Other muscle groups barely feel any pain (maybe some other back muscles, a bit the glutes, sometimes the hamstrings) and recover much faster.

What kind of training do I do? Mainly (high) kicks. A usual training session will start with +/- 10 min moderate warm up and then I'll go for some kicks series. As an example I may perform (15 x on each side) jump spin back kick, hook kick, spin hook kick, roundhouse kick. I aim for as high as possible while controlling the kick. Jerking my leg or excessive upper body leaning to reach higher? No not interested, I want to keep it clean. My training sessions usually do not last longer than 1 hour. When I do not train martial arts I often go for a run.

Diet? Fairly healthy. Lots of fruit / vegetable and enough proteins to repair muscle mass. I do not take any protein powder or supplements.

Is this normal? I have a hard time believing I am overtraining (Tae Kwon Do people do much more). Do you have an idea what I am doing wrong? (OK without seeing me performing that may be hard to tell in case it's because of my technique).

I have been practising for several years now and I am 45. I do some gentle stretching after every training (MA or running).

When I was a teenager and practised bodybuilding I was told / read repeatedly you shouldn't train on a sore muscle or you would risk some injury so I am reluctant to training on muscle pain.

I am grateful for any insight / tip on this. Thanks in advance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a whole bunch of stabilising exercises you could do that might clean that up.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't train on sore muscles. If they are sore then I'll massage them out. Right now my arms are sore and I won't be working out my arms today or anything else. For me Sore Muscles = Damage Muscles. The only fix for that is to Heal First Train Later. This becomes even more important as we age and I bodies don't recover as fast. Working on sore muscles just delays the healing process and can potentially cause new problems that you didn't originally have before.

I think drop bear is on the right track. The muscles that are taking a long time to heal are probably muscles that you normally haven't worked hard before. As for the other muscle groups that seem to be doing fine, you probably use those muscles more than the ones that are hurting you now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends how sore you are. I have seen people get rapto from over training. But they were pushing a lot further past training on sore muscles than would be considered normal.