Muhammad cartoon

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Satt said:
Nothing actually. I am going to do what I said, sit back and laugh as all the countries in the world fall victim to their own lack of intestinal fortitude.

Funny that intestinal fortitude doesn't mean beleving your culture is perfect. Otherwise it'd mean that bigotry and cowardice equated to intestinal fortitude.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
It's obvious that publishing those cartoons was in bad taste, especially considering that the response was predictable. But, I think we can clearly see that most of the Muslim world expects a double standard of cultural tolerance.

Check out some newspaper cartoons from the Muslim world: http://www.tomgrossmedia.com/ArabCartoons.htm

Gee, aren't those hilarious? Shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Interesting. Just what are you personally doing to prevent this otherwise inevatible fall of Europe?

Well I think the first step is to let people know about the dangers of HT and groups like them.

Too many people in the west still seem to think that if we do nothing to provoke Muslims then they will have no reason to attack us. They tend to blame us rather than the attackers, thinking that we must have brought it on ourselves.

But if you know about HT, and see this controversy over the cartoons you can see that there really is not much needed for some to justify violent attacks against the west. We need to know that there are people out there that are working for a theocracy and will use any excuse to try to alienate the Muslim world.

They are not above making things up as well. So even if we keep our noses super clean and not publish any naughty cartoons, they will still hate us for allowing Jews to kidnap Muslim children to use their blood in traditional pastries. :rolleyes:

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think sometimes people get confused in thinking that Muslims and terrorist are one of the same.....

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zepp said:
It's obvious that publishing those cartoons was in bad taste, especially considering that the response was predictable. But, I think we can clearly see that most of the Muslim world expects a double standard of cultural tolerance.

Check out some newspaper cartoons from the Muslim world: http://www.tomgrossmedia.com/ArabCartoons.htm

Gee, aren't those hilarious? Shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.

I just wish one of these _____ "Leaders" we have would stop trying to be PC and take something like these cartoons and go on the offense. I know the whole point is that the cartoon of Muhammad is blaphemous, but I am getting tired of the BS coming from the rioters and the people controlling them. I know it is not all Muslims who are rioting, but as this drags on and gets more violent it is hard at times to remember the difference.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not all muslims are terrorists but most terrorists are muslim. There's no external power that's going to control the extremists. The peaceful muslims who vastly outnumber the radicals advocating violence are the ones who need to rein them in but that doesn't seem to be happening. There are those speaking out against the violence but it appears that the majority is maintaining its silence.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cartoons prompt spike in Danish Web hacks
800 Web sites defaced
News Story by Robert McMillan

FEBRUARY 08, 2006 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - The furor over a Danish newspaper's publication of cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed is being felt on the Internet, where hackers have struck down and defaced hundreds of Danish Web sites over the past week, according to a Web site that tracks digital attacks.

Approximately 800 Danish Web sites have been hacked since the end of January, when reaction to the cartoons began to receive widespread media attention, said Roberto Preatoni, founder of the Zone-h.org Web site.

On Tuesday, about 200 Danish Web sites were reported as hacked with many of them defaced with messages "in support of this Islamic war on the Internet," Preatoni said. Typically between five and 10 Danish Web sites are reported hacked each day, he said.

Messages on the hacked sites include "don't ever talk about our prophet," "[expletive] Denmark," and "Let the Muslim people live in peace [expletive]."

Most of the hackers are "posting hate messages," Preatoni said, but there are exceptions. "In some examples, we actually saw intelligent educated people who hacked and posted very polite messages, explaining what they were thinking."

The 12 cartoons, originally published on Sept. 30 by the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten have offended Muslims the world over and sparked attacks by protesters on Danish embassies in Tehran, Beirut and Damascus.

Preatoni estimates that another 700 non-Danish Web sites have also been hacked in connection with the cartoons.

The Zone-h.org Web site contains about 10 years' worth of data on hacked Web sites, most of it submitted by the hackers themselves, including information on the motivation behind the attacks.

Other worldwide hacking protests have flared up in the past, including a surge in attacks after a U.S. spy plane was downed in China in 2001. After the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, there was also a "massive Islamic protest" on the Internet, Preatoni said.

The reaction to the Danish cartoons, however, has yielded the largest number of defacements in such a short time, Preatoni sad. "Islamic hackers, regardless of where they are located in the globe, they are uniting in this general protest against Denmark," he said.

One Danish site that has apparently not been defaced is that of the Jyllands-Posten itself. It has been the target of a number of denial-of-service attacks, where attackers attempt to flood the Web site with so many requests that it ceases to operate, but it has remained in operation, said Mikko Hypponen, director of antivirus research at F-Secure Corp. in Helsinki, Finland.

"Outside of that, I'm not aware of any hack attacks that have succeeded in any way," he said. "It has not been defaced."

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know a few years ago, a group of Muslims in Afghanistan violently destroyed two giant, ancient statues of Buddha. In Buddhism, shared by something like 300,000,000 people world wide, this is a terrible thing to do. There were no buildings burned, no violence, no death threats.

Bibles are burned daily in the Middle East. Yet there are no violence, burning, or death threats from Christians.

What is really worrying me at the moment is the different way people are talking now. More and more westerners are openly accepting that the actions of the extremists is reflective of all Muslims. Conversely, I seem to hear more and more Muslim voices telling me that the west is wicked and Islam is right to fight back.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=261960

This is an interesting story i found.

It must be emphatically pointed out that the Muslim rejection of the cartoons does not derive from a universalistic view that one should respect religions. The criticism does not derive from a secularist view that holds all religions in equal indifference and requires "sensitivity" not on account of theologies, but in order to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. The Muslim view is theological: The Prophet Mohammed is not to be ridiculed or portrayed. But violating the sensibilities of other religions is not taboo. Therefore, Muslims frequently, in action, print and speech, do and say things about other religions -- Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism -- that followers of these religions would find defamatory. The Taliban, for example, were not concerned about the views among other religions when they destroyed the famous Buddhas in Bamiyan. The Muslim demand is honest and authentic: It is for respect for Islam, not a general secular respect for all beliefs as if they were all equal.

In terms of the dialogue over the cartoons, there is enough to amuse even the most jaded observers. The sight of Muslims arguing the need for greater sensitivity among others, and of advocates of laws against racial hatred demanding absolute free speech, is truly marvelous to behold. There is, of course, one minor difference between the two sides: The Muslims are threatening to kill people who offend them and are burning embassies -- in essence, holding entire nations responsible for the actions of a few of their citizens.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey....did you guys know we(the US) are the leaders of Europe? News to me....

Cartoon Protesters Direct Anger at U.S.

QALAT, Afghanistan - Police killed four people Wednesday as Afghans enraged over drawings of the Prophet Muhammad marched on a U.S. military base in a volatile southern province, directing their anger not against Europe but America.

The U.S. base was targeted because the United States "is the leader of Europe and the leading infidel in the world," said Sher Mohammed, a 40-year-old farmer who suffered a gunshot wound while taking part in the demonstration in the city of Qalat.

Yahoo Article

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
Hey....did you guys know we(the US) are the leaders of Europe? News to me....

Yahoo Article

Thats because you guys are the 'big satan'...(") we're (england) are just an ally.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
You know a few years ago, a group of Muslims in Afghanistan violently destroyed two giant, ancient statues of Buddha. In Buddhism, shared by something like 300,000,000 people world wide, this is a terrible thing to do. There were no buildings burned, no violence, no death threats.

Bibles are burned daily in the Middle East. Yet there are no violence, burning, or death threats from Christians.

What is really worrying me at the moment is the different way people are talking now. More and more westerners are openly accepting that the actions of the extremists is reflective of all Muslims. Conversely, I seem to hear more and more Muslim voices telling me that the west is wicked and Islam is right to fight back.

I know what your saying but the christians arent that innocent...mosques and muslims were targeted after the attacks on London now weather this was conducted by mear yobs or christians is not known but I know there is tension between christians and muslim in england right now........................plus how long did them crusades last.(")

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Large riots are different from vandalism by unknown people.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Muhammad is a common name in certain places - how do we know that these cartoons are of the prophet Muhammad?

If no likeness of Muhammad was allowed, then how does anyone know that these are depictions of the prophet Muhammad.

Personally, I'm pretty hurt by the "what's in your wallet" commercials that depict my people in a horrible light. But you don't see the vikings or visigoths raping and pillaging because of those commercials, do you?

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray said:
Muhammad is a common name in certain places - how do we know that these cartoons are of the prophet Muhammad?

If no likeness of Muhammad was allowed, then how does anyone know that these are depictions of the prophet Muhammad.

Probably the same way that even though Chrisitans don't know what Jesus looks like they can tell who he is in a picture most times....

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
Probably the same way that even though Chrisitans don't know what Jesus looks like they can tell who he is in a picture most times....
The depiction of Jesus is common and has been for many years (although it's probably not an accurate portrayal). In otherwords, Christians see pictures and statues of Jesus and are told "this is a representation of Jesus" and that's how they know.

The depiction of Muhammad is and was forbidden so I can't imagine that very many Muslims were exposed to pictures/paintings of him...therefore they cannot recognize him from the pictures.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They have no problem when the coin is turned however that is whats aggravating and hard to understand.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't recall the same furor over Gary Larson's depiction of Muhammad. (Had him sitting at home, with a mountain knocking on his door, and he was all like, "huh?")

Even the new stuff took months, and several fake cartoons inserted by certain theoracies before there was an outcry...

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
I know what your saying but the christians arent that innocent...mosques and muslims were targeted after the attacks on London now weather this was conducted by mear yobs or christians is not known but I know there is tension between christians and muslim in england right now........................plus how long did them crusades last.(")

Yes I agree. Christianity has done as much violence as Islam, if not more. The crusades, but even worse the conquest of the Americas or the raping of India's wealth, ect.

BUT, Christian fundamentalism isn't as dangerous as Islamic fundamentalism. This is due to the fact that there are far less fundamentalists today than in the past. Even Europe, the birthplace of orthodoxy Christianity, are only Christian in mere name (in other words most Europeans are secular).

Most Muslims are fundamentalists, although only a few are violent extremists or terrorists. Regardless Abrahamic fundies can be very violent even if you unintentionally piss them off.

Latest Discussions