MTer's Just Wondering, How Many Of You?????

SenseiJoeDiamante

White Belt
Reaction score
Being raised in the Bronx "NY" in the days of the kung-fu movies era, and loved it. Bruce Lee has always been a hero and role model. And as a kid, Enter the dargon or any of his movies even the Green Hornet always sparked something inside of me. Enter the Dragon was made in 1973, I was 12 yrs old, now at 49 some 37 years later I still get that same spark and thrill when I see a commercial " I mean just the other day I screamed; YEAH!" like a little kid that had seen just it for the first time.
So how many of you, do the same thing, or am I the only nut?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being raised in the Bronx "NY" in the days of the kung-fu movies era, and loved it. Bruce Lee has always been a hero and role model. And as a kid, Enter the dargon or any of his movies even the Green Hornet always sparked something inside of me. Enter the Dragon was made in 1973, I was 12 yrs old, now at 49 some 37 years later I still get that same spark and thrill when I see a commercial " I mean just the other day I screamed; YEAH!" like a little kid that had seen just it for the first time.
So how many of you, do the same thing, or am I the only nut?

I just watched, "Way Of The Dragon" yesterday. As I recall it was "Return Of the Dragon" when I was a Kid. Kung Fu movies are Da Bomb.
Sean

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Didn't grow up with those movies (too young) The first movies with martial arts movies that intriqued me where i got into MA for the first time was the Blade trilogy (although not ABOUT MA, it still had it in there) But i understand what u mean about being giddy as a schoolchild over that stuff hehe

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed watching Bruce Lee movies when I was younger and i think I've watched all his movies. But now, it's not that I am not a fan anymore it's just that I don't like watching the same movie all over again. I don't know maybe I'm just busy.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fist of Fury, the first time i saw that as a kid, that was.. i dont know, something for the underdog or something that appealed to me.
Enter the Dragon was possibly a better budget film etc but i think i liked the rural Chinese settings better like in Big Boss etc. They were movie sets i know, but, just saying.

... no, your not alone haha

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. I remember as a kid hearing the radio spots for Bruce's movies and others like the 5 fingers of death and those always got me going. I would stop everything just to hear the cracks, slaps and yells on the radio. Saw all of Bruce's and those types of movies at the drive-in in those days and just thinking about gets me amped. I still love those movies and even get my kids to watch them with me. My 4 year old loves to watch Bruce Lee movies with me and runs around like I did as a kid kicking and jumping everywhere.

Nope you are not the only nut on the tree.
icon10.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Enter the Dragon was my first martial arts movie, but the one that got me INTO martial arts was The Octagon with Chuck Norris. That and, as cheesy as it sounds, the TV Show, The Master. I wanted to be a ninja pretty bad. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Enter the Dragon was my first martial arts movie, but the one that got me INTO martial arts was The Octagon with Chuck Norris. That and, as cheesy as it sounds, the TV Show, The Master. I wanted to be a ninja pretty bad. :)
I watched that show religiously when it was on.

I was probably the most influenced by the Kung Fu series, with regards to television shows. Channel 20 had an action theatre that used to run Shaw Brothers and other Kung Fu movies, and I loved that.

When I was old enough to discern different martial arts (everything was just kung fu or karate in the mind of a child), the MA craze in the 80's was just starting, and it was Chuck Norris' films that really were a hit.

By the mid eighties I had a Betamax and was able to go back and rent Bruce's movies and watch them. And 1985 brought us the Karate Kid and the wonderful image of the karate sensei, Mr. Miyagi.

Good times indeed!

Daniel

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Actor David Carradine shot to stardom in the early 1970s as the star of the television series Kung Fu (1972-75). He played Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest in exile wandering the American frontier of the late 1800s, attempting to live in cosmic harmony but using his fighting skills to whup the occasional nasty cowboy".
This is the one that did it for me, with a little Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris in the mix. I still get a kick out of watching them when ever they come on. The newer stuff has to much computer enhancement.

OP
SenseiJoeDiamante

SenseiJoeDiamante

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all of you, this is good stuff you all brought me back. Five fingers of death at the Art movie theater, That was my first and not the last, kungfu the series. Yeah, you see I'm getting excited again. But thats it guys, the moments new and old. Living in the moments I found out are one of the best things we can do for ourselves. I'm so glad I was or we were able to enjoy them.
Thanks again...

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find that whenever I feel like I'm in a rut regarding MA. All i need is a quick movie pick me up to motivate me to get back in the swing of things.

Latest Discussions