Movies that are now 20 years old (Jurassic Park..)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
booo

making me think of movies that are now that old makes me think of ME being now that much older!

Major League...
Back to the Future (is actually older?)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember Jurassic Park, I was asked for proof of my age when going to see it, I was 21....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of the list presented, I reckon that I could sit down and watch Jurassic Park and Demolition Man with just as much enjoyment as I did when I first saw them.

Schindler's List was a very good film but I am not sure with the emotional pain in it I could watch it again (only seen it the once). Philadelphia likewise was a great film but not a repeat watcher for me.

I enjoyed Falling Down a lot but with remembering it's 'twist' at the end I am again not sure whether I could watch it again - tho' the scene in the McDonald's is a classic.

If my wife were still here she would pick Adam's Family Values, Mrs. Doubtfire, Cool Runnings and the Nightmare Before Christmas I reckon. Maybe Gilbert Grape too, just for Johnny Depp :lol:.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually it's a bit older but I recently watched Ferris Bullers Day Off and felt really old LOL

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of the list presented, I reckon that I could sit down and watch Jurassic Park and Demolition Man with just as much enjoyment as I did when I first saw them.

Schindler's List was a very good film but I am not sure with the emotional pain in it I could watch it again (only seen it the once). Philadelphia likewise was a great film but not a repeat watcher for me.

I enjoyed Falling Down a lot but with remembering it's 'twist' at the end I am again not sure whether I could watch it again - tho' the scene in the McDonald's is a classic.

If my wife were still here she would pick Adam's Family Values, Mrs. Doubtfire, Cool Runnings and the Nightmare Before Christmas I reckon. Maybe Gilbert Grape too, just for Johnny Depp :lol:.

We just had our youngest watch Mrs. Doubtfire and she loved it. At the time, I didn't realize the movie was 20 years old though.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The year was 1993 which makes me 12 at the time (13 for just Nov and Dec).

JP - Movie of the gods, directed by super-director Speilberg, need I say more.
Sandlot - Fun movie, didnt connect as well with my buds and I since we don't play baseball in Jamaica, but I guess if we imagined cricket it's the same thing. American born friends my age love that movie though.
SL - Speilberg again so it's awsome.
Free Willy - Hated that movie
Ms Doubtfire - Hate Robin Williams, saw it when I heard Brosa was in there.
Cool Runnings - I f-ing hated this movie as well as most off the population of Jamaica. Heres an idea, a movie about a Jamaican bobsled team starring a Canadian and a bunch of black guys from America who are doing one of those accents that for some reason Americans believe sounds Jamaican/Trini/Basian but sounds like you got kicked in the neck by a donkey. Not a single member of the main cast was Jamaican, sounded Jamaican or even carried themselves as such. I love Disney but to this day I cannot sit through that movie because of all the bad island stereotypes.

I would go on, but I'm angry now being reminded of that damn movie.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The ones I liked then, I still like for the same reasons: high production values and/or important story.

In many cases, I find I 'can't go home again' - in that some of my favorites have actually become painful to watch. (Orig. ST, for example) Some are so in-your-face dated either by hair-styles/clothing/cars/music that one has to be in the mood. There are a few, usually period pieces, that I can still enjoy.

'Bladerunner', for example. Originally panned, but 30 years later, the original critics have to eat their words!

http://www.openculture.com/2013/03/..._ebert_and_studio_execs_originally_hated.html

http://www.openculture.com/2013/03/philip_k_dick_previews_blade_runner.html