Movement myth: Knees behind toes

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sometimes depends on the physical limitations of the person doing a particular exercise. In female athletes going through P.T rehab after certain knee surgeries, it can sometimes be used properly - but again, depending on the person, the injury/surgery and the exercise itself.

There are some exercises I do where I’ll usually keep my knees behind my toes - especially if my hips are tired from the previous days workout regime.

Sometimes training is a pain in the ****’s knees.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sometimes depends on the physical limitations of the person doing a particular exercise. In female athletes going through P.T rehab after certain knee surgeries, it can sometimes be used properly - but again, depending on the person, the injury/surgery and the exercise itself.

There are some exercises I do where I’ll usually keep my knees behind my toes - especially if my hips are tired from the previous days workout regime.

Sometimes training is a pain in the ****’s knees.
Very true, good point Buka!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a good article. One thing I remember our football strength & conditioning coach telling me often was knees behind the toes until the thigh is well past parallel, then knees in front (like the guy in the squatting photo). The article does a good job of explaining how flexibility plays a big factor in this.
Great post.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a good article. One thing I remember our football strength & conditioning coach telling me often was knees behind the toes until the thigh is well past parallel, then knees in front (like the guy in the squatting photo). The article does a good job of explaining how flexibility plays a big factor in this.
Great post.

We had a really effective but evil Master of Torture (aka S&C coach) on our team.

One of his devices of torture....
GSCL360-2.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had a really effective but evil Master of Torture (aka S&C coach) on our team.

One of his devices of torture....
GSCL360-2.jpg

Coach Dennis Fussell was a free weight proponent. "If you are not balancing the weight, you are not lifting the weight." I cannot remember how many times I heard him say that.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coach Dennis Fussell was a free weight proponent. "If you are not balancing the weight, you are not lifting the weight." I cannot remember how many times I heard him say that.

Ours believed the same...except for that one torture device.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends how youre moving your feet. Any sport where you're reaching, knees should ne behind toes. Pay attention to fencing olympians vs amateurs...youll see the amateurs with the feet in front at various points during bouts. With national team members you'll almost never see that except for very specific circumstances where it's part of a trick for a point.