Mouthguards

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't wear one.

I should, for all the reasons mentioned are good ones, but I don't. I'm stupid that way sometimes and since it's my school I'm allowed to be. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:
I don't wear one.

I should, for all the reasons mentioned are good ones, but I don't. I'm stupid that way sometimes and since it's my school I'm allowed to be. :)

But do you make others wear them for their own safety, those you teach? :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned my lesson about cheap ones vs. Spendy ones. I had a mouth piece that I bought at a sporting goods store (a really cheap one). I fought at a tournament & got kicked in the mouth. It moved my (formerly straight) orthodontically straightened teeth! I had to do a retainer again for a year or two.

My dentist made me one & I love it! Shock Dr., Wissps & other good ones have come out since then. (Shock Dr. even has em for folks who wear braces, now!) Worth the money for sure.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to use them, could hardly breathe. Now we use the Century cage headgear so no mouthgards needed! Much better, although they do take some getting used to. TW

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
boil and bite. Not so sure a breathing hole is so great. I kind of believe you should force yourself when rolling or sparring to breathe through your nose and control it a little so you're not panting like a dog and lose all your pressure.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i do the boil and bite kind, but sense i got my wisdom teeth out i have had a really bad gag reflex while wearing it.... any suggestions on how to fix this... iv already trimmed it back as far as i can and still have it cover my teeth

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never used to wear one, and then I began to and I hated it. It affected the way I breathed, distracted me, and I would constantly forget it. Not to mention the difficulty in talking!

So I gave up on it, and never use them now. I know I should, but thats the way it goes.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
I never used to wear one, and then I began to and I hated it. It affected the way I breathed, distracted me, and I would constantly forget it. Not to mention the difficulty in talking!

So I gave up on it, and never use them now. I know I should, but thats the way it goes.

I find them so uncomfortable, and they make me gag, if i could find one that didnt, i would use it definately

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The discomfort & distraction a mouth can be is very frustrating. I started wearing mine while shadowboxing. Then later, thoughout my whole boxing workout to get used to it. Its really the best way that I've found to get used to that feeling in your mouth.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, So many of you have great comments here. The use of mouth guards are here to stay.

Reason is they do protect you mouth/jaw. It is not a solution for every hit to the face. Like seat belts/air bags...they do work..not for every crash.

Many tournment have requirments for safety reasons/insurance companies too. Expect this and just follow the rules.

Today there is alot more to choose from (mouth guards). Colors too!

"let me see" I take the green one to match my teeth. Extra large..cause I talk to much... Will need more than one...people keep hitting me there...smashing them. (glass kind is not good-my jaws). ...Aloha

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just read this recent article on mouthguards and thought I would pop this back up for the newer members to give their two cents in.

So the original question was:

Do you use a mouth guard when sparring, why or why not? and if you do what type do you use? I know there is a laminate type that your dentist can make, are they any good.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just read this recent article on mouthguards and thought I would pop this back up for the newer members to give their two cents in.

So the original question was:

Do you use a mouth guard when sparring, why or why not? and if you do what type do you use? I know there is a laminate type that your dentist can make, are they any good.

Yes. My instructor skipped wearing his one night, got kicked in the jaw, and broke the points off of all of his molars. He's been rather picky about mouthguards ever since (about 18 years ago). In addition, the senior student in his class when I was a color belt is a dentist - he's also rather picky about mouthguards... especially as he's the one who did the repair work on our instructor!

I use the boil-and-bite type - generally, my students can use anything that is approved by the football or boxing associations, or custom-made ones from their dentists or orthodontists (several of my younger students have braces). I keep mine in a plastic box designed for the purpose, and every so often I soak it in mint Listerine - both as a sanitation measure and because the mint Listerine tastes sooo much better than the regular kind!

I know nothing about the laminate ones - but I may ask my dentist (the same one mentioned above) the next time I see him.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how do you get rid of the gag reflex triggerd by them? i never used to have this problem tilll i had my wisdom teeth out.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how do you get rid of the gag reflex triggerd by them? i never used to have this problem tilll i had my wisdom teeth out.

I cut the back end off - about 1/8-1/4 inch on each end - then it doesn't trigger the reflex.

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wear a Everlast boil and bite. I broke a front tooth in January( hit the back of a chair, not during karate) and had to have a PAINFUL root canal to fix it. I'm also and EMT-B and know the damage a good blow to the jaw can do. Thus, I always wear and recommend either a mouth guard or shield on the headgear. It's just not worth the risk. You can pay for the mouthguard or the dental bills. The mouthguard is a much better deal in my opinion!