Mouthguards

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I recommend (and use) a mouthguard when sparring.

The dojang carries the "boil and bite" variety but Terry, I may personally take your recommendation about the Shock Doctor. I am getting too old to not opt for the better protection.

Along the same lines, how do folks deal with those students who have a gag reflex to using a mouthguard?

Miles

I am one of those students. My Boil and bite mouthguard had to be cut back to stop that from happening to me. The other option is to get your dentist to make a custom fit one. I have a bite guard that I wear at night because I gring my teeth. It never seems to make me gag.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Mouthguards don't just protect your teeth, they help lock your jaw in place.

Excellent point.

Still, they drive me crazy, and I never wear one unless I'm visiting an instructor who insists on it.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is the one I use
pr-mo-06.jpg
The Brain Pad
I just wish I could find one that would give my jaw some side to side support.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maltair said:
Here is the one I use
The Brain Pad

Where do you find those "brain pads"? I have heard of them, but have not seen them at any of our local sports stores.

- Ceicei

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Lisa I have found that the Shock Doctor mouth pieces work best for me. They have a gaurentee with them if while wearing them your teeth get cracked or damage they will help pay for the repairs what a great deal.
Terry

I've heard may good things about these mouth pieces. A bit more expensive than the regular mouth piece, but its a good investment.

As for what I wear...I'm in the group that wears the boil and bite.

Mike

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, are Arnisador and I the only ones who don't wear one regularly? Other than tournaments (where it's mandatory) I've never worn one in class.

In two decades I've never been knocked out or had a broken tooth. I've had a busted lip a few times but I always thought that was part of the fun. Maybe I've just been lucky.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't wear one in class. The only students that could reach my face know better. My stepdaughter, braced as she is, always wears one. Three of four of has have them and 2 of those three are ShockDoctor brand. Mine is a $2 boil and bite that fit's so well, I have to put some effort into removing it.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I don't wear one in class. The only students that could reach my face know better. My stepdaughter, braced as she is, always wears one. Three of four of has have them and 2 of those three are ShockDoctor brand. Mine is a $2 boil and bite that fit's so well, I have to put some effort into removing it.

Egg I think you are lucky that you can get it to fit so well. I could never get the cheap ones to fit that well. I have always had to cut them back. I started buying the Junior size and it fit better on me, small jaw I guess.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Egg I think you are lucky that you can get it to fit so well. I could never get the cheap ones to fit that well.

I was honestly surprised, too. I followed the directions explicitly, particularly where I sucked the air out. My wife almost wet herself laughing because, after I fit it, I didn't think it was going to come out and I sorta started to panic :)

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I use them whenever sparring. Why risk those pearly whites?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I use one when in a tournament for grappling, but not usually in class. In tournament the intensity is so much higher and that is the only time I've ever been knocked in the mouth. Of course when we train MMA I wear one all of the time.

My husband and kids use the boil and bite shock doctor's - they fit well and for the kids with their changing teeth it is cost effective. For myself I have always had my dentist make mine...vanity mostly.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i dont normaly wear one, i always seem to lose it, i buy the boil and bite ones too cheaper seeing as i never can keep track of it.

sandan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have used a few different types of mouthguards over the years, but came back to the boil and bite single for personal reasons. The single forces you to bite down on the piece to make sure your jaw is locked into place. Secondly, I have grown accustomed to talking with the single more clearly while I am trying to teach students. The solid one piece was kinda awkward and I had trouble maintaining my breathing. The flexible double was great when I had braces, but the rubbery taste got old and it was difficult to place/remove if you were trying to speak. Plus when I had the flexible double I was using either thicker boxing gloves or Century C-Gear that covered all my fingers and it was a pain in the butt. There are some other guards out there that do help reduce the risk of concussion, but I haven't tried those yet but have heard good things about them.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Boil and bite. I did spend a few bucks on mine to get a better overall shape. It's mandatory for sparring and I sometimes wear it when I dummy if my part has a chin shot or if I'm going to get thrown.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Better late than never...

Everyone has mentioned cracked teeth, and biting your lips but the single most important thing a mouth guard does is reduce the severity of a concussion...multiple studies have shown that wearing a mouth guard will decrease the severity of symptoms and the length of time required before return to play...WEAR A MOUTH GUARD!!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really like the WISPS jaw joint protector. It's a double with a reinforced breathing hole. Actually helps you get in more air. People like rodeo bullriders use this type.

Jeff

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shock Doctor is the way to go.... I've used a couple of the "generic" boil and bite type - Shock Doctor is by FAR the best fit I've gotten from a mouth piece, I'm using the "Gel Max" and have had no breathing issues with it. They make 5 differnet types, one is for folks with braces.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you train contact Its good to wear a mouth peace If just light or point its not really a must. But could be considered safe any way. I have lost a few teeth over the years not wearing a mouth peace. But still had fun banging Just should have took the time to put that mouth peace to use.

Latest Discussions