Most effective martial art for survival and self preservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANGRYMAN13

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

My screen name here is Angryman. Actually, more like curious man. I want to know which martial art system is the most effective for survival and self-preservation in the face of danger and overwhelming odds.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

My screen name here is Angryman. Actually, more like curious man. I want to know which martial art system is the most effective for survival and self-preservation in the face of danger and overwhelming odds.
The one that you practice with dedication.

OP
A

ANGRYMAN13

White Belt
Reaction score
You mean there is no specific system? Any one of them can help you?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mean there is no specific system? Any one of them can help you?
You need to develop a set of tools in your toolbox. The tool can come from any MA system. So, you need to ask yourself the following question.

Which tool do I want to bring into my toolbox first?

It's like to find yourself a girlfriend. Do I want my girlfriend to be

- pretty?
- rich?
- good in cooking?
- love me crazy?

Can I find a single girl that has all those qualities?

Last edited:

Prince_Alarming

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly? Weight training. If you're enormous and strong, that fact alone will take care of most people you're likely to run into. Not looking to start a fight, just saying. I mean, I'm a hobbyist and I love doing karate but all else being equal the fittest person will usually win the fight.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly? Weight training. If you're enormous and strong, that fact alone will take care of most people you're likely to run into. Not looking to start a fight, just saying. I mean, I'm a hobbyist and I love doing karate but all else being equal the fittest person will usually win the fight.
I disagree, but I’m also a supporter of fitness training.

Prince_Alarming

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's room for argument I suppose, given that a lot of the rugby players I knew as a kid were awful fighters, and obviously your no.1 weapon is your brain. All else is rarely equal in real life, I suppose.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also yes. You can keep promoting what you prefer over other systems; still doesn’t make your preference more effective.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best easiest to use example is this guy called Rokus. Who spent 20 years in a martial arts. And couldn't fight. Then spent 1 year in a different martial arts and could sort of fight.

This has so been my personal experience running people though 12 week programs that put noobs in the ring as a personal development tool.

This is why the military is moving towards the same methodology with their combatives program and Australia's KEF system. And why the police have made huge progress with their adopt a cop system for bjj.

It is these evidence based systems that will just work better for you in real practical situations than martial art logic and excuses.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also yes. You can keep promoting what you prefer over other systems; still doesn’t make your preference more effective.
Without a system of training the most naturally talented or athletic guy will do the best.

So if with a system of training the most talented or athletic guy still wins.

What exactly is the training achieving

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best easiest to use example is this guy called Rokus. Who spent 20 years in a martial arts. And couldn't fight. Then spent 1 year in a different martial arts and could sort of fight.

This has so been my personal experience running people though 12 week programs that put noobs in the ring as a personal development tool.

This is why the military is moving towards the same methodology with their combatives program and Australia's KEF system. And why the police have made huge progress with their adopt a cop system for bjj.

It is these evidence based systems that will just work better for you in real practical situations than martial art logic and excuses.
Wrong. The military moved that way because BJJ was popular and it helped attract recruits. It only replaced rifle bayonet training since that was used for aggression training. SOCOM has abandoned this method because we found that it was counterproductive in combat. They have since moved back to a contract service based system. The general purpose forces are reviewing several proposals, but will take much longer to move away from the current program.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a system of training the most naturally talented or athletic guy will do the best.

So if with a system of training the most talented or athletic guy still wins.

What exactly is the training achieving
Absolutely not true.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrong. The military moved that way because BJJ was popular and it helped attract recruits. It only replaced rifle bayonet training since that was used for aggression training. SOCOM has abandoned this method because we found that it was counterproductive in combat. They have since moved back to a contract service based system. The general purpose forces are reviewing several proposals, but will take much longer to move away from the current program.
Do you have evidence of that?

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have evidence of that?
Google is your friend. There are several articles that are easy to find. None of which will go into detail as they are FOUO programs. This is the same method that we used to contract the Gracies to come train us in 1999.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Google is your friend. There are several articles that are easy to find. None of which will go into detail as they are FOUO programs. This is the same method that we used to contract the Gracies to come train us in 1999.
I did google. And it confirmed my statement. And disproved yours.

Sorry

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did google. And it confirmed my statement. And disproved yours.

Sorry
And you are a liar as well. The first article that appears talks about the newer program. Troll elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions