What is the Most Difficult Belt Rank?

• WHITE

• Middle GUP Ranks

• Upper GUP Ranks

• BLACK

Results are only viewable after voting.
H

headhunter

I would most definantly have to say that red belt is the hardest belt rank that I ever experienced. My TKD instructor's viewpoint was you are almost a black belt so this is when I push you hardest and try to get you to quit and those who persvere will test. Basically it involved alot of yelling, never doing a thing right and of course your daily pushups, I was constantly doing pushups. My vote goes to red belt.
-- headhunter

J

Jim Tindell

Being a high belt (red and brown) wasn't difficult, just the instructors expected more from you. To get to the high levels, you have to be determined... so the expectations should be easy to meet, and even exceed.

Black Belt has a lot more responsibilities tacked onto just being a student. It's not quite "starting over" like somebody else mentioned, but your training gets kicked up a notch. It's more difficult for me, just because of the added responsibilities of being a student AND a teacher at the same time.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree about the red belt rank. My instructor basically gets more strict and a lot tougher on you. The BB's don't go easy on you anymore either (which is kinda fun sparring :D ) So far in TKD (for me anyways), I say Red belt is the toughest.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The next one has always been the most difficult, as well as rewarding, for me. We were also taught an analogy that student ranks were like elementary school, 1st Dän high school, and the rest like college-undergrad, graduate and post graduate. By the time you get to your next destination, what lies before makes what lies behind appear easy in comparison. :viking1:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we are only talking about TKD I would say red belt so far. If it is open to other styles I will say for Sho-dan. The test for Sho-dan in my school was by far the most physically and mentally demanding test I have ever been through. There is so much pressure placed on prospective black belts that it makes a lump of coal into a diamond. If you can get through the test for Sho-dan then you have it made. IMHO, of course.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The same with my dojang. My honey just went through the first part of the test (the physical test .... eight hours of hel......). The actual test is the easy part. That's not till April, though.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Sho-dan test is conducted over a 6 month period with the whole thing coming to a climax that last for two weeks worth of classes. The final test is the use of the "fifty-man fight". This is a cut down version of Mas Oyama's 100 man fight. A new fighter is rotated in after roughly one minute. The test actually lasts for one hour and has proven to be quite brutal. Since 1975 my instructor has promoted only 24 Black Belts. He takes great pride in his Black Belt student's fighting ability.

The only good thing I will say about the whole experience is that I am glad I do not have to go through it again.

K

kwon 17

I believe the most difficult ranks are red belt with black stripe and blackbelt.Red belt with bs is difficult because you have to perform so many difficult techniques.At my dojang you have to be at a certain level to progress to your 1st dan.Blackbelt is a difficult because you are expected to perform at a certain level at all times since lower ranks are looking at you as someone who understands basic techniques associated with color belts.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow, you do have a point there. I see people at our dojang alone that get around blue belt, and the lose interest and quit. That's a shame when they have talent, too. At our sister school, I guess red belt (2nd and 1st gup) scares them, because they quit at that level there (that school is a lot smaller than ours, though).

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe for me was my go-dan or 5th dan as there was so much responsibility and pressure put on me that I wasn't expecting. Let alone the criteria which was very rigorous with the mental and physical strain. As always it all depends on the instructor and what they are determined to recieve from you. I think I am allot easier to those going for that rank tho' they think I am too hard, as Professopr Chow was to me for that rank. After responding to all the tests...I felt indeed elated that I had accomplished what very few had done. Since that time 6th to 10th has not been quite that hard tho' sometimes I feel acheiving a 10th dan has been a tough go but I know that I am moving forward and helping others do the same.
Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for your input.

I enjoy training in the MAs so much. Taekwondo is my art now for life. It's because I've earned my beginning stripes with this art, and it's my foundation. But, I'm gonna dabble in the other MA disciplines that's for sure, but, I'll always be a Taekwondoist.

And, yes, for us TKD practitioners, it is all about our Sabumnim...R

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
Our Sho-dan test is conducted over a 6 month period with the whole thing coming to a climax that last for two weeks worth of classes. The final test is the use of the "fifty-man fight". This is a cut down version of Mas Oyama's 100 man fight. A new fighter is rotated in after roughly one minute. The test actually lasts for one hour and has proven to be quite brutal. Since 1975 my instructor has promoted only 24 Black Belts. He takes great pride in his Black Belt student's fighting ability.

The only good thing I will say about the whole experience is that I am glad I do not have to go through it again.

Jeepers ! How does the test for 2nd dan looks ?

A

ave_turuta

Since I have not gone beyond green belt, I cannot comment much. I do think, though, that all belt levels have their intrinsic difficulty: all involve learning new things that need to be organized in your little brain (well at least my little brain) somehow, then put into action. The breaks get more difficult as you advance, but so does your technique, so... I'm not sure. I think if you train hard and you are constant in your endeavor, then you're fine. But for me, being a white belt was difficult because you feel very clumsy and know so little, it's hard not to be impatient and quit. As I have advanced in the ranks, I enjoy the classes so much more because now I am at a stage when I actually begin to understand why I do things the way I do and I can learn more from my mistakes, pay attention to all the little details, etc. So even though I admit my level is of course more difficult technique-wise than the previous ones, it is also more enjoyable. It's funny because recently a new white belt joined the class and I actually caught myself thinking "oh wow, so this is how i did things before!" and seeing him in action made me realize (a) how much I've advanced since i started; and (b) how much I still need to work on. Oh! and definately I get kicked a lot harder in our sparring (now the BBs don't restrain themselves, it's like "she can take it!"). But it's all cool.

smileJap.gif

A.T.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Jeepers ! How does the test for 2nd dan looks ?
Not near as bad as 1st Dan. His thought is that the real time to start the learning process is a Sho-dan. He does not want just anybody to start that process. It is reserved for those that have the metal to stick it out. I do stress that it ise very brutal, almost sadistic. During my test my nose was broken, again, and others received broken bones as well. My own father had his cheek bones broken by an insdie roundhouse/twist kick. It is not for the faint of heart.:asian:

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd definitely say it'd have to be white, that's where the student is getting accoustomed to learning new techniques, and actually getting used to the concept of fighting and defending. For some, it's really hard at first. Now, I'm not saying the middle and upper ranks are a walk in the park either ;) Each, takes as much practice as the other I think.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a hard time at 4th Dan, it was a transition period for me from student black belt to instructor. It's one thing to be told what to do, it's another to be telling others.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kwon 17 said:
I believe the most difficult ranks are red belt with black stripe and blackbelt ......

I couldn't agree more. I just got my 1st gup (red with black stripe), and the training is more intense. I'm so close to BB, and I am freaking out LOL. But I can handle it ;)

Since I posted in this tread last, I started in Jujitsu. I'm a white belt again. It's refreshing, but akward at the same time. It's a totally different art than TKD. I feel like such a noob LOL. I feel like I did when I first started MA. I didn't know anything, and my body is akward with most of the moves, except for the breakfalls.

So, my two current ranks (so far) are the hardest for me.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I couldn't agree more. I just got my 1st gup (red with black stripe), and the training is more intense. I'm so close to BB, and I am freaking out LOL. But I can handle it ;)

Since I posted in this tread last, I started in Jujitsu. I'm a white belt again. It's refreshing, but akward at the same time. It's a totally different art than TKD. I feel like such a noob LOL. I feel like I did when I first started MA. I didn't know anything, and my body is akward with most of the moves, except for the breakfalls.

So, my two current ranks (so far) are the hardest for me.

Good for you Laurie!

I also push 1st and 2nd gueps hard-these are the ranks where a lot of folks are "weeded out." The training is intense and the responsibility for these folks to look like black belts is a lot of pressure.

As far as what rank has the hardest time learning versus what rank is the hardest to achieve, I think these are not necessarily the same. I think starting in a new art is where it is difficult and awkward due to learning new material. But, I think that training for one's next rank should be more difficult-physically until 4th dan and mentally from there on up.

Miles

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Good for you Laurie!

I also push 1st and 2nd gueps hard-these are the ranks where a lot of folks are "weeded out." The training is intense and the responsibility for these folks to look like black belts is a lot of pressure.

As far as what rank has the hardest time learning versus what rank is the hardest to achieve, I think these are not necessarily the same. I think starting in a new art is where it is difficult and awkward due to learning new material. But, I think that training for one's next rank should be more difficult-physically until 4th dan and mentally from there on up.

Miles

You got that, the physical is fun - and chalenging, as it should be. The mental training, learning to teach and now learning the business, was and is an entirely new dragon.

Latest Discussions