Most comfortable firearm/holster for conceal carry.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you look at the mechanics of the draw from the appendix you're actually pushing the barrel away from your body as you draw. Now look at the mechanics of how most people holster at the 3-5 o'clock position they lead with the barrel pointing into the body

The gun is pointed at some pretty vital areas until it clears the holster whereas 5 o'clock is pointed at less vital areas.

So there is a little more danger if a mistake is made.

And holstering at the 5 o'clock position with kydex IWB is vertical...it doesn't start with the barrel pointing into the body.

Carry how you want....its just why I don't prefer it.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We shall have to agree to disagree on what minimizing is.
Do we?
Accidental discharges happen.
We should try to minimize the chances of that happening through training and equipment.
If an AD happens, we should try to minimize the damage to ourselves.
What part of that do we disagree on?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It all boils down to personal preference and comfort. While sitting or standing just behind my right hip suits me just fine. The most important thing is to clear and get on target with the least effort.....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do we?
Accidental discharges happen.
We should try to minimize the chances of that happening through training and equipment.
If an AD happens, we should try to minimize the damage to ourselves.
What part of that do we disagree on?
The part where you claim apendix carry is inherently more dangerous then other positions.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The gun is pointed at some pretty vital areas until it clears the holster whereas 5 o'clock is pointed at less vital areas.

So there is a little more danger if a mistake is made.

And holstering at the 5 o'clock position with kydex IWB is vertical...it doesn't start with the barrel pointing into the body.

Carry how you want....its just why I don't prefer it.
You ever watch people holster at the 4 of 5 o'clock? Almost all of them use the muzzle to "feel around" for the holster opening. I was a range instructor for my PD. Whenever we did off duty carry guns and holsters it was rather frightening.
The Kydex IWB also isnt vertical unless you stand perfectly stright with your legs together

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You ever watch people holster at the 4 of 5 o'clock? Almost all of them use the muzzle to "feel around" for the holster opening. I was a range instructor for my PD. Whenever we did off duty carry guns and holsters it was rather frightening.
The Kydex IWB also isnt vertical unless you stand perfectly stright with your legs together

Meh....if you are used to the iwb holster you shouldn't have to feel around for it, that just shows they are using a holster they are not really familiar with.

I still feel way more comfortable having a gun pointing down the back of my leg as opposed to at my junk and/or femoral artery.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate guns, but I've been carrying for so long I can't even remember. Off duty, especially on airplanes, I carry in my pocket. Works for me. Back east, depending on the weather, I switch it up.

I have small hands so I carry small firearms. Again, works for me.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
@ballen0351

Let me clarify.....I don't have a problem with people carrying in the appendix position....its just not for me. We still teach it though and probably half the guys I have worked with use that position.

I do think it has a little more danger because of the vitals in that area. There is lesser room for error with that gun in that position.

It just makes me uncomfortable for that reason.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate guns, but I've been carrying for so long I can't even remember. Off duty, especially on airplanes, I carry in my pocket. Works for me. Back east, depending on the weather, I switch it up.

I have small hands so I carry small firearms. Again, works for me.

I love flying armed especially with Southwestern. Don't have to deal with the lines going through TSA and I get 1st pick of seating.

I'm not ashamed.....I take full advantage of it. Lol.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love flying armed especially with Southwestern. Don't have to deal with the lines going through TSA and I get 1st pick of seating.

I'm not ashamed.....I take full advantage of it. Lol.
Yeah, me too!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On range eyes scanning or on target, holstering draw arms back to chest and use baby finger to make contact with vest and trace back to holster. Once finger hits holster then left and re-holster. Off duty carry baby finger and index finger are your eyes same deaL..... By using index finger it is off the trigger..... as it should be. There are no standards other then don't look at your holster.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are no standards other then don't look at your holster.
Many instructors are now teaching "Look the gun into the holster," especially for concealed carry.

This change is for two reasons. First, if there is still enough potential threat that you can't afford to take your eyes off of your environment, then you shouldn't be putting your gun away in in the first place. Second, reholstering is a really common place for "accidents" to happen, including things like clothing getting in the way, fouling the reholster, or even getting into the trigger. These issues can easily be prevented by watching your gun into the holster.

Here's a Mas Ayoob article:

NRA:

A Girl And A Gun:

I'm not saying that there aren't still a lot of people teaching DON'T look your gun into the holster, but I am saying that this isn't an exclusive standard any more and there has been a paradigm shift.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many instructors are now teaching "Look the gun into the holster," especially for concealed carry.

This change is for two reasons. First, if there is still enough potential threat that you can't afford to take your eyes off of your environment, then you shouldn't be putting your gun away in in the first place. Second, reholstering is a really common place for "accidents" to happen, including things like clothing getting in the way, fouling the reholster, or even getting into the trigger. These issues can easily be prevented by watching your gun into the holster.

Here's a Mas Ayoob article:

NRA:

A Girl And A Gun:

I'm not saying that there aren't still a lot of people teaching DON'T look your gun into the holster, but I am saying that this isn't an exclusive standard any more and there has been a paradigm shift.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Great articles, Kirt thanks... Scanning for threats before holstering "is" key.....

Last edited:
OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the discourse and learning a great deal. I knew some would favor appendix carry and others wouldn't that seems to be a debate whenever this topic is raised and that is okay. The gun belt advice will be headed, I got paid today and I plan to order one.

I think the way I carry at the range is slightly different than out in the world. I understand the logic of train at the range with what you have in the world but the situation is different. At the range I may draw and re-holster several times. In the world I go around holstered all the time and (God forbid) if I do have to draw it will only be once.

I've seen those appendix carry video's before. I'm still not comfortable with it.

I am used to open carry on my right hip when I was a cop. Open carry is allowed in my state but... I think concealing is far more practical. I was taught the first rule of gun safety is to never point it anything you don't want to shoot. This is why I just can't bring myself to appendix carry..

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
+1 on the Nexbelt. I never thought I could be so impressed with something as mundane as a belt design. It takes a little getting used to, but wow! I doubt I will ever buy another brand of belt.
Same I use Nextbelt and Hanks leather belts as my go-to depending on what Im wearing.

Latest Discussions