More violent acts in your town?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
I am happy with the discussion and the topics brought up are great, but have any of you noticed a dramatic increase in about the last year? We have and it has been traced back to a group that followed a particular rapper. His cronies have been found to be at the root of our sudden rise in violence. I know that there will always be violent crime and it may increase, but has it been drastic?
Who?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
And you may have heard about the bom attacks in London. An innocent man was shot 5 times by police thinking he was a suicide bomber. And I think more of this will be happening. There was a guy running from a tube train and passengers tried to stop him but he got free. I'm thinking if that had been me trying to stop a would be bomber, how woudl i be able to stop him so he could not get free. The first thing that comes to mind is take his legs out, break them if I have to so he could not get away.
I believe there is a thread on this!
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25700

Take his legs out? That not really going to stop him detonating a bomb is it? If he realises that his legs have been taken out and he cant run then he would set if off then and there!

Anyway back to topic,

Isn't crime just like one big cycle? It goes up and down depending on the year, type of population, demographic and social changes etc etc, if an area becomes a big problem, its tackled, maybe brought to the ground, left alone then rises, then tackled etc etc!!

Regards

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "monster in the corner" when it comes to crime rate studies is the reporting rate. Some criminologists believe that the "crime rate" probably hasnt changed much from as far back as 1900 or earlier. What has changed is the rate of reporting. There is even some studies that show that more police=more crime. Thats because the more police there are the more likely they are to observe crime or have crime reported to them increasing the rate. The other factor is the publics perception of crime. A good book is "Fear Less" by Gavin DeBecker, like that study I posted upthread. Its the perception of crime via media hype that causes more consternation than the actual risk. As always, the BIGGEST chunk of crime is from doing wrong things, with wrong people and being in wrong places than it is being a random innocent victim.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is also how terrorism works. The chances of any one of us being killed or even involved in a terrorist attack are statisticaly miniscule, but because of all the attention it gets everybody thinks they could be a victim at any second. Awareness, preparation and prevention ARE necessary. Needless fear is not.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
aveturuta, what i mean is what tgrace put in his 5th post on the second page. and if that is wrong blame my ninth grade social studies teacher (mr. foster). he is the idiot that told me that. but what ever. i suppose, now that i think about it, it is probly both. and what did i repeat a million times???

sweet Brighit bless your blade

John