More violent acts in your town?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering if everyone seems to be having more violent crimes in their hometowns? I live just to the south of Kansas City and it seems to me that there is a greater number of violent crimes from day to day. It used to be(in the last year) that you could have maybe one or two violent crimes on the T.V., but recently there has been a major increase. Just this week there was a guy who shot up the house because pne of the kids that lives there supposedly stole some bicycle parts from him. The D.A. said it was the most bullets shot into a house from an individual in the city's history. I knwo that soem cities are having to deal with larger things like terrorists, but what about the "Domestic Terrorists" that live down the street form you.

In my little town not a day goes by that somebody is not getting shot, stabbed, or beaten. This is common in some towns, but we don't have 10 thousand people in ours.

Is anybody else seeing this or is it just me?

A

ave_turuta

searcher said:
I was just wondering if everyone seems to be having more violent crimes in their hometowns? I live just to the south of Kansas City and it seems to me that there is a greater number of violent crimes from day to day. It used to be(in the last year) that you could have maybe one or two violent crimes on the T.V., but recently there has been a major increase. Just this week there was a guy who shot up the house because pne of the kids that lives there supposedly stole some bicycle parts from him. The D.A. said it was the most bullets shot into a house from an individual in the city's history. I knwo that soem cities are having to deal with larger things like terrorists, but what about the "Domestic Terrorists" that live down the street form you.

In my little town not a day goes by that somebody is not getting shot, stabbed, or beaten. This is common in some towns, but we don't have 10 thousand people in ours.

Is anybody else seeing this or is it just me?
I have one word: overpopulation.

Let's keep cramming more and more folks in our towns and cities, and we will get all the nasty things that come with it (more crime, more poverty, less resources, more, more, more... etc.) I wish politicians in this country would have the guts to address the looming crisis that overpopulation is bringing about (but of course, they don't have to race with 200 other folks to rent overpriced and crappy apartments in shady and overcrowded urban areas).

My neighborhood has definately experienced dramatic changes in the past 15 years: take a look at population statistics and crime at a given year, then compare it to what it was 15 or 20 years ago, et voila! You have your answer.

Respectfully,
A.T.

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you dig deep you will see that violent crime goes up and down like a line on a line graph. You will have a lot of it one year, it goes down while other types of crime rise and then goes back up. I hope I made some sense here.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
I have one word: overpopulation.

Let's keep cramming more and more folks in our towns and cities, and we will get all the nasty things that come with it (more crime, more poverty, less resources, more, more, more... etc.) I wish politicians in this country would have the guts to address the looming crisis that overpopulation is bringing about (but of course, they don't have to race with 200 other folks to rent overpriced and crappy apartments in shady and overcrowded urban areas).

My neighborhood has definately experienced dramatic changes in the past 15 years: take a look at population statistics and crime at a given year, then compare it to what it was 15 or 20 years ago, et voila! You have your answer.

Respectfully,
A.T.
More than population, demographics are responsible for crime rates. A higher population of young males will result in an inflated crime rate (including violent crime) as this group is the prime perpetrators. Since the population in this country is getting young (in the 1990's it was getting older), we can expect to see a rise in the crime rate in the next few years.

A

ave_turuta

sgtmac_46 said:
More than population, demographics are responsible for crime rates. A higher population of young males will result in an inflated crime rate (including violent crime) as this group is the prime perpetrators. Since the population in this country is getting young (in the 1990's it was getting older), we can expect to see a rise in the crime rate in the next few years.
I wholeheartedly agree. Yet, both aspects are important: somehow, people don´t seem to think that lack of resources could ever be an issue in this country. Well, that might have been the case when we had a stable population growth: not anymore. Add to that the whopping numbers in population increase brought about by uncontrolled migratory movements, and you have set the stage for increased conflict of a violent nature almost everywhere. I live in a poor neighborhood: official statistics are not even real, since the majority of my neighbors (poor Hispanic young males, not counted in the census) are not included. This is the reality of most American cities today, but as long as the blinded self-appointed "middle class" keeps migrating to the burbs (even if they have to commute for two gazillion hours) and stay away from trouble areas, it seems like nobody is willing to talk about the problem. I've lived in two problematic neighborhoods: in my last apartment complex, where only 1 bedroom apartments were rented, overcrowding was the rule (there were 8 people 2 levels below us, 6 people downstairs of whom at least two were habitual drug addicts, etc. etc., this in apartments designed for 1 or 2 inhabitants - landlords don't enforce the code, of course, because they just care about the money and pumping up the rents: I pay $825 for a crappy 1 bedroom apt. of 600 square feet) Of course there is going to be increased crime: it happens when people are put in unsafe, increasingly hostile, unwelcoming environments where none of their basic needs are met. Luckily, I am getting the hell out of here in three weeks, but let me tell you that as a woman of 5feet3 and 109 lbs, I don't feel safe walking around my neighborhood at all.

A

ave_turuta

RichK said:
If you dig deep you will see that violent crime goes up and down like a line on a line graph. You will have a lot of it one year, it goes down while other types of crime rise and then goes back up. I hope I made some sense here.
Hello Richk!

Actually, that is not exactly accurate. While there may be relative decreases/increases for specific crimes, the truth is that our streets are much unsafer today than they were before, and I am not just speaking about Southeast DC, but your regular neighborhood. Couple the shifts in demographics already mentioned (ever-increasing population plus a larger percentage of young, disenfranchised males) with a noticeable increase in inequality (income levels, relative deprivation, and other sociological indicators) and you have set the stage for very dangerous environments.

Peace,
A.T.
smileJap.gif

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
THe potential for violent crime exist everywhere. Let me just tell you about few incidents that have happened over here in England. FIrstly in my HOme town a guy in his early 20s was attacked by a gang whilewalking to his house at about 2 am! In Liverpool a Black teenager was set upon by a gang with an axe and this was purely racially motivated. In other areas local to me curfews and ASBOs are being imposed on youngsters who commit vandalism and violence. There is also this new sick phenomen of "happy slapping" Youngsters actually go round beating other kids and adults up for laughs and film it at the same time.

And you may have heard about the bom attacks in London. An innocent man was shot 5 times by police thinking he was a suicide bomber. And I think more of this will be happening. There was a guy running from a tube train and passengers tried to stop him but he got free. I'm thinking if that had been me trying to stop a would be bomber, how woudl i be able to stop him so he could not get free. The first thing that comes to mind is take his legs out, break them if I have to so he could not get away.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Our laws and justice systems do not work. Repeat offenders out of prison or just caught people out on bail so fast are one of the causes for more violent acts.

Most of the offenders are drug related. I remember in the 70's they say the drugs was the cause and we will fight it. Today same problems but different drugs (Ice).

We are one of the only countries where bad guys are better off in prison, and get release so easy. Look how many times most of these guys have been in and out of prison! There have more rights than us?

Cost of keeping people in prison is raising (today in Hawaii cost $32,000 per year per prisoner.)

Hawaii needs more money for schools, health and welfare of it's good people, but the taxes are going to bad guys who gets health and there welfare free from the tax payers. (while in prison)

Violents acts will continune untill we can change the laws to be more effected and jail time does mean something.

How many of us must suffer because people believe we need to treat these bad people around (live).

One day criminals will need to be put alway for life. (death asap) FBI files shows over 72 percent of crimes comes from repeat offenders.

Does crime pay? Look around and you will see how many of these people are all around you?

A close friend who was a police officer, We were shopping in a local Wal-mart, as we were walking around in the store he point out all the guys who were arrest or had commited some kind of kind here in Hawaii. I was surprise because it seems like it was 1 out every 3 peope we saw that day shopping. ...................stay good...........Aloha

A

ave_turuta

still learning said:
Hello, Our laws and justice systems do not work. Repeat offenders out of prison or just caught people out on bail so fast are one of the causes for more violent acts.

Most of the offenders are drug related. I remember in the 70's they say the drugs was the cause and we will fight it. Today same problems but different drugs (Ice).

We are one of the only countries where bad guys are better off in prison, and get release so easy. Look how many times most of these guys have been in and out of prison! There have more rights than us?

Cost of keeping people in prison is raising (today in Hawaii cost $32,000 per year per prisoner.)

Hawaii needs more money for schools, health and welfare of it's good people, but the taxes are going to bad guys who gets health and there welfare free from the tax payers. (while in prison)

Violents acts will continune untill we can change the laws to be more effected and jail time does mean something.

How many of us must suffer because people believe we need to treat these bad people around (live).

One day criminals will need to be put alway for life. (death asap) FBI files shows over 72 percent of crimes comes from repeat offenders.

Does crime pay? Look around and you will see how many of these people are all around you?

A close friend who was a police officer, We were shopping in a local Wal-mart, as we were walking around in the store he point out all the guys who were arrest or had commited some kind of kind here in Hawaii. I was surprise because it seems like it was 1 out every 3 peope we saw that day shopping. ...................stay good...........Aloha
I don't think I understand what you are proposing exactly. The United States has the largest percentage of incarcerated population in the industrialized world; the prison system has become another industry/business. It's overcrowded, and taxpayers are burdened with maintaining a system that is clearly not working. We invest millions of dollars in jails but fail to provide people with an adequate education in many parts of America: our money goes to prisons alrite, but it is insufficient for our schools (I am an educator, I should know). The sad truth is, the more people there are in jail, the more money the prison complex industry is making while riding on the backs of taxpayers: we lose, and the people in prison lose too.

You say most offenses are drug related: exactly! A good number of people are put in prison for "crimes" such as drug use (not trafficking, not an offense related to the abuse, but mere use). In prison, many learn to be criminals, i.e. repeat offenders for more serious crimes than using. What purpose does that serve???? Do you truly believe incarcerating people for life or putting them to death is going to solve the problem? Problems need to be solved at their root: other industrialized nations have much lower crime rates. Why? Well, let's talk about inequality (GINI index, amongst other things), access to higher education, access to healthcare, etc. Hell, I don't use drugs because I have TKD and because I am educated and know the difference all too well, but if I was an uneducated person, let me tell you: I live in such a degraded environment that I too would use drugs to escape my life.

Overcrowding jails or killing repeat offenders is not going to solve any problems. Addressing the real causes of why the richest country on earth is simultaneously the country with a highest percentage of it's people in jail will. I am not an American, but I live here, and I pay taxes just like anybody else does, and it truly bugs me that my money is going to the pockets of ruthless, disgusting corporate moguls that feed on the prisons system.

Let's talk about relative deprivation, the state of our schools (teachers usually last an average of 5 years on the job, when the rate is much lower in other countries: why do you think that is????), etc. etc. Now, that will solve some problems.

Respectfully,
A.T.
smileJap.gif

A

ave_turuta

still learning said:
One other thing: when speaking of "crime," it really bugs me that we just talk of the usual stuff: shootings, muggings, etc. We never talk of white collar corporate crime. Those people (the Enrons, and others below them) are criminals too. Let's not forget about them. I would love to put them in a 6x6 cell to be shared with a thug, see if they rethink their "business practices." They have plenty of time for that in jail.

Peace,
A.T.
smileJap.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
hay tony in the u.s. happy slappy is called "wilding". still sick beyond belive. and yah that mess in the subway was horrifing. i cann't understand why anyone would be so cowerdly as to bomb a subway full of innocent people who probly haven't done crap to the i.r.a, al quikda or who ever. and i pray for that poor guy. and how to catch some one?? good question. my coung nhu sensei sometimes teaches us a weapon called a pockette stick. in appilcation it is simply a pin. hew thought of it after 9/11.
and as for still learning. you got a good point. punshment should fit the crime. murder, death. arson, haveing all your stuff lit on fire. assult, getting the living h**l beat out of you. and so forth. and screw prison. those stupid people who always walk around going "ohh yah i'm tough i just spint the last 7 years in jail". yah, well while you were living off MY tax dollars, I was living the hard way! i actully had a job, made my own food, would you like me to gone on?? and besides stupid, why did you even go to jail?? use drugs. o.k. you want to die hay i'll kill you and it wont be a slow painful death, i'll just slit your thourt. srcew that, make 'em slaves. or do drug experiments for a reduced sentince. then, hay we get to see if drugs for poteuly leathal deseaes [evil grin] will work, and they still pay their debt to society. hay i should mail that idea to my congressman shouldn't i!!!!
and as for ave turuta. the reason that the u.s. has the highest popultion of crimmanls is acctuly because we are the richest country in the world. we have the most amount of money to found the police. the only real differnce is the u.s. FINDS OUT THE MOST about crime and all that unpleasntness. and yah we should lock up all those big wiggs in REAL jail. maybe getting stuck in a 6x6 cell with a big guy named bubba who wants to play teedy in the hole will help them out.

Sweet Bright bless your blade

john

ohh and if you haven't yet read that thing about canada out lawing martial arts

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am happy with the discussion and the topics brought up are great, but have any of you noticed a dramatic increase in about the last year? We have and it has been traced back to a group that followed a particular rapper. His cronies have been found to be at the root of our sudden rise in violence. I know that there will always be violent crime and it may increase, but has it been drastic?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I am pretty fortunate when it comes to this stuff as I live in one of the safest areas in the country, as far as violent crimes go. They really are exceedingly rare around here.

I did however witness a fight between two high school girls last week. I was driving though town when I saw a big brawl on the street corner, the two main combantants appeared to be girls of roughly 16 years of age (give or take a couple years). There was a huge group of probably 20 other similarly aged kids standing around gauking at the melee, with a few of them getting in on it once in a while. I couldn't really tell if they were trying to break the fight up or escalate it.

I sat and watched for roughly a couple minutes from across the street, then I drove away and called 911. It was a bit comical in the fact that I watched them try to fight with each other for a good couple of minutes, and didn't see a single blow land squarely.

I drove by again about 15 minutes later and the cops where there talking to everyone. Don't know if anything came of it, but I never saw an ambulance, so I assume nothing too serious.

A

ave_turuta

coungnhuka said:
and as for ave turuta. the reason that the u.s. has the highest popultion of crimmanls is acctuly because we are the richest country in the world. we have the most amount of money to found the police. the only real differnce is the u.s. FINDS OUT THE MOST about crime and all that unpleasntness. and yah we should lock up all those big wiggs in REAL jail. maybe getting stuck in a 6x6 cell with a big guy named bubba who wants to play teedy in the hole will help them out.

ohh and if you haven't yet read that thing about canada out lawing martial arts
John,

With all due respect, repeating something one million times does not make it true. The truth is, no, it is not true that the US has a higher crime rate because it is the richest country on earth. A majority of people are thrown in jail for crimes that are prevented in other countries before they actually occur: crime prevention is too part of controlling crime and the increase in jailed population. Countries with lower levels of inequality (for instance, Nordic countries in Europe) have much lower crime rates (both violent and non-violent). Why?

With regards to Canada: if you go back to that post you will realize that what is banned is prize fighting (which has always been, btw), and that the source that piece is coming from is an unreliable as it is incoherent.

Peace,
A.T.

Latest Discussions