more speed

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like advice on drills and mental preparednes to increase speen in movement and delivery of tecnique.
I am working with a few already, though I am woundering what methods other artists use.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Besides just becoming better at my art, I have a tournament in late october. I ecpext to know most of those who I will be competing against from out of town/ out of state. I usually participate in all events, but my game is sparring. I have taken first in sparring the past two years and the pressure is on. My main concern is a certain competetor with really good aerial kicks. He likes long distance ariels and he is good with them.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Besides just becoming better at my art, I have a tournament in late october. I ecpext to know most of those who I will be competing against from out of town/ out of state. I usually participate in all events, but my game is sparring. I have taken first in sparring the past two years and the pressure is on. My main concern is a certain competetor with really good aerial kicks. He likes long distance ariels and he is good with them.
Long distance arial kicks, is this TKD? It would help to know your style and what the focus is. If it's TKD you're mainly kick focused. As in you're not interested in increasing hand/glove speed as a priority?

To be frank, I would not be worried about a guy with long distance aerials unless you get hit by that one-off lucky or beautifully timed strike but that does not happen much and it's not so much a speed as a timing issue. For speed concerns I would be focused more on closer strikes, rather than being quicker at closing the distance. If you can't cover up or evade a long distance aerial kick you're going to have serious issues fighting in close.

For kicks I worked a lot on building speed on the front snap kick and hook kick. A lot hinges on how fluid and quick, and high you can chamber your knee. For me this was just crazy repetition on throwing the kick numerous times against a strike pad or against a tree as a target, etc. The other was with a trainer holding focus pads and moving around and I having to hit different levels and with different kicks numerous times and as quickly as possible, kick combo work.

I am sure others have better mechanics and processes for improving kick speed.

I take it when you say "sparring" you mean tournament/kumite, rather than sparring which I see as just "training"? If so, best of luck with your upcoming tournament!! May your kicks fly straight and true and may your opponents' bodies litter the arena like so many dead trees in the wake of a hurricane.

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tt is an open tournament, I know there will contenders from Kenpo, Wingchun, Karate, Tae kwon do and Tung soo do. I practice mainly Tung soo do, but also Krav Maga and Tae kwon do.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like advice on drills and mental preparednes to increase speen in movement and delivery of tecnique.
I am working with a few already, though I am woundering what methods other artists use.
One thing, that makes you faster overall, is to use points of reference, which means keep your guard up, and only strike from a guard up position. Yes you can do something faster, guard down, but it is weak, and choosing targets from a guard up position, is when you choose targets: not before; not after. You are faster that way.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Push your self in training and train hard. I like to go over my Pyung Ahn Hyung with five or ten pound dumbells/ slowly at first, then increasing speedwith the second and third form. Lets not forget about training with somone who is already where you want to be speed wise.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Push your self in training and train hard. I like to go over my Pyung Ahn Hyung with five or ten pound dumbells/ slowly at first, then increasing speedwith the second and third form. Lets not forget about training with somone who is already where you want to be speed wise.
Dumbells won't increase you speed.

Latest Discussions