Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This story
Family Finds Videotape Of Boys' Burglary, Calls Police
Boy Face Felony Charges

POSTED: 6:14 pm EST January 27, 2005
UPDATED: 7:22 am EST January 28, 2005
A mother and an aunt of two Central Florida teens turned the pair in to police Thursday after they found a videotape the boys made of themselves allegedly burglarizing a home, according to Local 6 News.
Police said the teens broke into Dorothy Stone's Orange County, Fla., home last April and filmed the crime with a video camera. They were seen on video going through the home, according to the report.
Investigators said the teens stole a watch, cash and some video games.
One of the burglary suspects was a friend of Stone's son.
"This is so scary that this child ate pizza in our home, went to the movies with us and for the blatant disregard," Dorothy Stone said.
The aunt and the mother of two of the suspects found the tape and contacted police.
"It was a very terrible thing for the kid's mother and I to find this and to view it, to see what was done," aunt Julie Vanzon said. "They need to learn the lesson that they can't do this. They can't break the law and get away with it."
The two teens, ages 13 and 18, and another 16-year-old face felony charges in connection with the crime.
"They'll get the same amount of punishment in this crime as they would any other thing," Orange County Sheriff's spokesman Bernie Preshay said.
How stupid is it to make a video tape of your crime and then leave it laying around for the homeowners to find? Obviously stupid kids. :rolleyes:

and here ...
9 Boys Arrested In Seminole Car Thefts

POSTED: 7:54 am EST January 28, 2005
UPDATED: 8:10 am EST January 28, 2005
A group of nine boys, ages 12 to 17, were arrested this week in the theft of several cars from a auto auction in Seminole County, Fla., according to Local 6 News.
An off-duty officer spotted the teens at the Sanford Auto Dealers Exchange located off Johns Parkway, Local 6 News reported.
Police said the group ran away but were caught a short time later after being tracked by K-9 units and sheriff's deputies.
Detectives said the group had been targeting car dealerships and auto auctions and may be responsible for other car thefts in the area, according to a report.
The boys were charged with grand theft auto, burglary and resisting arrest.
The missing vehicles were recovered.

This is the same area where the two boys who were arrested for threatening another with a couple of drawings.
Is it just this area that is spawning this wave of juvenile delinquency? Obviously not as it is happening elsewhere in the country. Still these are crimes that are atypical of adults...isn't it? Mebbe it's something in the water?
I dunno, all I do know is that it's disturbing that such crimes (and others) are being committed not by older reckless teenagers (some of these are) but by some kids not even into their puberty. If they weren't caught what kind of men would they be? Even so, what kind of men will they be after they get out of jail?

On the first one. A nice family, who shared their home, food with a kid/friend finds that they've only been cased by the kid for their valuables. No values or morals at all there. And audaciously enough to make a video of their exploits speaks of having pride in their accomplishments as criminals. Mebbe they were thinking differently but on a subconcious level it's the obvious thought pattern. "I'm so cool for being able to outsmart these people and break into their house to get their stuff...man, I gotta tape this."

The second one; traveling around in a pack, stealing cars. Getting younger kids involved with it and teaching them skills that they'll only impove upon as they get older. I'm at a loss here trying to make sense of it all. It doesn't make sense.

I think back to when I was younger and a hellva lot stupider (than I am now) and the stuff that I did. Can't imagine what I was thinking then but it had to been along the same lines that these kids were thinking. Nothing to do and the thrill of doing something bad because it's no fun being good.

Is this trend going to get worse? Is there anything society can (and WILL) do to curb it? Or simply let it all happen and keep throwing them into jails to punish them? What youth programs are there for those kids to learn the benefits of doing right rather than wrong?

And once more... where the hell were the parents who should've been imparting these values to these kids in the first place? BOTH parents?
Sheesh this gets me :angry: madder than ... I dunno what!

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think these examples are of a society deteriorating more than in the past, necessarily. I think the example you posted elsewhere of the kids who made the drawing getting arrested is a bit ridiculous.

As to kids videotaping themselves - yes, very dumb, and I think it illustrates a) how they thought they wouldn't get caught, but b) how it seemed cool or brilliant or ...whatever, and they wanted to tape it, and/or because of our new digitial age, nothing is really "real" unless it's caught on film, which I think may also be an aspect to it.

I think if these kids are punished correctly, they may reform their ways. I think if they are told they are evil for all time and irredeemable, they may not.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I applaud the mom and the aunt for finding the videotape and turning them. It's hard for a mom to do that, yet I am glad she is not enabling him in other ways and letting her son know there are consequences to his actions.

- Ceicei

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For whoever it was who dinged me - please re-read my post. I was trying to say that I think arresting kids for a drawing is a bit ridiculous. I think that you may have mis-read what I said.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
where the hell were the parents who should've been imparting these values to these kids in the first place? BOTH parents?
Sheesh this gets me :angry: madder than ... I dunno what!
This, and the issue of plain bad parenting is the root of all this.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is so much to get kids involved in nowadays, there is just no reason for these boys to have nothing to do and go to the extent they did. I have to ask the same question: Where are the parents???:flammad:

Give idle hands human work: scouts, community service, religious activities, restorative activities, projects, hobbies, sports, arts, music, home improvement projects, automobile care and repair, garment making, weaving, astronomy.

:soapbox:parents are not willing to volunteer their services to get and keep programs running so that kids can stay off the streets and they can grow and be challenged.

But, no, give them all the rope they want, all the free time they wish, let them go wherever they want to with as much money as you can spare them, buy them all they ask for so they can go out, drink, snort coke and become president.:idunno:

*mumble* *gripe* *mumble*

Feisty, maybe someone misread your post thinking you were calling Ralph ridiculous for posting the other thread. I read it as the fact that the children were arrested over a drawing was ridiculous because I read the other thread and knew what you were talking about. Seems you've been the victim of a ding-happy user lately. If you notice, too, that this is a repetitive occurrance, I would recommend your asking a supermod to investigate, as rep-stalking is a major no-no.

P

PeachMonkey

shesulsa said:
Seems you've been the victim of a ding-happy user lately. If you notice, too, that this is a repetitive occurrance, I would recommend your asking a supermod to investigate, as rep-stalking is a major no-no.

I wouldn't worry about it too much -- every time I post *anything* these days, I get dinged. I think there are people around nowadays who don't feel comfortable discussing things publically but who are more than happy to anonymously (and often even without comment) simply ding people whose opinions they disagree with.

Latest Discussions