mook jong

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stupid question? Of course it is! And, as one of the most brilliant professors I ever had liked to say, "The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask". In my branch or Wing Tsun, the "true" dummy form is taught only after many years of training and completing the three empty hand sets and their applications in chi-sau and fighting. However many sifus have students practice particular movements and sequences on the dummy. This can be very helpful in refining technique since, as Qwksilver often notes, the dummy can act like a protractor to correct your positioning. Right now I don't have a dummy set up and I really could benefit from one. Anyway, see what your sifu says and let us know. Happy training.
Now you are sounding more like Leung Ting
'True' wing chun? Absolute nonsense

His question was not stupid - I have that question asked all the time
It is a valid and important question

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now you are sounding more like Leung Ting
'True' wing chun? Absolute nonsense

His question was not stupid - I have that question asked all the time
It is a valid and important question

You're exactly right on both counts Kamon, ...I was trying to be ironic, but forgot that if you don't add a "LOL", it may not look that way. I'm glad you pointed this out--Matsu? are you getting this too? Sorry if I sounded like an arrogant jerk. Honestly, I'm not arrogant...

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey geezer( thats gotta be an english yeah?)

its cool.typing and texting are not great at relaying irony sarcasm and general sillyness :tantrum:
so these icons are pretty handy!!
and thanks both for the input.

i will find out next week if i can get one made then to persuade sifu to teach me the applications of the techniques i have learnt so far.

matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JAV-again thanks for the input.
... being mildly impatient which i think even wing chun wont cure i will get it made anyway and i will ask mate to measure it to me etc have researched as much as i could for design sizes etc etc.
--matsu

One thing that you already seem to be aware of...the proportions and angles of the dummy should be crafted with care, since they help train your technique. A "cheap" dummy that is still of good quality would be a bargain indeed. It would be great if you would post a picture of it when you get it done!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
hello i would wait until you have trained for a couple more years in sil lum tao form and chum kiu form and have a good foundation. i think using the dummy at an early stage might cause bad habits eg clashing with the arms instead of using deflection etc. keep practicing chi sao and working on your stance and pivoting. i did wing chun for 10 years under sifu jim fung and i think it was only after about 6 years that i got shown the first half of the dummy form. save it for later.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the input. i appreciate all the help and despite the many variations of thoughts they have all been helpful.

sifu has advised me that purely for positioning and selected strikes blocks it will prove fruitful.

so again qwk.... bang on !! and thanks for the advice.

matsu

Latest Discussions