Mook Jong material - Wing Chun

G

GouRonin

Where can I find forms or excercises for use with a Mook Jong?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Gou,

Found this surfin'...haven't had a chance to see how good the info is. Since you're lucky enough to have a Warrior (grumblegripe), you may be able to critique the site better than I.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:) DO'H!

Sorry about that. Here ya go:

http://mookjong.20m.com/

I took another look at it and now I don't think it's so hot. Aside from the little tidbit on building your own PVC 'mook jong', there seems to be very little original material...mainly just links to other sites.

If I run across a better site (probably not hard to do), I'll let ya know.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any updates on a good site for the "Tim Allen" martialartist? (you know, the grunt, groan, n built it yerself guy) :)

I've seen several different styles, many at 'reasonable' costs, and a few that looked like they were very over priced.

Think I'd prefer to build my own, but have'nt found any good plans yet.

:asian:

OP
R

Richard S.

kaith, we can help you with that, go to www.wayofthedragon.org click kung fu info scroll down to wooden dummy, hope theyre usefull............respects.

OP
R

Richard S.

oh yeah, one more thing, im not sure about where to find one but theres another style of wooden dummy thats used in Choy Lay Fut its similar to a mook jong but it incorporates a vertical rocker arm.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. The ones for sale are a bit outta my price range for now, but definately look good. The plans look pretty useful. Bit plain, but hey, its easy to follow which is good.

Thank you again. :)

OP
R

Richard S.

youre very welcome kaith. by the way, nice place you got here.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Think I'd prefer to build my own, but have'nt found any good plans yet.

The best I've seen is the book, "The Mook Jong" by Michael Janich. It gives plans on the traditional wooden dummy with several variations (in a garage, in the ground, building a stand) and a training dummy based on Kelly Worden's Silent Fighter.

I would highly recommend it, but if your like me you gotta find the time to actually make it....lol:D

Good Luck, jb

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few people have asked about building one of these on their own--has anyone actually done it?

TargetAlex

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here are some of the experiences that I had while building one:

1) I used cedar for the body...I don't recommend anyone else try it! (Cedar was readily available to me, I have acres of it, that's the only reason I used it.) The problem at this point wasn't so much that cedar is a softer wood, it is the way cedar grows, and hence the way it dries. Unlike other woods, cedar is like a zillion small planks stacked upon each other from one side across the radius to the centre. When cedar dries, I discovered these 'planks' begin to split, leaving long splits from the top to the bottom of the body. I used some plumbers 'clamps' around the body to prevent it from splitting further.

2) I did not have a powerful enough drill to drill the holes for the arms and legs. I burned out two drills before I finally completed the holes. (Thank goodness for Canadian Tire, who take back tools with no questions asked!);)

3) I did not examine the plan close enough (I had downloaded it from the Net). The plans were a mirror image of what they should have been, so when I started to install the first arm I realized 'Hey, something ain't right here...'. Back to square one, a new body. Fortunately the dead cedar I had taken down had enough length to get a second body from it.

4) I purchased some good maple table legs for the arms, and used a part of an old workbench apparatus for the leg. No problems with this stuff, it all was great.

5) After a year of banging on this thing, the softwood aspect of the cedar has lately started to become a problem. The back of the arm holes has gradually been wearing away with each smack of the arms, and now the arms have begun to fall out. I have used 'supports' at the back, kind of like the reinforcements you would use to support the pages of a three-ringed binder (but made of wood), but these break after a shot time, and I am forever replacing them.

6) Oh, ya...I have little motion in the body (some mooks are designed to slide side-to-side) because the only way I could mount it (get this, LOL) was to duct-tape it to a metal support beam in the basement. This actually works quite well, believe it or not! When I move around the body doing drills, it will move without falling over, it 'twists' slightly (around the pole), without toppling over!!

Those are some of my experiences building a mook jong.

TargetAlex

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I would say I was successful, other than the use of the soft wood. It was a good learning experience, thats for sure!

The toughest part was drilling the arm holes through at the approporiate angle.

When I have time I will be trying to make one out of a proper hardwood.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had an old wavemaster that started to leak, the bag started to spin and wouldn't stay up. So I modified it to use as Escrima and bo bag. Also could do some empty hand stuff. I cut a hold in the top of the bag, the clinder inside of the bag, I pulled out and cut some holes in. I shoved the bag down over the bagstand then use the bag to holed the clinder that has three holes cut into it. Then went to hardware store got the 2" inch thick wood poles they use for closets to hang stuff. The ones I got are 6ft. long. I can slide them in so they are 3ft long and can work around the bag or stick them out so they are around 5 ft long. The bag is low enough that I can include kicks in with my weapon training.
Bob :D

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

I had an old wavemaster that started to leak, the bag started to spin and wouldn't stay up. So I modified it to use as Escrima and bo bag. Also could do some empty hand stuff. I cut a hold in the top of the bag, the clinder inside of the bag, I pulled out and cut some holes in. I shoved the bag down over the bagstand then use the bag to holed the clinder that has three holes cut into it. Then went to hardware store got the 2" inch thick wood poles they use for closets to hang stuff. The ones I got are 6ft. long. I can slide them in so they are 3ft long and can work around the bag or stick them out so they are around 5 ft long. The bag is low enough that I can include kicks in with my weapon training.
Bob :D

Kewl! If possible, post a picture!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check in the FAQ forum I think we have a 'how-to' in there somewhere. If not, PM me and I'll PM it back to ya. :)

OP
Y

yin_yang75

I have muks on my site. You are welcome to go there.

If you want to build one I got my first set of plans off a search on google and then compared them to the dummy at my school and made one for me and my son. PVC and Oak, they're indestructable unless you use fire. (it is one of the five elements)

I have a link to wing chun kwoon on my links page because it is a bomb site. Here is there description of a wing chun dummy. http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/training.asp The ones I make are different, if fact most you see are different, but these guys have a lot of good information.

I do all my own wood and cut my bodies. If you want to go this route and have questions about tools and what if kind of stuff e-mail me and I'll let you know what works for me.

Hope this helps.

Latest Discussions