"Modern Arnis Family Reunion Camp" July 14 - 17, 2011

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings-

I am proud to announce that we will be hosting the “Modern Arnis Family Reunion Camp” in memory of our teacher the late Grand Master Remy A. Presas. This camp will be held July 14-17, 2011 in Buffalo NY. We have several instructors whom have committed to this event. I’m currently in the process of inviting more instructors.

Further information will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to honor our instructor during the 10 year anniversary of his passing.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
*TEASER ALERT*
I've been talking to Tim a lot over the last couple of days and the confirmed instructor line up is KILLER. I will say no more about it and let Tim make the announcement.

Senior Teaser,
Dan Anderson

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Greetings-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are rapidly approaching the 10 year anniversary of Grand Master Remy Amador Presas’ death. Since the Professors’ passing, there has been quite a bit of political nonsense. Many of us in the Modern Arnis community contributed to the problem, including myself. I can’t rewrite the past. What I can do is try to help our community move forward, but not alone. I have invited 11 instructors for their assistance with this task. We will put aside our differences and share the art that we were taught by Professor. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I humbly request the members of the Modern Arnis community come together to help us honor our teacher. The road to redemption can be a long, lonely one. I propose that we keep each other company and travel down that road together.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Respectfully Yours,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Datu Tim Hartman[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remy Presas Modern Arnis[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is the information for the camp so far:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Event:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Modern Arnis Family Reunion Camp “A Time for Healing”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]July 21 – 24, 2011[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Where:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Horizon Martial Arts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]West Seneca (Buffalo), New York[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instructors ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]in alphabetical order[/FONT][FONT=&quot]):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Dan Anderson[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Bram Frank[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Chuck Gauss[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Tim Hartman[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Dieter[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Knüttel[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Rick Manglinong[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Rich Parsons[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Kelly Worden[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Brian Zawilinski[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m still waiting to hear from 3 other instructors. I’m looking forward to adding names to this list. I will have more information in the near future about the event including a website dedicated to the camp.[/FONT]

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now that it has been officially posted, I, for one, think this has the potential to be one of the great camps of Modern Arnis history. If one looks over the group of teachers one will see how broad ranging the instruction will be. I am already working my own network group pushing this event. I hope others will do the same.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately a fantastic lineup! Still a long ways away, but this is something i'd love to go to. :)

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a great lineup. I can't wait. I wonder what the outcome will be; both organizationally (politically) and in terms of technical development. I don't envision any continental shifts, but maybe we can hope for some synergies to begin?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest, it's too early to speculate on such IMO. It's a chance to honor the late GM, heal some old wounds, and open some lines of communications. Tim's shared some details with me and said that everyone is welcome, which is cool. We'll be starting work on the web site shortly which will have a lot more information, and I'll be covering the event as the official photographer. Def. an event I'm looking forward to. :)

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This letter is in response to the letters of the Topica FMA group. But it is probably best to get things out in the open now. So I will also be posting on FMATalk and Martial Talk.

2011 will be the tenth year anniversary of Professor Presas' passing. To honor our teacher's memory, I have decided to host a reunion camp. This is to show that the community can put aside our differences for a couple of days to do the right thing. I have invited eleven people to teach with me on this event. I have been answered by all but one person. The people who have accepted the invitation are as follows, in alphabetical order:

Dan Anderson MA 80
Bram Frank CSSD
Chuck Gauss IMAF
Tim Hartman WMAA
Dieter Knuttel DAV
Rick Manglinong IPMAF and WMAA
Rich Parsons Independent
Kelly Worden NSI
Brian Zawilinski IMAF

The two people who have declined are:

Jeff Delany IMAF JD
Remy Jr. MARPIO

I am currently waiting for the reply of the last person. I will not announce their name, as I do not want to put undue pressure on the party. At this time, I have no intention of adding to the instructor list. This does not mean that additional instructors won't be added at some point in the future. Our instructors are primarily US based instructors. The reason for that being the US is where most of the political nonsense occurred and this is an opportunity to smooth over the rough patches.

In the case of the IMAF, I decided to invite only two of their instructors to teach. The reason for this is quite simple....I didn't want any organization to have an overwhelming presence on the teaching staff. This does not mean that I am excluding them from the event. On the contrary, I would love to have all of the members in attendance. But the problem I run into is finances. With the current state of the global economy, I had to make some tough decisions on who to invite to teach at the event. If I was independently wealthy, I would invite everybody and foot the entire bill myself. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

The only other question that needs to be addressed is "Who is welcome?" My invitation is meant for the entire martial arts community, in particular all past and present modern arnis practitioners. I have asked instructors to put aside their personal differences for this weekend. They have agreed to teach, with and for, whomever shows up. This includes myself. There are people here in Buffalo that I do not get along with that I will not exclude from my event. However, I am not going to engage in any of the negativity of the past. Some wounds are too deep and may never heal.

If you are interested in attending in the spirit of the event, we look forward to seeing you there. However, if it is your intent to bring up old topics, don't waste your, or anyone else's time.

DragonMind

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Datu Hartman,

I am a 2nd generation student, training under Dan Anderson. I did not have the opportunity to train with Prof. Presas but would like to honor the man who created the art I have come to admire and enjoy and share with my students. One thing that has impressed me with the FMA community is how welcoming they were to new students. I am also embarrassed by the sniping, name calling, and blatantly juvenile behavior of some of the Professor's direct students. That is not honoring the man or the art.

I, for one, thank you for this opportunity and I look forward to the opportunity to train with so many talented people. Let's remember that the Professor was a man who brought people together in a shared love of his art and truly honor him by rising above petty squabbles and bruised egos. We of the next generation look at you folks now for leadership, not a bad example of childish tantrums. Would you want people 30 years from now to remember this as YOUR legacy?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
after reading the list of who will be there I told my wife that I will not be home that week.
Count me in as being there . I can hardly wait to meet and learn from these people

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reunion Camp Update
Our final instructor has been confirmed. Guro Edessa Ramos will be completing the teaching staff. Our instructors will be:

• Dan Anderson MA 80
  • Bram Frank CSSD
  • Chuck Gauss IMAF
  • Tim Hartman WMAA
  • Dieter Knüttel DAV
  • Rick Manglinong IPMAF and WMAA
  • Rich Parsons Independent
  • Edessa Ramos IMAFP / CSSD
  • Kelly Worden NSI
  • Brian Zawilinski IMAF

I have also finalized our rates for the event. The rates will be:
$349 by July 1, 2011
$399 after July 1, 2011
$425 at the door

More information will follow.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! Even though I haven't been training Arnis for almost 10 years now, I would definitely like to attend, it sounds like an event not to be missed.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just ran across this thread, I plan to be there.

Datu Tim

I commend you for putting this together and I believe in the right spirit this camp could be and probably will be awesome. I know from being at the Brevard camp and having been to Dieter's DAV camp that a getting a positive group of individuals together along with some top notch instructors can be a great time of sharing techniques, great instruction, and growth.

I just wish it was longer.

Mark Lynn

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tim

Are you holding this at a martial arts school?

Is it centrally located close to hotels for people coming in from out of state?

Mark

Latest Discussions