"Modern Arnis Family Reunion Camp" July 14 - 17, 2011

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm finishing up the Saturday shots now. Had to pause for the heat wave to break. Should be finishing up the cd shots this weekend. I'll post a few more shortly :)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saturday's write up part 1

Saturday morning started off with Brian Z. teaching a session on empty hand vs. stick defense. His teaching module was based on defense against a high forehand attack and a a high backhand attack and using a "telephone block" to take the impact of the strike as you then grab the stick and counter. Later this same type of defense was developed using a stick vs. stick scenario. Brian showed how different locks and traps can come out of the four basic hand positions per side. These locks, traps and techniques are found throughout the Professor's material.

Datu Hartman taught the next segment on stick vs. stick disarming. He started off explaining his method of rating disarms A-D from the preferred to the least preferred. Now I had never really thought about classifying disarms this way, so I got some good food for thought during this segment. Basically he taught on a series disarms according to the 12 angles of attack and then rated them A-D, the concept being that it is OK to train for personal growth by training on disarms (or techniques) that aren't likely to ever occur or be needed, as well as training for combative effectiveness. Rating the disarms (techniques) gives you a sort of matrix to prioritize your training time. He finished with the stick disarm (reversal) he called "the Hollywood" which was fun to end the disarm training on. During this segment I was working with Tih (one Jaye Spiro's students), and one of Tim's Lakan's (I think she tested for Lakan rank prior to the camp?) who came up with a variation on one of the disarms which was cool (damn I wish I had written it down:confused:).

Well I have to go, I'll post more later.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saturday write up part 2

SM Dan Anderson taught the next segment on stick sparring concepts; proper distancing, hitting the person as the cross the critical distance line, coordinated motion, foot work to use when striking etc. etc. Dan had several different drills to teach these concepts along with the some techniques to go along with the foot work. Dan's segment was very fun and informative and I got a lot out of the lesson.

GM Rick Maglinon was up next and he started off teaching double stick flow drills as in Double Sinawali Standard Six Count, and then he went into Open Six Count and then Opoen Six Count vs. Double Sinawali Standard Six Count. (My class had fun with these the Monday night after I got back, these and the other double stick patterns he showed us on Friday.) Anyway from there he left the Double Stick drills and went into empty hand reversal techniques. TBH I wish he would have stayed with the double stick myself, but hey I enjoy the double stick and teach a good bit of these drills in my curriculum. I digress; Rick showed some reversals off of a arm bar (2), and Jaye (Who I was working with) showed me another one (thanks Jaye, I did write that one down). And then Rick went back to double stick and we did a disarm off of the high back hand feed, disarming off of the system #2 (cross body block and strike).

Dieter was up next
Datu Dieter started off discussing the DAVs method of classifying their disarms and disarming principles.

BREAK: this was one of the cool things in this camp; that it allowed the attendees to see different ways of not only doing the techniques but how senior people have gone about classifying techniques, putting order into a system that we all know could be chaotic at times, and how they go about problem solving (how to make this technique work against the vast majority of people instead of just 70%), or how they have made Modern Arnis their own instead of being little Remy clones.

Dan taught on disarming the first day and stressed angle stepping and body alignment, Tim taught on organizing the disarms A-D and having one disarm apply to all angles of attack, Dieter taught on his or the DAvs method of teaching on a base principle and applying it to 12 angles of attack. All of them showed the same disarms at one time or another but they had a different take on them (similar but not the same) and definitely not the same way that GM Remy taught the disarms (or techniques). I'm just using the disarming as an example here. Anyway besides all of the feel good about seeing the instructors in the same venue working together and enjoying it, the content was excellent, and the INSTRUCTION was great as well. :soapbox:

Back on subject
Dieter showed how the DAV move straight in when dealing with an attack (instead of the angle stepping) and then showed their principle of inserting the free hand to obtain disarms off of the #1-3 and the #2-4. Now off of the high back hand feed he used the same wrapping motion of the free hand to show 3 different outcomes (disarms) all slight variations of the same wrap and hand position. Then he used the same principle on the forehand feed. Again going with the principle of the inserting the free hand off of the high back hand feed he demonstrated hitting first and then inserting the free hand.

From there he went right into single stick striking drills and then tied that together with twirling of the stick. Showing how the twirling of the stick ties in with proper body mechanics (just like the striking drills) and so on. Over all it was a great morning and afternoon of instruction.

After Dieter there was a session of round robin teaching where the instructors were each given a chance to have 5 minutes to show (teach and demonstrate, and allow the attendees to practice) a defense against a certain technique. This again was a fun time and it allowed the students to see how each instructor made their art their own. At first they taught on defenses against a high forehand feed and then it was against a high back hand feed.

Hope this gives everyone an idea of what was covered.
Mark

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few more shots from Saturday
$IMG_4408.jpg$IMG_4354.jpg$IMG_4397.jpg$IMG_4463.jpg$IMG_4467.jpg$IMG_4510.jpg$IMG_4532.jpg$IMG_4548.jpg$IMG_4572.jpg$IMG_4588.jpg

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Few more$IMG_4542.jpg$IMG_4570.jpg$IMG_4598.jpg$IMG_4624.jpg$IMG_4662.jpg$IMG_4696.jpg$IMG_4723.jpg$IMG_4740.jpg$IMG_4760.jpg$IMG_4769.jpg

Note, I'm doing a random sampling here. There are 1,100+ on the CD for the camp.
Anyone interested in purchasing it
US: $30US includes shipping within the US
Canada: $35US includes shipping to Canada
Europe: $45US includes shipping to anywhere in Europe.

Electronic Delivery is available world wide at $25 US. You don't get a cd, but a password protected Zip Archive.

To order, contact me for details.

NOTE: There are a few faces blurred out of the shots by request. Most shots are not cropped in to preserve the seminar feel. I'll post a couple of the close ups next.

Last edited:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be sending out the cd's later this week. Making 1 last pass through to be sure I got things how I want them.

If you ordered one, drop me a note so I can confirm.

If you want one, let me know, rates are up a post.

Instructors copies will be sent out soon as Tim gets back from Poland as he has all your addresses, etc. I'm working on the portraits this week and next.

You may repost these on your websites & facebook, as long as you do not remove the watermarking or edit them and give me credit (a simple "Photos by Bob Hubbard is fine and appreciated).

Questions, fire away. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few more shots from Saturday
View attachment 15221

Didn't you promise to thin me up a little?

I was unable to participate much at this camp due to nursing a back injury but I had a wonderful time meeting so many well-known practitioners of the art and especially finding out how down-to-earth they are. I had some very relaxed conversations with my seniors--yet another sense in which ego simply was not an issue. (I'm disappointed to see that no one has commented on Datu Dieter's spoon technique yet--very effective.) I met some people I had known only via the net and also got to see some instructors I rarely see and many old friends. (I also got to get some decent pizza and wings again!) It was a wonderfully positive atmosphere with instructors trying to build on what the previous one had said rather than trying to one-up the other guy. Thanks to all who came!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, I'd like to say that the WMAA held a black belt test before the start of the camp. The 100th rank certificate for the org. was given out when the promotions were announced on Sat. at the banquet. (Of course, that's fewer than 100 people as some have been promoted more than once, but it was still a milestone for us!) We had some new black belts and also some promotions to higher rank. It was a two-hour test, including sparring at the end. Thanks to the guest instructors who sat on the board for us, and congratulations to those promoted!

-Jeff Leader
WMAA Advisory Board Chair

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll be sending out the cd's later this week. Making 1 last pass through to be sure I got things how I want them.

If you ordered one, drop me a note so I can confirm.

If you want one, let me know, rates are up a post.

Instructors copies will be sent out soon as Tim gets back from Poland as he has all your addresses, etc. I'm working on the portraits this week and next.

You may repost these on your websites & facebook, as long as you do not remove the watermarking or edit them and give me credit (a simple "Photos by Bob Hubbard is fine and appreciated).

Questions, fire away. :)
Hey Bob,

Have you sent out the discs yet?

Yours,
Dan

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

Latest Discussions