Modern Arnis Community/United Nations

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was watching the UN Security Council this morning and it came to me that the "fragmentized" Modern Arnis Community is similar to the UN Security Council, posturing and communicating over who is on first base.

Now this is not meant to be controversial just an observation that posturing is common even amongst world leaders.

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
.......since not too many people think exactly alike, there will always be differing opinions. What matters is how we handle them.
Respectfully,
Guro Dan McConnell
IMAF, inc. Board of Directors
Modern Arnis of Ohio

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mao
.......since not too many people think exactly alike, there will always be differing opinions. What matters is how we handle them.

I agree also. I know that I haven't always handled myself in the best manner. But, I think, as time progresses things will work themselves out. Some will definatily drop out of the scene, and the ones who stick around will all be able to work together, no matter what organization or school of thought, to help continue the growth of the art.

:cool:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mao
Respectfully,
Guro Dan McConnell
Modern Arnis of Ohio

I absolutely agree with Dan. Very well stated.
Yours,
Dan Anderson

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Pappy Geo
I was watching the UN Security Council this morning and it came to me that the "fragmentized" Modern Arnis Community is similar to the UN Security Council, posturing and communicating over who is on first base.

Now this is not meant to be controversial just an observation that posturing is common even amongst world leaders.

Ok Pappy Geo, three people, Mao, Dan and Paul responded in general agreement with your observation and analogy. Now comes the hard part, how do we get Modern Arnis beyond the limitations of the UN? I am open to suggestions and would love to have anyone on the forum start the 'ideas train' rolling.

Of course you all know what I would suggest as one (1) and I do mean just one (1) means of getting the "community" working together, but I would not want upset anyone by mentioning a certin word :)

However, placing all levity aside I am open to suggestions. I don't see anything controversial about what you wrote Pappy Geo, I saw the same situations that promoted your remarks.
Let's hope that we can be taken seriously and people work to to put forward some sound ideas, then work to make them happen.
Talk is cheap and very easy...

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
Now comes the hard part, how do we get Modern Arnis beyond the limitations of the UN? I am open to suggestions and would love to have anyone on the forum start the 'ideas train' rolling.

Of course you all know what I would suggest as one (1) and I do mean just one (1) means of getting the "community" working together, but I would not want upset anyone by mentioning a certin word :)

However, placing all levity aside I am open to suggestions.
Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

The first step would be to quit the dissing each other, both covertly and overtly. Then some get together can happen. I don't believe the entire Modern Arnis family will ever work together in blissful harmony. Too many bull headed individuals in the family. Note: I am the first to make that claim for myself as well. I beat you all to it. :rofl:

I do think we can all not work against each other, though. That is a definite beginning.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium
I said it for you (hee hee :D )

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
The first step would be to quit the dissing each other, both covertly and overtly. Then some get together can happen. I don't believe the entire Modern Arnis family will ever work together in blissful harmony. Too many bull headed individuals in the family. Note: I am the first to make that claim for myself as well. I beat you all to it. :rofl:

I do think we can all not work against each other, though. That is a definite beginning.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium Symposium
I said it for you (hee hee :D )

I agree that not everyone will get along with everyone else.

We could all be accepting of others, in the small things. This would allow for the new people to not believe that there is only politics in Modern Arnis.

Wilingness to listen to others to see if they have something to offer.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that "Work Together" and "Get Along" are 2 different things. I agree; some people will never really "get along," or "agree" on how things should be done, but we all might be able to work together to better the art. I think that this is a realistic goal that we can hope for. :cool:

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by PAUL
I think that "Work Together" and "Get Along" are 2 different things. I agree; some people will never really "get along," or "agree" on how things should be done, but we all might be able to work together to better the art. I think that this is a realistic goal that we can hope for. :cool:

Paul, I can agree with your ideas as expressed above. There are numerous ways that working together can be accomplished. It would be a good thing if some people "got together" locally and regionally to start the process of "working together" for the advancement of the art. We have to start from where we are and work outward to connect with others. We all have to sacrifice some of our individual egos to begin the process of working together. We have to be MUTUALLY SUPPORTIVE of one anothers efforts to promote Modern Arnis.

Mao, posted the following comments:

I would agree with Pappy Geo
Respectfully,
Guro Dan McConnell
Modern Arnis of Ohio

=================

Therein lies the real trick to getting the goal of "working together" turned into a real plan and finally actual behavior. We'll see over time if this becomes a reality in some place and for some people.

I still have to be be somewhat cautious because I do not see this thread attacting too many contributors and all of the statements are very generalized, sannitized safe and so easy to post on a forum. I want to see and hearabout some concrete actions that are directed toward achieveing the goal. Without action/ real behavior nothing is actually accomplished.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without action/ real behavior nothing is actually accomplished.

I agree. I think the symposium concept is a good step in this direction, although there are some who aren't ready to cooperate with the idea just yet.

But before any real concrete steps can be taken, it is probably going to take time to weed out a lot of B.S. first. As individuals, we can try to step outside of our backyard as much as we can, and see what other groups, whether independants or organizations, have to offer. Maybe then arnis students can make informed decisions on who's "Modern Arnis" works best for them.

I don't know what the answer really is, but it makes sense, as Renegade said, that we need to be able to co-exist first. I just think that some time has to pass for this to occur. In the mean time we can work within our own group to improve our own skill, and step outside our backyards to see what else is out there. A gradual effort to do this will better our ability to co-exist in time.:cool:

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade
I think we should learn to co-exist before we try to work together.

We already co-exist when we have seperate house that we live in and work out of. You have the WMAA, Shea/Motts are the IMAF, Inc., Delaney/McManus are the IMAF and Kelly Worden is the WMAC. Everyone is already in existence, when would you propose the process of trying to work together begins?

Lamont

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by norshadow1
We already co-exist when we have seperate house that we live in and work out of. You have the WMAA, Shea/Motts are the IMAF, Inc., Delaney/McManus are the IMAF and Kelly Worden is the WMAC. Everyone is already in existence, when would you propose the process of trying to work together begins?

Lamont

Co-exist peacefully.

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I think the symposium concept is a good step in this direction, although there are some who aren't ready to cooperate with the idea just yet.

But before any real concrete steps can be taken, it is probably going to take time to weed out a lot of B.S. first. As individuals, we can try to step outside of our backyard as much as we can, and see what other groups, whether independants or organizations, have to offer. Maybe then arnis students can make informed decisions on who's "Modern Arnis" works best for them.

I don't know what the answer really is, but it makes sense, as Renegade said, that we need to be able to co-exist first. I just think that some time has to pass for this to occur. In the mean time we can work within our own group to improve our own skill, and step outside our backyards to see what else is out there. A gradual effort to do this will better our ability to co-exist in time.:cool:

Respectfully, I have to disagee, Paul. You are trying to have it both ways,

1. "As individuals, we can try to step outside of our backyard as much as we can, and see what other groups, whether independants or organizations, have to offer. Maybe then arnis students can make informed decisions on who's "Modern Arnis" works best for them."

2. "I just think that some time has to pass for this to occur. In the mean time we can work within our own group to improve our own skill, and step outside our backyards to see what else is out there. A gradual effort to do this will better our ability to co-exist in time."

How much time needs to pass? In a medical analogy, bad things never go away by themselves - you need to face the fact that there is an illness and go get treatment.

There are problems in Modern Arnis, now we have to face the demons within ourselves, step outside our comfortable niches and work to establish some cooperative ventures. Start close to home, if one person is not receptive, try another. Give a little to get a little, I was always told. The time to start is now, what if tomorrow isn't there for some person?

BTW, head teachers of schools and organization leaders need to take the lead in establishing the cooperative efforts, although students can help by not being critical of others not studdying in their particular school.

Lamont

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much time needs to pass? In a medical analogy, bad things never go away by themselves - you need to face the fact that there is an illness and go get treatment.

If your going with the medical analogy, most illnesses, or in this case, injuries aren't cured overnight. Some injuries take years of therapy before fully cured.

I just know it is going to take time for us to be able to "co-esxist peacefully," whether we like it or not. Sure, we need to work towards a solution (problems don't just fix themselves), but it will take time for these to be fully implimented. This is usually the case for any kind of change, even positive ones.

I proposed that people just (1.)continue to build quality w/in their respective groups, (2.)while seeing what others have to offer. That's just steps 1 and 2.

Maybe a step 3 would be to better communication between organizations and factions acrossed the board. I think that communication has been drastically improved by the internet and talk forums, whether people like it or not. We need to move beyond that, however. I should feel like I can call a representative from any organization or independant and say, "Hey, I'm in town. Do you mind if I stop by this seminar?" Some groups have a pretty open communication line, others have closed themselves off. Others are closed because either they feel that they shouldn't have to communicate from people outside of their own organization, or that they don't have to answer to anyone but themselves, or perhaps they just haven't worked out their Public Relation difficulties, or whatever. It is my opinion that to take a non-communatative stance is wrong, and that we all have to answer to each other even if we disagree. So, communication still has room for improvement.

Maybe a step 4 would then be organizations and factions cross-training with each other. I might be a WMAA member, but maybe I decide that this person who isn't a WMAA member would be of value to train a seminar with, or to send students too. Then they decide to do a WMAA seminar to see what value we have. Then, networks are built. I know that this is being done to a much smaller degree now, but in time, and with better communication we'll be able to do this across the board.

Then Maybe a step 5 will happend with "Mergers." Just like coorporate mergers 2 companies ajoin into 1, maybe some of the organizations who don't disappear will decide to join with others into one large organization. Maybe they keep their org. name, but make it "a division of so-and-so." Who knows? I honestly do forsee this happening in the future, however, even if it is the WAY distant future. I know it happends on a smaller scale right now, with individual instructors and schools deciding to change organizations, or link with other independents.

These are some concrete steps spelled out in better detail, and that are happening right now on a smaller scale. I think that these steps will continue to progress overtime. I don't know if these are the best solutions that we have available, however, but right now it seems to me that this is the direction that things are going.

I know the 2 things that are hurdles in our progress right now, though. These are #1. dishonesty & Egotism, and #2. lack of communication, usually a result from #1. There are too many people out there who inflate themselves, pretend that they are something they are not, or even outright lie. This causes rifts among the M.A. community, which makes it difficult to open up the communication lines. If you want a solution that will speed up the process of "co-existance" then WE MUST FIND A WAY TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM LIEING in Modern Arnis. We probably can't "make" people not lie, but it would be nice to have some sort of check and balance system where if someone fabricates a load of crap, the public will speak out and say so. This is what we really need, because the Bulls**t has got to stop. Either we have to stop it, or it dies on its own. I have attempted to call out actions of certian individuals before, yet despite all of the agreement in my favor, the individuals that I addressed continued on with their ways. In an attempt to help the art by stopping fustrating acts of deception, all it earned me was anger from some who disagreed, while others forgot about my efforts completely. It changed very little. So as you can imagine, I unfortunatily do not have a solution as to how to stop the B.S. through a check and balance system, because there are many occasions where when I, along with the masses, have spoken out, yet the offenders would not admit fault, or even listen. So this only leaves letting the "lies" die on their own; in other words with the gradual progression of things hopefully the truth will come out, and the lies will fall to the wayside.

Anyways, this seems to be the way things are progressing thusfar, but if anyone has concrete open suggestions as to how to improve the political climate so we can "co-exist," other then what I have said thus far, I would be happy to listen. I certianly don't have even close to all of the answers.....

:cool:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Co-exist and then . . .

Well, My Plans are as follows.

I have already met and trained with Datu Hartman and Senior Master Anderson.

I have plans to travel to Reno NV , to See a MARPIO seminar, Remy Jr and Rodel.

I have plans to attend the WMAA camp in May to meet and train with Datu (GM) Rick Bon Jornalas (* Note: This man is Datu in Modern Arnis and has inherited his family system and is a GM also. *)

I have plans to attend (* sent in deposit *) to the 2003 Symposium for Modern Arnis, where many of the other Seniors of Modern Arnis will be at.

The list of those I will nat have the priviledge to train with, then
will be Datu Kelley Worden, Datu Hoffman, and a couple of the Masters of Tapi-Tapi.

I was able to train with Dr Schea and JD and Chuck Guass before the Death of Professor Presas.

So, this is how I Plan on trying to get along with everyone.

Just my way.

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Co-exist and then . . .

Well, My Plans are as follows.

I have already met and trained with Datu Hartman and Senior Master Anderson.

I have plans to travel to Reno NV , to See a MARPIO seminar, Remy Jr and Rodel.

I have plans to attend the WMAA camp in May to meet and train with Datu (GM) Rick Bon Jornalas (* Note: This man is Datu in Modern Arnis and has inherited his family system and is a GM also. *)

I have plans to attend (* sent in deposit *) to the 2003 Symposium for Modern Arnis, where many of the other Seniors of Modern Arnis will be at.

The list of those I will nat have the priviledge to train with, then
will be Datu Kelley Worden, Datu Hoffman, and a couple of the Masters of Tapi-Tapi.

I was able to train with Dr Schea and JD and Chuck Guass before the Death of Professor Presas.

So, this is how I Plan on trying to get along with everyone.

Just my way.

Hi Rich,

That is an excellent plan. If you did half of it you would be doing more than many people to meet and work with others in Modern Arnis.

Lamont

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

That is an excellent plan. If you did half of it you would be doing more than many people to meet and work with others in Modern Arnis.

Lamont

I definatily agree w/ Lamont, and that sounds like a good plan!

I know that realistically I won't be able to travel as much as I would like at least for the next couple of years. But once I build my career up, I will have the means and flexability to go out and see everyone I can, which is also my personal plan. :D Heck, I might even be able to visit some of the people who hate me...it'll be nice to see how they're doing also! ;)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

Lamont

Lamont,

This is only some of the stuff I have committed to either financially or given my word.

I also might hit some seminars in London Ont. for various arts,as
well as South East Michigan.

The Michgan Camp for the IMAF Schea Group ios a possibility, yet I cannot commit. That month I am schedule for work to be IN Italy one week and most likely China another week. Even if the week of the Camp 6/19-6/22, I am here in Michigan I might be too busy recovering from one trip or getting ready for another.

Also, I hope to maybe add a couple of more events to my schedule in the Fall time frame. Being a single Engineer, I have some time and some cash for trips that are extened weekends and are within a days drive!

I also, take at least one private lesson Balintawak a week, I train every week with two others who also take Private lesson more often then I do. This is on top of teachign Modern Arnis a few nigts a week in Class and giving my own Privates.

It is not just a hobby :D :asian:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I definatily agree w/ Lamont, and that sounds like a good plan!

I know that realistically I won't be able to travel as much as I would like at least for the next couple of years. But once I build my career up, I will have the means and flexability to go out and see everyone I can, which is also my personal plan. :D Heck, I might even be able to visit some of the people who hate me...it'll be nice to see how they're doing also! ;)

Paul,

Each person has to do what they can do, wiht in their own limits.

Besides You will contibute! and Thanks!