MMA would never work in a real fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then you should know that a choke hold is a death move. and i thought that all english people drink tea, regardless of class :)

It's a technique just like any other in martial arts, if MMA is to be taken seriously as a sport as boxing is, phrases like 'death move' aren't going to help it's case. It's sounds like something out of a fake wrestling show. It's not professional and it sounds like macho posturing 'I'm gonna put a death move on you', nice.
I've spent years along with others here to portray MMA as a serious competitive style and it's fighters as professionals even if they don't get paid! We are trying to gain respect from the wider martial arts community as well as the public and 'death move' isn't the way to go. Besides one should have enough control over what you do that it doesn't have to be a 'death move' but a controlling one useful for door staff and police officers. MMA fighters should be calm and collected as well as calculating when competing, it's mental skill as well as physical skill, it's more of a game than a death match, no sane fighter gets into the cage aiming to kill or maim his opponent.

We drink tea, coffee and beer all made properly none of your weird chemical stuff.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez3 Boddingtons FTW.(for the win) The first english beer i ever drank, amazing stuff makes American stuff look like toilet water. Honestly i cant understand why we Americans tolerate our beer companies peddling thin watery crap with little taste. Bud/bush/miller/coors, all thin and watery with a insignificant taste. Give me a nice english ale, or lager. Having said that, i love Sam Adams.

I agree with you that mma needs to ditch the macho hyped up attitude it has, as well as the UFC needs to ditch Dana White. He treats it like a real contact WWF. I have done MMA for over 8months now and mma is what you make of it. I went from sport oriented school to a Self defense oriented school combatives school.(still mma in that we are taking stuff from kenpo/boxing/kickboxing/Japanese ju jitsu) I can tell you this now that everything i learned from the sport school was applicable to a real fight.

The biggest self defense thing i have learned in my first year of martial arts is, not what your doing, but JUST DO SOMETHING!!!. Dont just stand there like a deer in the headlights, ACT,MOVE Do something, anything....... Here is someone, using boxing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3 Boddingtons FTW.(for the win) The first english beer i ever drank, amazing stuff makes American stuff look like toilet water. Honestly i cant understand why we Americans tolerate our beer companies peddling thin watery crap with little taste. Bud/bush/miller/coors, all thin and watery with a insignificant taste. Give me a nice english ale, or lager. Having said that, i love Sam Adams.

I agree with you that mma needs to ditch the macho hyped up attitude it has, as well as the UFC needs to ditch Dana White. He treats it like a real contact WWF. I have done MMA for over 8months now and mma is what you make of it. I went from sport oriented school to a Self defense oriented school combatives school.(still mma in that we are taking stuff from kenpo/boxing/kickboxing/Japanese ju jitsu) I can tell you this now that everything i learned from the sport school was applicable to a real fight.

The biggest self defense thing i have learned in my first year of martial arts is, not what your doing, but JUST DO SOMETHING!!!. Dont just stand there like a deer in the headlights, ACT,MOVE Do something, anything....... Here is someone, using boxing.

The people on MT will tell you how much I dislike the UFC and it's methods of marketing!

I've been doing martial for 20 years the last 12 being MMA as well as traditional styles. MMA is slightly different here, for one thing we don't have the history of wrestling Americans have, our style is very heavily a mixture of traditional styles.

I believe you are correct when you say 'do something' but don't forget running away is as good an option as any! Seriously, fighting out when you don't have to is poiontless.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, because in Muay Thai, when 2 orthodox stances faces each other, the one going for the high roundhouse is usually countered by a step, lead leg kick to the leg. Step lead legs kicks are seldom to the mid section. They're a probing technique in MT. Unless they do a switchstep, lead leg....which is too late against the other guy's rear leg roundhouse to the head.
*Snipped out a bit of misreading*
If you meant that there arent many kick kicks, then why do they ever happen? Because they do irrefutably happen.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha, homey is a friendly term sheeesh. Too much coffee I see, chill out. And yes, a choke hold is a death move. Maybe you're just doing it wrong.

It's a blood restriction technique, if you do it right. Would take 4 minutes AFTER someone went unconcious to kill someone with a rear naked choke, for example.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a blood restriction technique, if you do it right. Would take 4 minutes AFTER someone went unconcious to kill someone with a rear naked choke, for example.

So, technically it is a death move, but only if the ref is blind.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, technically it is a death move, but only if the ref is blind.

Exactly! I wouldn't rely on it in a street fight either for several reasons, taking it that you are attacked by only one person and you have put a choke on him rendering him unconcious, to then take the time to kill him would be taken as murder in many courts as it's not reasonable force. If you are attacked by more than one you simply won't be able to take the time to kill them. It's useful for controlling people, use it to the point of unconciousness to chuck them out of premises or to chuck them in the back of a police van. It does only take seconds to make someone 'sleep' that's enough for most certainly enough in competition, fighters don't despite what some thing want to kill each other, they aren't enemies and the best fighters fight 'cold' not in a rage or with intent to hurt but with skill and tactics they use to try and win the bout.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a technique just like any other in martial arts, if MMA is to be taken seriously as a sport as boxing is, phrases like 'death move' aren't going to help it's case. It's sounds like something out of a fake wrestling show. It's not professional and it sounds like macho posturing 'I'm gonna put a death move on you', nice.

Try understand what I posted in context first rather than isolating what I said to take it out of context, thanks.

A simple choke taught in BJJ is still a death move, whether you like it or not. The premise of this thread is whether or not MMA works in a real fight. My argument is that, when has punching someone in the face repeatedly or choking them ever not work, even if you wanted to kill them. The "kill factor" is significant in such arguments as most Self Defense people claims certain hocus pocus that are only available in their SD training that's somehow more superior for the streets than what an MMA fighter goes through.

I've spent years along with others here to portray MMA as a serious competitive style and it's fighters as professionals even if they don't get paid! We are trying to gain respect from the wider martial arts community as well as the public and 'death move' isn't the way to go. Besides one should have enough control over what you do that it doesn't have to be a 'death move' but a controlling one useful for door staff and police officers. MMA fighters should be calm and collected as well as calculating when competing, it's mental skill as well as physical skill, it's more of a game than a death match, no sane fighter gets into the cage aiming to kill or maim his opponent.

In an MMA competition, both fighters are throwing full strikes, with all of their might at one another's head & body, trying to inflict the absolute maximum damage that they possibly can until their opponent is KO'ed or until the referee stops it. A choke hold is cranked with the same intentions of killing someone unless they tap or again, if the referee stops it. There's control in sparring, even hard sparring. But there's really no control of force in the cage. Many times, someone gets dropped and KO'ed while standing and the other fighter jumps on him to pound his near unconscious head as the ref throws his body in to stop the fight. A choke hold causing death can merely be an extra 10-15 seconds of not knowing that your opponent has already passed out. And permanent brain damage at that point is almost certain already.

We drink tea, coffee and beer all made properly none of your weird chemical stuff.

That's amazing, as an Asian, I've never heard of such properly made tea before.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try understand what I posted in context first rather than isolating what I said to take it out of context, thanks.

A simple choke taught in BJJ is still a death move, whether you like it or not. The premise of this thread is whether or not MMA works in a real fight. My argument is that, when has punching someone in the face repeatedly or choking them ever not work, even if you wanted to kill them. The "kill factor" is significant in such arguments as most Self Defense people claims certain hocus pocus that are only available in their SD training that's somehow more superior for the streets than what an MMA fighter goes through.

In an MMA competition, both fighters are throwing full strikes, with all of their might at one another's head & body, trying to inflict the absolute maximum damage that they possibly can until their opponent is KO'ed or until the referee stops it. A choke hold is cranked with the same intentions of killing someone unless they tap or again, if the referee stops it. There's control in sparring, even hard sparring. But there's really no control of force in the cage. Many times, someone gets dropped and KO'ed while standing and the other fighter jumps on him to pound his near unconscious head as the ref throws his body in to stop the fight. A choke hold causing death can merely be an extra 10-15 seconds of not knowing that your opponent has already passed out. And permanent brain damage at that point is almost certain already.

That's amazing, as an Asian, I've never heard of such properly made tea before.

Dear boy, I can only think you have a vivid imagination as you actually seem to know only a little about MMA fights and fighters. Your style of writing makes you sound over excitable. There is an amazing amount of control in the cage because without control you will lose the fight. What's the point of training carefully, building fitness, planning tactics if all you are going to do when you get into the cage is act like an ignorant berserker? I have seen hundreds of fights, reffed many, cornered many and judged many and I've never seen anyone jump onto an unconcious fighter and start hitting him/her. Refs including myself will jump in if someone has had enough or has been KO'd while on the floor, sometimes fighters will go down together with one having been KO'd but a fighter doesn't jump on one who is out on the floor. They don't watch him go down and think oo look he's out I'll carry on hitting him, nonsense. If you are so unaware of what is happening in your fight you shouldn't be in the cage. If you are so carried away with your own sense of importance you shouldn't be fighting. I think too you need to learn what chokes are and what they do.
Permanent brain damage isn't certain death by the way.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
*Snipped out a bit of misreading*
If you meant that there arent many kick kicks, then why do they ever happen? Because they do irrefutably happen.

I didn't say this at all. I just said that based on MT and the MT used in MMA, there's less chances of getting kicked in the groin from RH kicks on RH kicks ....while sidekicks risks your groins the most. And the step lead leg kick to the inner thigh may be a close second.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score

It depends. But needing "4 minutes" of constantly holding onto the blood choke after someone already went unconscious is not correct. It's much less than that.

This guy passes out in under 5 seconds.

While here:

http://www.wdsu.com/Sheriff-Man-Die...Him/-/9854144/10973378/-/ejethtz/-/index.html

this 110 lbs, 14 year old kid accidentally kills a 220 lbs, 24 year old adult with a rear naked choke that was held for only 30-40 seconds (according to eye witnesses).

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Real Fight Equation;

aPA + aPB = 1L/1W
aggitated Person A vs aggitated Person B = 1Loser/1Winner

The certain thing about a real fight is two people in physical opposition, one becoming the victor, the other, the loser

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Exactly! I wouldn't rely on it in a street fight either for several reasons, taking it that you are attacked by only one person and you have put a choke on him rendering him unconcious,

Well if someone's only trained in BJJ, then that's what he's probably going to do. And why does he always have to be alone? Why can't he be the one with more friends there?

to then take the time to kill him would be taken as murder in many courts as it's not reasonable force. If you are attacked by more than one you simply won't be able to take the time to kill them. It's useful for controlling people, use it to the point of unconciousness to chuck them out of premises or to chuck them in the back of a police van.

Well there's obviously risks for everything. Punching someone in the face and they crash down, head first onto a cement curb, can also kill them.

It does only take seconds to make someone 'sleep' that's enough for most certainly enough in competition, fighters don't despite what some thing want to kill each other, they aren't enemies and the best fighters fight 'cold' not in a rage or with intent to hurt but with skill and tactics they use to try and win the bout.

You still don't understand in context, what I wrote. No kidding they're not enemies. But in a cage fight, you still crank the choke at full power (just as you would if you were trying to kill someone) and keep going until he taps or until the ref stops it. The choker usually doesn't even know that his opponent went unconscious.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dear boy, I can only think you have a vivid imagination as you actually seem to know only a little about MMA fights and fighters. Your style of writing makes you sound over excitable.

Same back at you grammy.

There is an amazing amount of control in the cage because without control you will lose the fight.

No kidding, but a locked choked is still being cranked to the fullest capabilities of the choker. You still don't understand what I wrote in context.

What's the point of training carefully, building fitness, planning tactics if all you are going to do when you get into the cage is act like an ignorant berserker?

Show me where I condone such.

I have seen hundreds of fights, reffed many, cornered many and judged many and I've never seen anyone jump onto an unconcious fighter and start hitting him/her. Refs including myself will jump in if someone has had enough or has been KO'd while on the floor, sometimes fighters will go down together with one having been KO'd but a fighter doesn't jump on one who is out on the floor. They don't watch him go down and think oo look he's out I'll carry on hitting him, nonsense. If you are so unaware of what is happening in your fight you shouldn't be in the cage. If you are so carried away with your own sense of importance you shouldn't be fighting. I think too you need to learn what chokes are and what they do.
Permanent brain damage isn't certain death by the way.

Still doesn't mean that your reading comprehension skills are adequate, as proven by your not understanding what I wrote.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same back at you grammy.

No kidding, but a locked choked is still being cranked to the fullest capabilities of the choker. You still don't understand what I wrote in context.

Show me where I condone such.

Still doesn't mean that your reading comprehension skills are adequate, as proven by your not understanding what I wrote.

ROFLMFAO....of course it wouldn't be your writing skills would it now.......
:lfao:

what's a locked choked btw? for that matter what's a 'grammy'?

I htink you need to understand that taking the time to kill an unconcious person is looked at differently in law to hitting someone and them being killed by hitting their head on the ground. It's about intent and reasonable force.

You do realise the 'you don't understand what I wrote in context' doesn't actually mean anything? You mean that I have taken something you wrote out of context, which I haven't actually, you just read it wrong as proved by my comment above.
Did I say you condoned fighting like a berserker or did I ask what the point of fighting like that was?

The 'full capacities of the choker'? Really? A fighter puts a choke (what sort by the way?) on as much as he needs to, a RNC for example doesn't exactly need much effort to put on does it?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say this at all. I just said that based on MT and the MT used in MMA, there's less chances of getting kicked in the groin from RH kicks on RH kicks ....while sidekicks risks your groins the most. And the step lead leg kick to the inner thigh may be a close second.

I originally thought You were referring to kicks to the balls, then edited it out because I thought I misread it. Ill go back to that.

Take your clothes off one morning, stand in front of a mirror, and throw a high roundhouse. Then try and tell me your groin isnt a prime target.
Just to be clear, im not joking. Thats a serious suggestion.
Also, in MT and MMA, groin kicks are illegal.

Latest Discussions