MMA bashing on Kung Fu

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's true but it also deals out a lot more punishment and not everyone is into the "ground and pound" of fighting. People gotta go to work the next morning. You can't sell anything looking like this. ha ha ha.

Him: Welcome to McDonald's can I take your order please.
85391397.jpg

Me:
tenor.gif
Dude on the right is having a BAD day!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I trained 6 days/week 4 1/2 hours a day and worked a straight 40 hour/week job
Cut this down to 2 hours with maybe 5 hours on Saturday and I'll come join you lol. It would be difficult for me to hold anything close to this pace with the job that I have now, which is mentally draining. By the time I get home I just want to do nothing , eat (maybe) and sleep. I've nodded off at least 5 times since 9pm. lol. Once while typing this much.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude on the right is having a BAD day!
Yeah I don't want any of my days to be like that. lol people can call me a wimp all the want lol. Fake Kung Fu master. Yep. call me that too. I have no intention of taking a beating like that in any of my life scenarios. lol

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to put things in perspective. Were you better later on in your training than you were when you first started? Were you better in comparison to who? All of that makes a difference and is equally important as being the best.

Sucking at something means a person is just as horrible as he/she was when they first started. They haven't improved in any shape or form after all of that training. If that is happening, then a person can truly say that they suck at it. It doesn't mean that you have to stop training because it may be something you enjoy doing, but just embrace that you suck and keep going. It's like people who suck at singing but still sing. My wife is a horrible singer and it hurts my ears but I know it makes her happy so, I take the hit lol.

Now if someone sucks and that makes them unhappy, then that's when it's time to call it quits. In terms of sports, sometimes it's a wrong place and time situation. My first year in high school track was nothing but me losing. There was a lot of of competition from the senior class. By the time I was a senior all of my tough competition were long out of high school. I made it to City but not State. I won about 97% of my races. Part of my success was because I trained hard. The bigger part was because those who were better graduated. lol

The context wasn't about me. The context is about people having different aptitude for different parts of martial arts.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Get better at it, yes. But some people will make small steps and others great leaps.

I did 3 years of wrestling in middle school. Did I get better? Yes. Did I ever win a match? Only when I was fighting a weight class down. I sucked at it.

I'm taking hapkido now. It's difficult for me. Am I better than I was a year ago? Yes. Do I feel confident with it yet? No.

My comments aren't that people can't get better. My comments are regarding the idea that people get better at everything at the same rate.

I don't believe that anyone ever said that everyone improves at the same rate. The point is that you WILL improve. I was never the best grappler in my old gym, but I was a hell of a lot better at grappling when I left than when I first stepped on the mat.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't believe that anyone ever said that everyone improves at the same rate. The point is that you WILL improve. I was never the best grappler in my old gym, but I was a hell of a lot better at grappling when I left than when I first stepped on the mat.

Drop Bear was saying that if one person is better at forms and another person is better at sparring, then the curriculum is suspect.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drop Bear was saying that if one person is better at forms and another person is better at sparring, then the curriculum is suspect.

I read it more as if people are developing all over the place instead of in a straight line then there's a problem. A mid level rank should be seeing improvement in all of the areas of instruction. A black belt in any given system should be competent to good in all areas of instruction. Everyone should be getting better at what they're doing over time.

A black belt shouldn't have "sloppy forms" but great sparring skill. If that happens then something's wrong with the curriculum.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read it more as if people are developing all over the place instead of in a straight line then there's a problem. A mid level rank should be seeing improvement in all of the areas of instruction. A black belt in any given system should be competent to good in all areas of instruction. Everyone should be getting better at what they're doing over time.

A black belt shouldn't have "sloppy forms" but great sparring skill. If that happens then something's wrong with the curriculum.

And you can be improving in all areas, and show much bigger gains in 1 area. Say someone starts out, and their forms are at a 2/10, and sparring at 4/10. If, after a year, their forms are 3/10, and their sparring is 8/10, they've improved in all areas, but their biggest gains have been sparring.

The more diverse your curriculum, the more this hits.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of you have weird ideas about training.

There seems to be a gargantuan gap between people that train for performance and people that train according to non performance related grading systems here.

I guess once the 'martial' part of martial arts is removed, the training becomes rather arbitrary..to the point those involved completely lose touch with reality.

Reason #347 that TMA needs an enema.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone is trying to become “better at forms”, or believes that the point of forms is to become better at doing them, then they do not understand forms. At all.

Depending on how sparring is done, it can be a useful exercise. But not all sparring is of equal quality, so it depends.

In my personal opinion, sparring is often given more weight than it deserves. It is not an absolute necessity in developing useful skills.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fighting against resistance is useful in learning how to fight against resistance.
It's where sparring and rolling come in. It's where the "Martial" in Martial Arts comes in.

If a student of the Arts needs to defend themselves in a real self defense situation, which guy do you want to be, the guy who has always trained against resistance, or the guy who never really trained that?

I know which line I'm getting in. I'm getting in that looooooong mf'ker.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would have to put a higher percentage on the student. It could be that they are really into sparring and tournaments or that they are lazy about learning/practicing their forms. What does that have to do with a curriculum?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, he's really changed. It's interesting what MMA and Bjj will do to a martial arts nerd like that.

He was probably genetically predisposed to fighting. Most MMA guys are.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone is trying to become “better at forms”, or believes that the point of forms is to become better at doing them, then they do not understand forms. At all.

Maybe not in your art.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score

There are international competition circuits where people compete in forms as a performance art. They train in forms for a different reason than you do, but it is slightly arrogant and unproductive to call popular international sports with well-developed competition circuits "wrong." That's like speed-skaters calling figure skating "wrong."

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are international competition circuits where people compete in forms as a performance art. They train in forms for a different reason than you do, but it is slightly arrogant and unproductive to call popular international sports with well-developed competition circuits "wrong." That's like speed-skaters calling figure skating "wrong."

Yes, I cannot understand how anyone involved in the Martial Arts, or any performance art for that matter, does not enjoy and appreciate that performance.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I cannot understand how anyone involved in the Martial Arts, or any performance art for that matter, does not enjoy and appreciate that performance.

Those 3 are in perfect sync. I'm impressed.

Latest Discussions