MMA and similar arts are not true Martial Arts?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why exactly. I can see from a UFC perspective, but MMA, how do you quantify that?
|
First, you didn't like my scary-Drop Brear, reply. He posted, some cohort posted a humorous vid about that. Can we lighten up?
|
Well from an observer point, I would leave the distinctions to you and those like who have more direct contact in MMA. Would you please expand, explain about your question? That would help me....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As in?

I don't know exactly what you mean and don't wanna respond improperly and create a debate built on confusion lol
|
Yeah, I was lost in the broadness of that statement too.....

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
|
Yeah, I was lost in the broadness of that statement too.....

I'm still waiting to hear you answer Transks question, I was also a little confused about what you meant by "my view would lead MMA fighters to great success"

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear you answer Transks question, I was also a little confused about what you meant by "my view would lead MMA fighters to great success"
|
It was a general acknowledgement.... As active MMA guys, you go first.... waiting....

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
|
It was a general acknowledgement.... As active MMA guys, you go first.... waiting....

Most MMA guys are TMA guys....thats kinda been my entire point.

the top level UFC fighters throughout its lifespan usually have a couple black belts....or high ranking belts in the least.

Even most of the amateur guys you'll meet are actively (or trying to) train in styles outside of their gym.

That in mind,

an opinion on whether it's it's own standalone martial art really doesn't affect that...

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most MMA guys are TMA guys....thats kinda been my entire point.

the top level UFC fighters throughout its lifespan usually have a couple black belts....or high ranking belts in the least.

Even most of the amateur guys you'll meet are actively (or trying to) train in styles outside of their gym.

That in mind,

an opinion on whether it's it's own standalone martial art really doesn't affect that...
|
Ok, thanks I see where you are going with that.
|
Maybe you could start a a thread running through the stylistic approach you've come to have. Again, I'm not sure TMA is as widely practiced in all of MMA as you suggest. Guess I'm caught up in UFC-Land.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
^^^
Rhetorical. I'm talking about the skills traditional karate training can provide if done true to the Masters. Of course that's a very hard path to take, scary-DROP BEAR.

yes but you are not basing that on anything other than karate is awesome.

You don't need a corner man. Because karate is awesome.

machida wins fights because karate is awesome.

what do yo do if you are backed in a corner? Karate of course because it is awesome.

which is fine but karate cant be awesome just because it is awesome.

That is q self fulfilling prophecy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, but i've never seen an mma school with a belt system....again, I can still perform competitively with Shotokan and BJJ.

I can perform bjj competitively without having a belt in bjj.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If youre talking about striking while in guard (yours or theirs) you really can't attribute that to MMA...folks without any for of training to that while grappling in schoolyard rumbles....it's just natural, I can hit you, so I will.

no striking while they are in their guard. There is an art to it. It isn't school yard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because you've had BJJ training.

otherwise you'd be demolished,not performing competitively.

Because I have had submission wrestling training. We had a guy win (ok it was the novice. But he had also been training five months) a bjj comp with exactly zero bjj training. Never put on a gi

With my mma stand up striking training I wonder how I would go in a Shotokan competition?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. Greg Jackson and a mma belt system. So if you haven't seen it or don't believe it is a thing. Now you have. Yes it is.

Would a Greg Jackson mma black belt be comparable to any black belt in any system?

That was rhetorical.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. Greg Jackson and a mma belt system. So if you haven't seen it or don't believe it is a thing. Now you have. Yes it is.

Would a Greg Jackson mma black belt be comparable to any black belt in any system?

That was rhetorical.

And odds are I could get nearly everything he teaches as MMA by cross training.

Some boxing gyms use belt systems, that doesn't mean they're doing anything to distinct them as their own style.

Considering Karate and Kickboxing (which has a lot of karate style moves) are most likely a big part of your MMA striking (the rest probably being boxing or may Thai or a mix) you're probably set!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And odds are I could get nearly everything he teaches as MMA by cross training.

Some boxing gyms use belt systems, that doesn't mean they're doing anything to distinct them as their own style.

Considering Karate and Kickboxing (which has a lot of karate style moves) are most likely a big part of your MMA striking (the rest probably being boxing or may Thai or a mix) you're probably set!

Does this cut both ways? Am I a karate black belt if I can towel up karate black belts. Seeing as mma is just basically karate anyway.

By the way the above is pretty much how kudo grades.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does this cut both ways? Am I a karate black belt if I can towel up karate black belts. Seeing as mma is just basically karate anyway.

see here is where thing get a bit vague kudo is a mma. They would do well on mma comps but is a gi on, formal system with belts. Except Apparently you can walk in,bash everybody in the room and walk out with a black belt.

Kudo is - Dan Kyu KIF

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

MMA isn't anything, it's a ruleset.

Everything someone learns in an MMA gym comes from a specific separate style. Call it whatever you want, but when it's picture perfect, unchanged from style A, it's Style A. Not some "new martial art" because you say so or therest a new venue.

Idk which way anyones cutting anything, I don't need to train MMA at an MMA gym to learn the things they teach and compete in amateur and local events..nobody's saying "you're an MMA master if you can fight MMA!" I outspar MMA guys all the time.

MMA is just cross training, the only new thing about it is that it's competitions are regulated.

No you won't be a karate black belt. There's still kihon, Bunkai, and kata, but he you could be a fourth of the way there!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA isn't anything, it's a ruleset.

Everything someone learns in an MMA gym comes from a specific separate style. Call it whatever you want, but when it's picture perfect, unchanged from style A, it's Style A. Not some "new martial art" because you say so or therest a new venue.

Idk which way anyones cutting anything, I don't need to train MMA at an MMA gym to learn the things they teach and compete in amateur and local events..nobody's saying "you're an MMA master if you can fight MMA!" I outspar MMA guys all the time.

MMA is just cross training, the only new thing about it is that it's competitions are regulated.

No you won't be a karate black belt. There's still kihon, Bunkai, and kata, but he you could be a fourth of the way there!

What if I win a karate competition? They have them that don't require kihon or bunkai. Then i would be a karate expert.

Latest Discussions