Training in Muay Thai AND Wing Chun, need some advice

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It seems like a bad combination to me but I'm not sure. I have done bits of WC in the past and I really enjoyed it and would love to keep doing it. Can anyone who knows what they're talking about help me out on this one, what would you recommend?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno...they're both good arts but they fight very differently. At least master one first! I've done WC and dabbled in just a little MT and they don't seem like a seamless match to me.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chalk and cheese mate. I would personally decide what you want to do.

Whereabouts in Portsmouth do you train MT, I'm up the road in Southampton.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
do what you like and live your life ! cause it doesnt matter if you take a stunt man course and take capoera look insde yourself and all the answers will be right there :shooter:

OP
TheWellWisher

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chalk and cheese mate. I would personally decide what you want to do.

Whereabouts in Portsmouth do you train MT, I'm up the road in Southampton.

Train at John Pounds Centre near Gunwharf with Kru Matt Scott. Think I might do BJJ or Judo on the side in a few months once I've reached a good enough standard in Muay Thai. Not that i want to do MMA (Sorry Tez :D). Just like to know if a fight goes to ground on the street then I have something to act on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Train at John Pounds Centre near Gunwharf with Kru Matt Scott. Think I might do BJJ or Judo on the side in a few months once I've reached a good enough standard in Muay Thai. Not that i want to do MMA (Sorry Tez :D). Just like to know if a fight goes to ground on the street then I have something to act on.

LOL! to be honest you may be better doing two MA that are very different rather than two similiar. I don't know anything about Wing Chun ( sorry I just can't call it WC lol)so don't know how it goes with MT. Grappling is fun, useful and doesn't conflict with any stand up style but you'll get good advice on here.

Suicide, have you regressed into a 60s hippie? :ultracool

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It seems like a bad combination to me but I'm not sure. I have done bits of WC in the past and I really enjoyed it and would love to keep doing it. Can anyone who knows what they're talking about help me out on this one, what would you recommend?

It would all depend on what you were after.

Me personally, I have done a little Wing Chun and I like it and I have looked at Muay Thai (not trained it looked at it) and it looks pretty good but if you were looking to understand either you might want to focus on one for a bit before going to the other.

But then again get to comfortable with one you may find the other really hard to do. That is what I ran into when I tried to return to Wing Chun after years of Taiji and a bit of Xingyiquan.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion they are not compatible , don't know much about Muay Thai but from what I have seen they mostly seem to be bouncing around on the balls of their feet.

Where as in Wing Chun at least in my lineage the feet are flat to the floor and we are very sunk down in our stance as well as being square on to the attacker.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm think I'll probably just focus my efforts on becoming a good thai boxer :) Cheers for the advice guys

Oh well, You might as well do the Muay Thai now, while you can. You can always get into Wing Chun/Tsun when you're too old to tolerate the punishment of training that hard anymore!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh well, You might as well do the Muay Thai now, while you can. You can always get into Wing Chun/Tsun when you're too old to tolerate the punishment of training that hard anymore!

That is one of the things I like about TMA in general: you can start them at one point in your life, and keep doing them as an old man and still be good, whereas this is not really feasible with arts like boxing and kickboxing.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score

OK, I train at Lumpini in Southampton.

I also study Xing yi Quan and have found that the fact that they are contradictory, very detrimental to progression in both arts.

If you want to supplement your Muay Thai with something that could help in a 'situation', why don't you try Krav Maga. I attend a class in Bishopstoke on a Thursday, it's very good!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, I train at Lumpini in Southampton.

I also study Xing yi Quan and have found that the fact that they are contradictory, very detrimental to progression in both arts.

If you want to supplement your Muay Thai with something that could help in a 'situation', why don't you try Krav Maga. I attend a class in Bishopstoke on a Thursday, it's very good!

I can add to that Wing Chun and Xingyiquan do not mix well together either.

Latest Discussions